Thread: Leica Ultravids 8x32 or 10x42?

Default Leica Ultravids 8x32 or 10x42?

I'm planning on buying both eventually, but probably only one in the near future. Which would be the best all around until I have both to choose from? In other words if you could only choose one which would you want for everything?

Brett

Personally I prefer the 8 powers. The 10's start getting a bit shakey for me while glassing. I give up a little magnification, but the way I look at it is that I generally have my spotting scope with me as well so if I really need a better look than what the 8's are giving me, Ibreak out the spotting scope. Jmo

Forum Sponsor

I love the 8x32. The size and weight are excellent and the 8 for general use is the way to go
    If there is anything I can answer for you or assist you with please let me know.
    Thanks and have a great day,
    Doug
    Camera Land
    1-866-9-optics
    1-516-217-1000
    gr8fuldoug@aol.com

For chasing animals around the mountain I prefer the 10's. I have picked up my friends 8's and I find the reduction in power both noticeable and annoying. I end up thinking to my self "that is PROBABLY" not a sheep way too often. This means that I may be passing over animals that I would see w/ 10's or that I am breaking out the spotter to verify that what I am looking at truly is just a pile of snow or a rock.
    I don't notice any shake w/ my 10's at all, but if I am going to be glassing for a while I usually set up where I can support the glass w/ my knees under my elbows. For just woods hunting to cut the darkness I can see going w/ the 8's and the wider field of view but for scanning distant mountain sides I will take the extra power.

I have a pair of Nikon 8x32 LXL,10x42 Leica BN,and a pair of Zeiss 8x42 Victory FL w/loutec.The first two rarely leave the safe unless someone else needs them.Just picked up a pair of Pentax DCF LV 9x28 that are really clear and bright,they will probably be my new sheep glass.

8x glass are great Alaskan binos.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Adam Barringer View Post
    I'm planning on buying both eventually, but probably only one in the near future. Which would be the best all around until I have both to choose from? In other words if you could only choose one which would you want for everything?

Brett
    I've owned several various quality optics in the 10x42 and 10x40 size, when I stacked them up against the Leica 10x32 trinovids a few years back (my first purchase from Cameraland) I've switched forever. Eventually I got a pair of the ultravids in 10x32 and they whittle away at the performance differences between 42mm and 32mm glass even more than the Trinovids did. I personally see no reason to own and pack the extra glass and housing built to accomodate the 42mm stuff.

I can hold my 10x Uvids just fine for the type of glassing I do, clearly the 8 would give even greater field of view and I believe would be the "second best" set of ultravids out there!

You cant go wrong with a set of Leicas, and you cant go wrong with Doug there at Cameraland either.