Thread: going up past deadhorse

Default going up past deadhorse

i read that you cannot take personal vehicles past deadhorse, or is it that you have to pay a fee like a state park?

next question is there any fishing to be done in the arctic ocean?i can catch halibut all day long from the beach down on the kenai peninsula, is there the opportunity for cod or pollock or anything like that from the beach or is it not possible?

To get out to the ocean you have to go through the security gates on the fields run by BP.

I don't think it is going to happen.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I think the airport and Brooks Range grocery store is the end of your line.

There is really nothing available in the ocean, or at least there is no access to the ocean from Deadhorse. There are however lots of Arctic char and Artic grayling in the rivers accessable from the haul road.

You have to have a background check done before you get there. You then can only access it by their tour bus. There really isn't anything to see 'cept the big pond.
    EricL

I took the tour bus last year in Deadhorse to kill some time. Pretty hokey and a waste of time. It's the only way to get past the gates without clearance. They let you get out and go down to the beach for a couple minutes - if you can call it a beach. I could find no way to get to the ocean on your own and certainly no chance to fish on the tour.

I've caught Char in the arctic ocean out by west dock, but unless you have a badge to get on the field, you won't be able to fish there. Got some real nice ones out there over the years, including a couple well over 30".

He could move to Nuiqsut, then they would let him on the road to Oliktok Point. heh
    “When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.” attributed to Thomas Jefferson

I drove up past Deadhorse a couple years ago, no problems. Had dinner at the cafeteria and fueled up at the gas station if you can call it that. It's more of a shack with a fuel pump in it.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

You could always float the Sag river and come out into the arctic ocean. But there are signs once you get into the BP lease stating that you could be prosecuted for trespassing if you step foot on shore. As far as paddling back up the Sag, it might be kinda difficult. There are Char and Greyling in the Sag river.
    -Caleb-