Thread: help needed for silvers using a fly rod in Valdez?

Default help needed for silvers using a fly rod in Valdez?

I will be in Valdez visiting an Alaska friend of mine the last week of August.

I know that he trolls for silver salmon in Prince William Sound from his 28 foot boat.

I am interested in trying to catch silvers using my fly rods.

Any suggestion how I might try this from his boat?

He has a raft where he could put me on shore near a stream while he went trolling but I need a suggestions for a location.

Are there any rivers that I could access from the Richardson Hwy where I could try my luck for the silvers?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Ron Liljedahl

Default Interesting question

Couple of fun things.

First you can catch Silvers incomine and outgoing tides off Allison Point with a fly rod, spinners and roe all work and all are fun. I find the incoming tide better but again that is my opinion and not necessarily the best time just what I like to do. When I go I fish bright green tandem flies seems to work well always weighted and always stripped.

Rivers on the way down little limited the Tonsina has a reasonable run of fish and your timing is not bad.

Couple years back sent a friend down with similar flies they fished them out of a zodiak and did fine. If your in Fairbanks stop by the shop I will give you a couple of samples to use no money just some free flies.

Have fun and tight lines.

Blue Moose
    www.bluemooserafting.com