Thread: Leica Range Finders CRF/LRF/Pinmaster Clarification

Exclamation Leica Range Finders CRF/LRF/Pinmaster Clarification

After some discussion about rangefinders on two other threads on this forum, I think I may have mislead some folks. The Leica Rangefinder that I was so impressed with was the CRF 1200.
    Personally, I would not spend a dime on the LRF or the Pinmaster (similar, but different name/color from what I gather). The Pinmaster was developed for golfers, believe it or not. It was a hope that these would take a liking on the course to range how far your ball was from the pin. I think it was a marketing failure and it never took. They tried marketing it to sportsmen, but the unit has no waterproof or water repellent qualities whatsoever. I have heard that a day of heavy fog or high humidity will cause the electronics to go out in it. Just thought I'd clear that up before I sent someone shelling out $450 for something I wouldn't buy myself. If you are interested in spending the cash, I would not hesitate to buy the Leica CRF 1200.
    ...amazing optics
    ...simple to use
    ...small
    ...watertight to 3.2'
    ...great eye relief 15mm

Sorry if I mislead anyone, hope this clears the dust!

Default Update...

Spoke with a Swarvoski rep today and I told him a few things I would improve about their rangefinder. I stated that it was difficult to read the display, it was larger and heavier than I want to lug around, and that the optics didn't seem to be as sharp as the Leica. He was very receptive and agree, but was quick to point out that Swaro uses the same glass in their rangefinder as they do in their other optics and that Leica uses cheaper glass in their finders...
    First of all, I find it hard to believe that Swaro uses the same glass in all their optics (EL and SLC might be the same glass, but the coatings must be different or the prism system is different or something). Second, at first, second, and third glance the Leica was much clearer and collected far more light than the Swaro. Third, I struggled to read the display on the Swaro and the Leica was BRIGHT BRIGHT! I haven't found out the details about Leica's glass yet, but golleee it proved itself to me and that's a hard sale to make!
    Swaro may have me sold on their binos, but they are going to have to make some improvements to their rangefinder before I dump 800 bucks on one!

Josh 8 bills really isn't neccessary for a range finder dude. Its your cash but the Bushnell mid line ones work pretty **** good and they under $250. Thats the one piece of gear you'll use the least guaranteed. I have a Bushnell Scout that has never failed me. Sheep, Caribou, Moose, and small game at sub zero temps. It hasn't missed a lick. Its your money to spend however you want just giving you my opinion.

Default $800 will be well spent...on a wheeler!!

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Josh 8 bills really isn't neccessary for a range finder dude. Its your cash but the Bushnell mid line ones work pretty **** good and they under $250. Thats the one piece of gear you'll use the least guaranteed. I have a Bushnell Scout that has never failed me. Sheep, Caribou, Moose, and small game at sub zero temps. It hasn't missed a lick. Its your money to spend however you want just giving you my opinion.
    No worries there bud. I've never used one in my life until just recently checking them out in the stores (and their parking lots) and I'll be darned if I am going to drop that kind of money. I read now how I may have come across like I had made the Leica purchase, I was really just trying to correct some information I stated earlier which may have been misleading to others. I think I will let this thread die now so I don't have to try and explain myself to everyone! I'm going to stick with you and seems like most everyone on here and go with the Bushnell or Nikon. Just waiting for that internet deal to come up...let me know if you come across one!!
    Joshua

Doug at Cameraland has the Leica demos for a good price, I just cant justify any need if you know what I mean. The little Bushy and I have become pretty good buddies in the last 3-4 years, he hasn't lied to me yet.

Doug is still more than I want to spend. I'm going to assume my partner is going to have one to do a double-read. I'm not big on taking chances and wounding an animal. I have a hard time judging distance when I'm in the hills, but if I can get withing 200-300 yards of an animal, it's a sad day for them! Knockin all over wood right now!!

I have a Leica 800 yard rangefinder. It's everything you'd expect from Leica. Well built, accurate, good optics. It deosn't do anything my buddy's Bushnell can't do. Nada. In fact, the Bushnell's size is much easier to use and it can be used effectively one-handed. Advantage Bushnell.

Default leica

have had the 1200 foe about 1 year- that thing will show ya deer further than you can shoot----

I had a nikon Monarch 800, supposdly an 800 yd rangefinder, it would hardly range 400. I couldnt range caribou on open terrain at 450 yds. And the glass is TERRIBLE. Just like the new leupolds, if its nearing dark, dont even bother trying. I love my leica LRF 900. I have ranged moose at 600+ yds! tree lines ate 990. I feel you cant go with anything better.

Dont forget about the Swaro. It might be the same glass, but look at the size of the objective lens. It is small, About as bright as it can be for what, 21 mm?
    Steve

I bought the Leica 1200s this fall and have made two hunts with them. I went to buy the Nikons and made the mistake of looking through the Leicas first, there was no comparison in clarity. I am glad I own them, they a vital part of my hunting equipment.
    An unarmed person is a victim waiting to happen.

I take back my earlier statements about the Leica not being worth it. Momma aske me what i would really like for XMAS this year and that she wanted to buy something really nice, nicer than usual (guess I was good this year) and I told here I would really like to get a Leica Rangefinder. Got the CRF1200 from Doug and all I can say is holy cow! Super crisp images ranges out past 1000 yards right now! If your gonna get one the Leica is the Bomb IMO, disregard my earlier posts in this thread. The Leica rocks! Oh and Dougs prices put all others to shame. I saved a bunch of money on mine!

Cub, you wernt that good this year so stop your B.S'n Stop holdin out on me about your new toys. Lucky rascall all I got was a watch. LOL

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

I just ordered in several of the Leupold RX III Digital Range Finders. Gonna be ordering some of the RX IV next week.