Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kenai Twitch

Default Kenai Twitch

When i am doing the Kenai twitch, i usually use a coho fly. Is the any other flies or something that might work better??

thanks

Yeah - a wieghted treble hook. The "kenai twitch" is not necessary to catch reds. Try doing without it.......its more fun and sportsmanlike that way.

a comet with a quality hook is a good one.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Default Kenai Twitch

Kenai Twitch aka SNAGGING

use a weighted fly, that will keep your leader paralelle to the bottom making it more effective without twitching, the reason folks have to twitch is to get the fly down
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

this is usually how people catch them in the russian, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Theone2 View Post
    this is usually how people catch them in the russian, right?
    The flip and drift is pretty much the only way to catch them there. But the "twitch" is the big hook set some do at the end of every drift. This is completely unnecessary and almost always results in a foul hooked fish.

Try the drift without setting the hook until you feel resistence and you will get a much better legally-hooked-fish rate and you will piss off less of your fishing neighbors.

As far as the fly, there are a few other options but standard russian river/coho flies with a sharp hook work fine. The main thing is to have the right amount of weight and proper leader length for the current you are fishing.

The weighted fly sounds like a good idea and is something I've been meaning to try but I have yet to do so.
    -

Well guys here are a few things i found. One i dont like Coho flies. I dont think my hook ups were as good and i lost/missed more fish with them. I used Gamakatsu octopus hooks with a bit of yarn tied and glued to the hook. I also tied some with bucktail. Color did not make a real difference. I used them on a 3ft snell of 25lb mono to a swivel and a few really big splitshot next to the swivel so the swivel would not let it slide to the hook. you of course had to vary the number of splitshot to match the conditions to the get the tick of the bottom as you made your drift. I did not do the famous Kenai twitch. I found most of the fish right next to shore. 85% were caught within 5ft of shore. I used an 8.5ft Ugly Stick and i loved it. I used a Pflueger President spinning reel and loved that as well. At one point i was catching fish behind people. They finally got it figured out and backed up.

My biggest suprise was the lack of snagged fish. Of the many i caught only two were snagged. Both snagged in the tail. I thought it would be a much bigger problem. After a week of fishing and many fish caught it was a small percentage. Both fish were released and swam off like nothing happened. I also caught a 4lb Dolly and a 5lb Rainbow. Both were released as i had no clue about the law on them and i was not interested in them anyway and had no desire to catch any of them. Fishing Reds on the Kenai was a real blast to say the least. What a great fishery!

I have had good luck in places with a piece of yard through an egg loop on a 2/0 gami and an egg bead glued on. Poor man's egg sucking leach. It is cheap and I can change colors in an instant if needed. You can adjust the length of the yarn to put it in the right depth and effect the drift. Check the regs where you are fishing about the bead. Some places you can't use one that is not attached to the "fly;" if memory serves anyway. Replace the rig as soon as your hooks arenít sticky anymore.

I've used yarn for steelhead and the theory I was told is that it hangs up in the teeth of the fish and gives you a split second longer to feel the hit and set the hook.....not sure if true but appears to make a difference......just subjective observation.

I use yarn and a Gamakatsu salmon hook. They are 100X times sharper and 100X stronger. I will never use coho flies again.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default No Coho Flies

I use a 4/0 Gamagatsu with a piece of yarn; I lose WAY less fish this way.

Default Hook Size

Isn't there a 3/8" limit on the distance between the barb and the shank of the hook? I suspect this is just in the Russian as well?
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Default illegal in fly fishing only areas

Using yarn in an egg loop isn't legal in fly fishing only areas like the upper Kenai. According to the regs the the fly must be of standard artifical fly construction.

Just to clarify for those that are not aware. I used to do that myself as well as tying yarn on the hook etc. until I learned better. Of course the 2/0 hook isn't legal in the upper Kenai either so I assume you were fishing elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by akshrop View Post
    I have had good luck in places with a piece of yard through an egg loop on a 2/0 gami and an egg bead glued on. Poor man's egg sucking leach. It is cheap and I can change colors in an instant if needed. You can adjust the length of the yarn to put it in the right depth and effect the drift. Check the regs where you are fishing about the bead. Some places you can't use one that is not attached to the "fly;" if memory serves anyway. Replace the rig as soon as your hooks arenít sticky anymore.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    use a weighted fly, that will keep your leader paralelle to the bottom making it more effective without twitching, the reason folks have to twitch is to get the fly down
    Folks:

What Fife failed to mention is that in some of the Kenai / Russian 'Fly fishing Only' areas, NO weighted hooks / flies may be used....

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Static/Statewide/regulations/southcentral/SCkenai.pdf

Default Clarification

My 4/0 Gamagatsu rig is used around Bings Landing, not the upper fly only part of the Kenai.

Default Gami hooks

I've broken the whole points off a number of the Gami Russian River pattern hooks in regular fishing in the upper Kenai. They were obviously hardened to the point they became brittle.

The Gami hooks also have a much smaller barb that the Mustad etc. I'm not sure if the smaller barb is significant or not.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    I use yarn and a Gamakatsu salmon hook. They are 100X times sharper and 100X stronger. I will never use coho flies again.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I guess I should have clarified that I haven't fished the Russian for many many years....I fish reds in the lower Kenai.

Quote Originally Posted by NickofTime View Post
    Folks:

What Fife failed to mention is that in some of the Kenai / Russian 'Fly fishing Only' areas, NO weighted hooks / flies may be used....

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Static/Statewide/regulations/southcentral/SCkenai.pdf
    Read the definition of a weighted hook, it reads less than 1/4 ounce. That would mean most "weighted" flies are consideres unweighted by state regulation.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default I would soon

be a dead man if I tried to cast a weighted fly weighing over 1/4 ounce. If you wonder what I'm saying, you obviously haven't seen me with a fly rod lately (Coroner: "well at least he died happy", observer: "but how did he get that fly in and out of both ears???")
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast