Thread: Anchorages and Fishing Knight Island?

Default Anchorages and Fishing Knight Island?

I'm heading out to Knight Island this week with my family(3-4 nights), anyone have any suggestions on good anchorages or must see spots? Also want to do some fishing while we're there, I'm rigged for anything that swims....anyone want to share some knowledge?

It's a big Island, so it would help if you could narrow down what part of the Island you plan to visit.

I've spent most of my time on the N end and anchor up in Disk Island. It's probably the most protected anchorage in the entire sound, and there is some decent fishing nearby. Just check the charts for pinnacles and drop offs and you'll get into rock fish and lingcod. Drift the points for silver salmon.

Default Cruising Guide to PWS

Seeker,
    Find a copy of Lethcoe's Cruising guide to PWS, western side of course. You'll have plenty of reading and a list of places you'll want to explore after checking it out.
    If there is not a copy for sale, check your local library as they usually have one.
    You will find Silvers down that way along with some whales if your lucky.
    Keep an eye on the shore late at night for bears and deer also.
    As stated above, Disc Is. on the north end is a VERY protected anchorage. Great place to explore from if you have a zodiac to get around in.
    On the eastern side of the Island there are a ton of pinnacles that hold yellow eye and h-but along with rock bass.
    Good luck and be careful. Make sure you are carrying a chart at least. GPS w/charts would be best.
    BK

Default guide

the book store in Whittier has the cruising guide....

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

if you get arund that corner... the Bay of Isles is a great view and safe harbor
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thanks for the info. We were planning to do a circumnavigation of the island stopping at NW bay and Snug Harbor for sure, short end of it is that I put my boat in the water this morning and my bilge was filling with so much water that I had an 1" of water around the mounts of my engine by the time I walked back to the boat from parking the trailer. I pulled the boat, checked the plug and put it back into the water, same thing happened...guess I'll start with the out drive. Real let down.

Nobody wants water in their boat like that ever and I am sorry to hear that it happened. But, while nobody ever wants it to happen, we all know it could happen and when yours happened was quite fortunate. With my luck with Murphy (I hate that guy) it would have happened in 60 foot seas, with 100 mph winds, in a fall snow storm with the temperature falling like a rock about 60 miles from land. Of course I am exaggerating, but just think of how much worse it could have been. At least the problem raised its ugly head at the launch. But, I know it wrecked your outing and that sucks. I hope you get her fixed soon