Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just moved to Bethel, AK....

Default Just moved to Bethel, AK....

from Portland, OR. Did a search on Bethel and Kuskokwim and found some great info on the site to get me started. Just wondering if you guys had any more information that might help me out here? Back in Oregon, I hunted elk, deer, waterfowl and upland birds. The last 4 years, all my big game has been primarily bowhunting...I just can't get enough of it. I've got all my gear sitting in storage in Oregon, just waiting to be mailed to me...I just don't know what to send? Waterfowl gear? Big game?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

PM sent for info.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Here's a couple of pictures from Oregon to make opening this page somewhat worth it.

My 2008 archery bull

Some Portland area ducks

Some Oregon coast widgeon

And my good buddy "Chief" I had to leave behind back in Oregon

nice, I'm moving up the river a bit to Tuluksak Saturday. I havn't been up there yet and don't know a whole lot about hunting/ fishing up there. One word of wisdom don't try and sneak by with a resident tag, a couple people from my school district got nailed last year. Also look at the prices for big game, it's not cheap till your a resident.

Waterfowl gear a must in the Y-K!!!!!!
    There are few opportunities to hunt big game the 1st yr. as a non-resident in the Y-K but plan on bringing your gear regardless. You can hunt moose in a few areas for non-res but transportion is the main issue to getting around. A few muskox reg permits that is first come-first serve but again you will be paying non-res fees and needing the transportation.

Talking

No help on the Bethel area, but judging from your photos, I will wager you will be disappointed in the move.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Yup....right about Mid November your gonna miss Chief and the Ore Ree Gone Coast Duckin.

Good luck out there.

Why? haha, jk. Nitroman is a ton of info.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Why thank you sir! I do what I can!
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Anybody know where I can get my teeth worked on? Good to see ya buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by fishinpox View Post
    Anybody know where I can get my teeth worked on? Good to see ya buddy!
    I do...although right now, you're gonna have to see someone else, I'm fishin'.

Why did you move looks like you had it made for hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Orelk6x6 View Post
    from Portland, OR. Did a search on Bethel and Kuskokwim and found some great info on the site to get me started. Just wondering if you guys had any more information that might help me out here? Back in Oregon, I hunted elk, deer, waterfowl and upland birds. The last 4 years, all my big game has been primarily bowhunting...I just can't get enough of it. I've got all my gear sitting in storage in Oregon, just waiting to be mailed to me...I just don't know what to send? Waterfowl gear? Big game?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Wow, "Just moved from Portland to Bethel", don't really know what to say except I'm sorry to hear that. Nice chocolate though.

OK...fess up. What law are you running from.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Default Bethel Contact.

Sent you PM

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    Why did you move looks like you had it made for hunting
    I moved for work.

Oregon is great, because you have the opportunity to hunt and fish year round...and it's not -20 degrees. On the downside though, salmon and steelhead runs are getting smaller and smaller, and as a result, seasons are shrinking. I think we got 7 days this year to fish for Spring Chinook with a 1 fish limit. A multitude of problems face Oregon's fish and wildlife...almost all a result of the ever growing population. Maybe it's like that everywhere, but there's relatively few people here in AK for the amount of land.

There's A LOT of "red tape" to hunt in Oregon, especially waterfowl on the wildlife areas.

I'm gonna miss it though, it can be great fishing and hunting once you figure out how things work. Missing archery elk season this year is painful. But, I'm VERY excited to see what the state of Alaska has to offer...sorry guys, I may never leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Orelk6x6 View Post
    ...sorry guys, I may never leave.
    As long as you stay in Bethel I am OK with you staying as long as you want.

Now, go learn to fly and get a cub on floats so that you can really get out and enjoy the Y-K Delta.

Once you have lived there for a year (12 months), you will have 2 waterfowl seasons a year, spring and fall. You will need a boat. You will also have year round hunting. Not right at your doorstep, but within travelling distance. Yes, there will be times it is 20 below..........deal with it! There will also be times it is mid jan. and 40 above. You will learn to prefer the 20 below in winter. 10 above is better really. You can hunt wolves there........can't do that in Or. Griz are around, not in Or. Moose pop. on the rise and increasing hunting opportunities locally. For a few bucks you can go out to Nunivak and get an Ox...........do they have those in Or.? Caribou often within boating or snowmobile distance. Last year they were 12 miles from town for a while. More species of waterfowl to hunt I believe. Nice big swans.
    Fishing up the ying yang........if you have a boat, or a cub on floats.
    There's more to hunt and fish arount BET than you'll have time or money to do.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

+1 on what Martentrapper said.

I lived there for 5 years. Had a boat, snowmachine, and a champ. Sport fish for trout, grayling, char up the rivers, silvers in August. King fishing is only done subsistence style, with a drift net. Head up river during the fall for moose or 'bou and take your fishin' rod. Winter caribou out by Three Step Mt., Lots of waterfowl.

Bethel can be quite trying, but you will meet some really good people there. Be a glass is half full kinda guy, and you'll have a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Once you have lived there for a year (12 months), you will have 2 waterfowl seasons a year, spring and fall. You will need a boat. You will also have year round hunting. Not right at your doorstep, but within travelling distance. Yes, there will be times it is 20 below..........deal with it! There will also be times it is mid jan. and 40 above. You will learn to prefer the 20 below in winter. 10 above is better really. You can hunt wolves there........can't do that in Or. Griz are around, not in Or. Moose pop. on the rise and increasing hunting opportunities locally. For a few bucks you can go out to Nunivak and get an Ox...........do they have those in Or.? Caribou often within boating or snowmobile distance. Last year they were 12 miles from town for a while. More species of waterfowl to hunt I believe. Nice big swans.
    Fishing up the ying yang........if you have a boat, or a cub on floats.
    There's more to hunt and fish arount BET than you'll have time or money to do.
    No doubt, there many more hunting and fishing opportunities here, than back in Oregon...given the time and resources. Hopefully, I'll have both of those, but that's yet to be seen.

Here's a quick question that I'll ask here, before calling F&G about it: I've bought my non-res fishing/hunting license. I realize that I'll need to buy another in Jan. That's not a problem. What I'm wondering is, can I buy a RESIDENT license next Aug. when I've been here 12 months, even if I already hold a non-resident license for that year? Sure would be nice to get a caribou for next winter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast