Thread: Montana Creek Parks hwy 1-2 Aug

Default Montana Creek Parks hwy 1-2 Aug

My wife had her 25 year HS reunion in Anchorage, and I got a little fishing on the way down and back at Montana Creek this weekend. No silvers did I catch nor see any caught. Lots of chums and pinks, purple ESL worked great. I did see 1 coho carcass. spent about 3 hours each day working the train tressel to the mouth.

Fishing alone was not exactly fun for me, but at least I got out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

****Nice Pinks and Chums!

For those who are traveling north on the Parks highway, drop me a line. I live in Wasilla and will help with gas, camping fees, to nail these beauties!

I do not like fishing alone, leaving a "carbon footprint" when I do not have to. I have a couple fishing buddies already on this forum I've yet to hook up with. Work schedules and timing keeps us longing!

By the way, mind if I ask the camera(s) you are using? Oh, and you may consider posting these pics in the photography forum...just *beautiful*...

I have a hard time not knowing how to "tweek" this sites online search engine, to find where I posted about the Montana Creek campground in the past. Knowing I will probably get the usual "1-20 pages" of replies with most of it irrelevant disturbs me!

Anyways, for those who want to slaughter the pinks at Montana Creek, here is the campground update, from an email I sent in late June and just received a response on August first:

I enjoyed my stay this past weekend, from Friday evening until about Saturday noon. I went with my cousin and a friend and stayed at one of the "pull over by a tree, park your truck and set up a tent" sites, next to a tree with a site # nailed into it...My cousin said he paid 25.00 and thought it was good for up to three days? (Our intention was to stay until Monday but someone in our camp wasn't feeling well and we left early)...I'd like to come back this weekend, so if I pick a tent camping spot by the creek - what would I pay upon arrival Friday at 4 pm and leave Sunday evening? Or even leaving Monday morning? Any information would definitely help!

Thank you

PS ...I loved how clean the camp as well as the trails down to the Big Su were...absolutely beautiful!
    And the reply:

The reply, upon checking my email this morning:

Crab, I realize that your requested dates have come and gone. This is not how we normally do business. Due to serious technical difficulties that we've had this summer, we are just now able to read your email. I am writing to apologize for our lack of a prompt response to your email and to express our appreciation that you had an enjoyable visit with us.

In case you didn't get the rate information you wanted, we have a tiered pricing system, depending upon the site you select. Our dry sites are $28 or $33 per night. We also manage the Montana Creek State Recreation Site across the road and charge $20 per night there.

The "Kids' Humpy Derby" is this weekend (August 8 and 9) and silvers are in the creek now. We look forward to seeing you in the future.

Sheila Lankford

Jedi,

Did you run into the "Eskimo" (not sure of the sensitive term to use) kid on a bike, mid-20s, who brags about his family owning the land? He'll claim it and then ask for a beer, if ya can spare one!

I didn't mind him stopping by, being I'm from the South and to meet a native in whatever fashion is cool in my book!

I was there as well. Showed up Saturday afternoon and stayed in the Montana Creek campground on the west side of the Hwy. $20, check out at 6pm. Pretty nice and convenient. A couple friendly neighbors brought me wood at about 11pm when I got back from fishing and was scrounging in the woods for wood. One family also invited me to breakfast and coffee in the mornin'! That was great. Give me hope in humanity... so to speak.

Mainly fishing at the mouth. Tons of humpys in there and plenty of dogs. Didn't see one silver. Although my arms are tired and hands callused.

Hartz,

AWESOME PICS!!!! Thank you a million times!

Do you have any pictures from the railroad trestle? It is my favorite view, to look down into the creek to see what salmon are coming upstream.

is the mouth of montana creek swamped with people..looking for somehwere to take my 5 year old with out driving all the way to hope...pinks are good, a dog would be neat though too.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Nice fish and nice pics, Jedi! Glad you took advantage of your free time and got on the water. That chum is awesome! I've been passing some time throwing flies at chums, but haven't caught any as impressive as that dude. Beautiful fish.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    is the mouth of montana creek swamped with people..looking for somehwere to take my 5 year old with out driving all the way to hope...pinks are good, a dog would be neat though too.
    Check your PM's.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

There were quite a few people there on Sunday afternoon. The morning wasn't nearly as busy (I got down to the river at about 9ish). I was chasing chums, or rather they were dragging me up and down the bank all morning.

Fish were stacked all over so there are plenty of spots if you get there early enough. Lots of familys and kids out.

Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    My wife had her 25 year HS reunion in Anchorage, and I got a little fishing on the way down and back at Montana Creek this weekend. No silvers did I catch nor see any caught. Lots of chums and pinks, purple ESL worked great. I did see 1 coho carcass. spent about 3 hours each day working the train tressel to the mouth.

Fishing alone was not exactly fun for me, but at least I got out.

Sweet!

Looks like I missed out!

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/