Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warmth vs weight

Default Warmth vs weight

Fellow sheep hunters,

My questions is simple:

Wiggy's 20 deg. 4lb sleeping bag or Wiggy's 35 deg. outershell (lighter) sleeping bag.

Going into the Wrangells on the 9th.

What would you do???

Default 20

I'd use the 20....

Depends on how much walking your going to do and how much your concerned about wieght. I'd go with the lighter bag and bring a sleeping pad along. A lightweight sleeping pad will add to the warmth of your bag, and sleep with a cap on your head. The key is to sleep "comfortable", not exactly warm. If you sweat in your bag, it's too warm. I sleep with a cap on and nothing else. And I mean nothing. Especially with the warm weather we've been having I think the lighter bag would be fine. Remember dress in loose layers. And if it's too cold in your bag you can add a loose layer of clothing.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Default Wiggys 15 degree glacier Hunter bag

This bag is lighter than all those you mention, I bought one in the spring from Wiggys Alaska. You might have your numbers mixed up with the weights and type of bag.

We had below freezing temps and snow last year in the Wrangels from the 10th-15th and lots of cold cold wind. Had to break ice to pump water from the puddles by the tent. I'd take the 20 degree but I sleep cold. I suppose it depends on your tent also. Do you have a 4 season warm tent or an ultralite 2/3 season bug screen with a fly?

But, the year before it was warm warm warm.

I would go no higher than 20 degrees, but I sleep cold and don't like to wear much to bed (but I do at least wear SOMETHING). I can't imagine being out in the middle of nowhere with nothing warmer than a 35 degree bag. You just never know...

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    This bag is lighter than all those you mention, I bought one in the spring from Wiggys Alaska. You might have your numbers mixed up with the weights and type of bag.
    The Glacier hunter was my solution!

I now have a wiggys 0*, 35* overbag, and the 15* glacier hunter as well as a TNF cats meow 20*. All are great bags but the glacier hunter is my choice for my Kodiak goat hunt this year. I would not take my overbag alone for anything except summer camping!! First let me clarify it is a great bag and the quality is definately there BUT it is an overbag designed to be able to fit such monsters as the ultima thule inside of it. That means there is TONS of free space inside the bag, free space that you will need to heat w/ your body! So you really only have one choice here and that is the 20* bag UNLESS Marc has another Glacier hunter in stock and you can fit it in the budget.

BTW I like the Cats Meow bag (especially for it's price) though it is pretty narow and I do get a little chilled in it when the temp gets south of the freezing mark!

Default Thank you guys

This is what I truly love about this site.

I have my 20 deg packed already, but was thinking I can lighten up by switching to the overbag. I just wasn't comfortable with doing it. That is why I threw it to the "boys".

I'd rather have the extra weight "in case". Honestly, it isn't the weight that bothers me, it is the bulk. I love the bag, it just doesn't compress very well.

I don't have a choice, the 20 deg is the bag.

good luck all

sully

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    I have the Glacier hunter and the overbag and the overbag is lighter. For this fall I'll be using the overbag with a 20 oz 40 degree down bag inside. The setup combined with pretty darn toasty (easily warmer than the 20 degree bags I've used in the past) and light. Also this allows you to take either light bag away from camp and to use as part of your bivy setup as well. Just something to thing about. Also in late fall I can slide the 40 degree down bag inside the glacier hunter and I'm good to well past 0. Just opens up more options.

You made a good choice with the Ultralight (20 degree), that's the same bag i've been using for about 3-4 years now and it has never let me down. One day I do want to get that Glacier bag but for now the Iltralight will have to suffice.

Default Ive used the overbag for the last 3 seasons

I use the overbag with a groundpad, its lighter and much less bulky. Havent really had to, but figure if need be, I can sleep with all my clothes on.

Default Bag weight

Take the 35 degree bag and pack along a Down jacket and pant set. iI it gets really cold wear them inside the bag at night. I have a North Face Dwn jacket that weights next to nothing and packs down to a 6 inch ball. The pant are even smaller.

If you can get your hands on a military poncho liner, have it sewn into a bag liner. They weigh less than a pound and add 15 degrees to any bag.

I am considering going with one of these bags from golite. The plan would be to use it in summer alone on super light hikes and then use it and my aircore pad inside the wiggys overbag for fall hunts. It could even be added inside my super-light, inside my overbag, to sleep through a nuclear winter...

For early season, I use a North Face Propel- 22 oz. w/ 40 degree rating. I use a Cabelas Bivy Bag and wear my fleece jacket and down vest to bed. It's a bit chilly at times but I don't think you can get much lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I am considering going with one of these bags from golite. The plan would be to use it in summer alone on super light hikes and then use it and my aircore pad inside the wiggys overbag for fall hunts. It could even be added inside my super-light, inside my overbag, to sleep through a nuclear winter...
    Now where do you get that idea?

Default Since you're asking...

TNF 20 * Cat's Meow, 2.6 lbs... Good Luck.

i still use down, Marmot 15 or 32 degree bags. if you have outerwear, like a synthetic down jacket or something, that will work great in a 30 degree bag. never gotten my down bags wet. they are a lot lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by hre814 View Post
    i still use down, Marmot 15 or 32 degree bags. if you have outerwear, like a synthetic down jacket or something, that will work great in a 30 degree bag. never gotten my down bags wet. they are a lot lighter.
    Second the down idea. In an OR gear waterproof stuffsack, you will be good to go.
    However, that means buying a new bag.
    What i do is take the lightest bag i can, and bring along one of those silver Mylar "emergency" sacks. Not the blanket, but the sack (tube).
    If it gets cool, just where this inside your bag. Amazing how well they work. You can get a bit clammy, but you'll be warm, and its light, light, light.

Quote Originally Posted by Cast&Blast View Post
    TNF 20 * Cat's Meow, 2.6 lbs... Good Luck.
    Just curious, have you weighed yours? Mine weighs 3lbs 4.7 ozs in the stuff sack.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast