Thread: 1995 Yahama 2 Stoke Oil Problems

Default 1995 Yahama 2 Stoke Oil Problems

As it always happens - I was 25 miles from nowhere yesterday out of Seward when I got an engine alarm on my 1995 - 150hp Yahama 2 stroke.
    After checking several things it was determined that the main oil tank pump was not pumping the oil up to the aux tank mounted on the engine. We ended up using an outboard hose and manually pumping the oil up to the aux tank (twice) to get back.
    Question: Is this a common problem? I have never heard of anyone having any problems with these oil pumps on the Yahama systems? I have heard that some people have removed this tank system and just premix the
    oil in the tank - any ideas or comments would be appreciated.
    I always use the Yahama lube oil - so I know that's not he problem.
    How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

Default Yahama 2 stroke Oil Pump Problems

After a little research and a talk with the dealer it was determined the tiny small inline filter on the back of the main oil tank had plugged. I would encourage anyone that has a Yahama 2 stroke to check that filter and change it. It may save you from a VERY BAD day on the water.
    Also take the tank out and drain it - check for any old oil in the bottom thats starting to settle.
    Last edited by akfishnut; 08-04-2009 at 19:32. Reason: spelling
    How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

Post good job! mixing the fuel was the way out...

(Yahama lube oil - so I know that's not he problem) ...... remember that Yahama don't make oil...they have it made for them .... the spec's is what counts... .02/free
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......