Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shrimp Pot Thieves

Default Shrimp Pot Thieves

I was out in the Sound yesterday with my family and dropped two shrimp pots near the water falls in Passage Canal. When I returned to pull them, one was missing? I have read on the forum about people stealing other's pots. Unbelievable!! If you "accidentally" pulled the pot with the buoy marked "Pallozzi" on it, please return it to the address indicated. Thanks.

Default I'll be watching

I'm sure others will be as well. If ya catch'em.............."Davy-Jones" is something I read about somwhere. Maybe? I can't remember...........

Were both pots on one line?
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Hey guys,

No, they were on individual lines, about 100ft apart, in approx. 500ft of water. Not sure why just one was taken but we looked all over for it. We had only been out for about 2 hours and had to follow a buddy back who was having engine problems. We decided to drive by the pots and noticed one was missing. My wife was wondering if anyone has heard of people switching bouys?

After you dropped the pots did you stay around to make sure they actually landed on the bottom? One of them may have floated off if the line got tangled half way up. I think that happens more often than someone stealing a pot.

Default Steep dropoff

Quote Originally Posted by griff View Post
    After you dropped the pots did you stay around to make sure they actually landed on the bottom? One of them may have floated off if the line got tangled half way up. I think that happens more often than someone stealing a pot.
    Passage Canal drops off pretty quickly from both sides. Even if it didn't tangle, it could have just drifted enough in the current to move to an area that was deeper than the line you had on the pot before getting to the bottom. Can't say for sure since I wasn't out there when you set them, but it isn't uncommon for them to float off. When they do this, the buoy is typically much lower in the water and hard to spot.

Did you have plenty??? of weight in the pots??? How much buoyline were you using??? My rule is 25-30% more than the depth you will be fishing. I figue it takes my pots(heavily weighted) about a good 5 min to sink to the bottom in 600ft of water so its a good idea to hang out for a good 10 minutes after setting the gear to see how things are tightening up.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

We came in late last night and there was a low floating orange bouy on the N.E side of Culross Island in about 1200 ft of water, looked like there was a yellow milk jug on it too. We were rushing to get back or I would have stopped and got the info.
    Not saying its yours or that you are wrong, just pointing out that because its not where you left it, doesn't always mean its been stolen.
    Hope you find your gear.

Default Pot loss

There are people working other people's gear out of Whittier. This summer I dropped a couple pots overnight and made sure they were on bottom. When I went out to pick them, I saw a bouy the same color as mine about a quarter mile from where I set my pots and went by just in case. Sure enough it was one of mine. No it didn't drift there by it's self. When I found it, it was 200 feet shallower than when I'd set it. They don't drift uphill. And when I got to the second pot, It was in the right spot, but when I picked it, I noticed that it was latched backwards from the way I latch it. The funny thing was, both had about 35 prawns in them so whoever picked them did so not too long after I set them as the bait continued to fish.

That said, I have seen shrimp pots drifting out of Culross pass before with the tide. It definitely happens that pots get short-lined for one reason or another. Sometime if there is a steep drop off they will drift with the tide on the way down and miss the target depth. I always wait til they are on bottom, then take a depth sounding again to make sure I hit it.

Lastly, it's also possible that someone ran over your buoy line and the buoy got cut off. I found a buoy washed up on the beach near Culross Passage this summer that this had happened to. A good trick is to use floating line attached to the pot to keep it from hanging up on the bottom, but use a shot of sinking line near the surface so you don't have line floating on the surface for boats to run over.

Hey everyone,

I apprecaite all of the input, and realize it's possible my gear was lost. I don't like to accuse anyone of theft, but I am pretty sure this gear was not lost. I have been doing this for years and definitely waited around to make sure the pots were on the bottom, and with plenty of weight and line to hold. I only suspect theft because the other pot I dropped (beside the missing one) had only drifted a short distance from the original spot on the GPS. Also, I had originally come back after a couple of hours (due to my buddies engine problems) and it was gone.

Oh well, I know one thing, I will replace that gear and continue to shrimp because nothing taste better!

On another note, a friend of mine said the Silvers are real thick in Valdez.

I soaked four pots on separate lines for about eight hours yesterday and when I checked them one of them had not one shrimp in it... It still had pleanty of bait so I think someone must have poached my pot..

if you guys think you are getting robbed just tie wrap the doors and see what they tell you next time you pull your gear.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Hey dbull66,

Sorry to hear about that.

Potbuilder, how much weight do you typically have in your pots???

Quote Originally Posted by WVBoy View Post
    Hey dbull66,

Sorry to hear about that.

Potbuilder, how much weight do you typically have in your pots???
    Aprox 10 additional lbs per pot and i'm going to add more this winter.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by dbull66 View Post
    I soaked four pots on separate lines for about eight hours yesterday and when I checked them one of them had not one shrimp in it... It still had pleanty of bait so I think someone must have poached my pot..
    That is very possible. Just a couple of weeks ago before the big blow and the rough seas I sat out there in my boat in an area that had pots while drifting about fishing and a boat pulled up and emptied the pots and I thought nothing of it. Not much more than an hour later or so I heard a boat pull up to the area where the pots were and I thought to myself that must be the best shripping spot on earth as that was a short soak. But, after getting the binos out, it was a different vessel and these guys put the pots on board. I suppose they were theirs? Beats me. I don't know if I watched somebody's shrimp get stolen or somebody's pots get jacked. But, something strange seemed to be up.

I don't know that I'd leave my pots (if I had any and was in the least bit interested in shripping) out there for very long as this seems to be fairly common place. What a shame. I wish people would leave other people's stuff alone.

Hey potbuilder,

Wow, 10 additional pounds! I have to be honest and tell you I don't have that much weight in my pots. I know you are very knowledgeable about shrimping (from reading prior threads), and trust your judgement. You said you are thinking of adding more? Is that because you've had some problems with drifting even with 10 additional pounds of weight?

Hey T.R. It makes you wonder what you saw doesn't it? But like you said, it sure would be nice if people would respect other's property.

Myself and some other boats were working our pots all in the same area for a weekend, one of the boats ran over my bouy as I was heading to grab it. We both were on a collision course for each other, I radioed the guy to wake up! He just didn't see the bouy and ran right over it, he apologized and we all resumed shrimping.
    I don't know about shrimping in Passage canal anymore, to many pots, theives can see far and see what boats are where, they can get your gear and go before you figure out it was your gear they got. Areas far out to sea might be safer; you can figure out what vessels are where, possibly catch up to a suspected boat, be around less traffic, and be in a cove closer to your set than in Passage canal.

[QUOTE=WVBoy;547495]Hey potbuilder,

Wow, 10 additional pounds! I have to be honest and tell you I don't have that much weight in my pots. I know you are very knowledgeable about shrimping (from reading prior threads), and trust your judgement. You said you are thinking of adding more? Is that because you've had some problems with drifting even with 10 additional pounds of weight?

I like'em extra heavy so they sink fast and hit the target i'm trying to fish & stay there although i've had them go aways (when sinking to the bottom) on the times when the current was ripping on some big tides. Once they get on the bottom they stay there and besides i'm usually hung down on some rockpile alot of times. If they are extra heavy then 99.9% of the theives won't be able to pull them with the toy pullers they have , but i'm always close by keeping a eye on things . I've got a heavy duty hauler(puller) i built with a high torque hydraulic motor on it, its never stopped pulling yet even when hung down solid, so if somebody does set over me i can either pull fast and just chafe off their pots and burn through their rope or pull the whole ball up and cut my way out of it. 25 years of lobsta' fishing taught me a lot of tricks in the pot business. I had a big powerful hauler on the lobsta' boat, i could haul up a 40 pot ball of pots if the rope didn't part off.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Default That is what I wonder

I think that you must just use the sinking line? The floating poly is not near as strong as the sinking line you sold me last year....that poly scares me - and I only have 3 of 5 pots weighted...I pull with a bouy so I don't have the "feel" for whether my pots are stuck or not.

That reminds me - I need to get another rigid pot and some shrimp crack from you - are you going to be in Anchorage anytime in the next 2 weeks?

Quote Originally Posted by dbull66 View Post

I was out Monday as well and had my pots in sight all day long, pulled them the first time and had nothing in them so I moved to a different area and reset. Pulled them there the second time and still got nothing. These are areas that I have pulled good numbers up in before and I used the same bait so I don't know what's going on. But I do suspect that my pots have been a couple times this year when I have left them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast