Thread: Whats up with Sheep Creek?

Default Whats up with Sheep Creek?

Is there a weird glacier up there or what? I've never seen it so silty
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

sheep creek runs out of a lot of beaver ponds and swamp about 7 or 8 miles upstream (maybe farther maybe not? took me hours to 4 wheeler up there to hunt moose with a buddy). whenever it rains up there, even a little bit, it can really get muddy. i was there yesterday fishing above the highway bridge for grayling and it was crystal clear, about 1pm, not sure about down at the slough, but often times the big su backs up and makes it dirty

how far up were you?...a boat running up there can mess the water up pretty bad for a while....so I hear anyways
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

The water at the parks bridge looked very turbid, not super glacial but very dirty, and the water was high which seems weird because everything else was super low.

Lots of Humpies, lots

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    The water at the parks bridge looked very turbid, not super glacial but very dirty, and the water was high which seems weird because everything else was super low.

Lots of Humpies, lots
    you describe exactly what a boat does to that river....depending how far they run up might make it a mess for qute a while...
    pull my finger....

that sounds about right, havent seen many boats up that far but i know they make it up a ways..... while i was fishing the hole above the bridge between 1-2pm it was lower than im used to seeing it and i could see just about every fish in the hole...there were kings, pinks, chums, not many grayling, a few small dollies and some really nice bows, and i could have sworn i saw a fresh silver, but ill never know....i may go back there tonite to check it out again.

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    you describe exactly what a boat does to that river....depending how far they run up might make it a mess for qute a while...
    Not sure a boat will do that for 3 days... I've seen what boats do, it wasn't boat wakes.

Am I insane or has anybody else noticed sheep creek being greyish?

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    th havent seen many boats up that far but i know they make it up a ways.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Lmrr...e=channel_page
    pull my finger....

It was that way a couple of weeks ago when I went up. Montana was low and clear. I thought it was odd too.

I'm guessing there is a snowfield in the Talketnas that drains an uncovered glacier morraine, I've seen the same thing happen in Montana Creek in Juneau...

**** its a lot farther up than i thought, i must be losing my memory or somethin

Default Maybe the rainfall?

I sure could be wrong, but it seems to me that rainfall affects sheep more than the rest of the Parks streams. I probably make it to sheep 20 - 25 days a year for the past 7 or 8 years, and I've noticed the same thing. I didn't really put 2 and 2 together until I got permanent use of a cabin on Caswell Lakes Rd. Seems like when you get those evening downpours,(like we always do in august) we would be forced to hit Goose, Montana, or Willow because sheep would cloud up.

Talking

Wild Rainbow Trout will mess up a creek faster than anything else. They are busy tearing out the King Salmon Reds and stirring up the bottom of the creek, while they are gorging on the eggs. Somebody needs to do something about it, and I mean soon. They are a menace to the creeks.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

fished sheep again by the bridge, upstream and down....water seemed 'slightly' higher and just a little dirty, but still decent viz. tons of pinks and a few chums....my 5 year old daughter caught her first salmon last nite as did my wife, they were both pinks and the kid also landed a chum, ill post some pics later. the tourists were fishing upstream of the bridge and keeping some really nasty pinks.