Thread: Just moved to Bethel, AK...

Default Just moved to Bethel, AK...

from Portland, OR. Did a search for Bethel and Kuskokwim and found some good info on here to get me started. Back in Oregon, along with lots of hunting, I fished for salmon and steelhead regularly. Had a little 16' Smokercraft that could get me out on some of the medium sized rivers, but I'm not gonna ship it...just buy a new one eventually. I'm mostly into DIY fishing and hunting, and not interested in hiring a guide. Not that I have a problem with it, I'm just addicted to "figuring it out" in a new place. I'm happy to spend the money on a pilot, if necessary, but I'd love to eventually be self sufficient out here and not forced to rely on anyone else.

Any help on how to get started out here, the fishing techniques, possible rivers to explore, etc. is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Here's a couple pictures from Oregon to make opening this thread somewhat worth it...thanks.

2008 coho

Probably my last steelhead in Oregon for a few years

Default plenty of silvers

You should find plenty of silvers there just up the kuskokwim 1/2 hr or so. There are a lot of great streams in the area to float for fishing but they will require a fly in & few days to float out. In the meantime I would just try & stay close & hit the local silvers & waterfowl.