Thread: E.R. Shaw custom rifles!

Default E.R. Shaw custom rifles!

The nearly 100 year old barrel manufacturer has expanded it's operation to include it's own custom rifle division. The new Heritage Mark VII rifle line sounds pretty nice and the one I read about in one of the gun rags came in at under 1K which is unbelievable! they are built on a savage action which is likely the reason for the cheap price. I have not priced them out myself but I did email them to get a list of options. My next rifle will be an ultralight mountain gun and they don't offer anything in that realm. They do have over 80 different chamberings though!

Here is the email I received back from them. If anyone is interested.

Good afternoon
    Thanks for asking about the ER Shaw Mark VII rifle. Due to the fact that the Mark VII can be manufactured and assembled in a few hundred different combinations based on the options we offer for them there is no breakdown on the web site for building one, that is being addressed but as of right now e-mail or the phone is the easiest way for me to quote one. Later in this e-mail I will give you a list of options and std features of the Mark VII rifle. The Mark VII turnaround time to manufacture and assemble is in the 8 to 10 month area to complete. All Mark VII orders are also billed up front prior to the order being submitted for manufacturing. After you get a chance to look over the options for the rifle feel free to e-mail me and I can quote one out for you. After the rifle is assembled it must be shipped to an FFL dealer in your home town so you can fill out a 4473 and go thru the background check system. The approx. weight of the Mark VII series of rifles is between 7 3/4 pound and 9 pounds, we do not offer a lightweight or mountain rifle weight rifle, nothing in the 7 pound or less area. Due to the fact that the Mark VII can be built in so many options there is no spec. sheet of weights based on possible build, there are to many possible combinations and variations.

Here is a list of the options:
    right hand
    left hand
    short action
    long action
    4140 material
    416 stainless material
    high polished or matte blue on 4140 material bbl/actions
    polished or bead blasted finish on 416 stainless steel bbl/actions
    or a combination of the materials and finishes
    either our #2.5 or #3 contours (you can see the individual dimensions of these barrels on our web sites contour page)
    barrel lengths from 16 1/4" to 26"
    recessed or 11 degree crowns
    un-fluted or fluted barrel option, either straight or helical flutes
    a std injection molded plastic classic design stk
    a Boyd's JRS model walnut stock, checkered
    2 Boyd's JRS model laminate stocks, pepper or nutmeg colors options
    14 bore sizes
    over 80 different chamberings, you can see a complete list on our web site @ www.ershawbarrels.com

std features:

drilled and tapped
    .250 recoil lug
    Savage Accu-trigger
    3 position safety
    recoil pad on stocks
    swivel studs
    the Boyd's JRS stocks are glass bedded at the recoil lug/breech area
    the Syn stock is pillar bedded

I hope this info helps, please take a look at the caliber's and the 2 barrel contours for the rifles and after you get a chance to look it all over let me know how you would like one put together and I will quote it out.

I can't help but think how cool one of these would be w/ the plastic stock and helical barrel. Ok I understand you think that would suck.... now picture the stock duracoated by Hunt_Ak and then the bead blasted barrel carefully masked and the reliefs in the fluted barrel duracoated as well. That would be one SWEET looking rifle and extremely accurate too boot! Maybe I do need a 8lb rifle around after all. You know looking through my collection I sure don't see an '06 in it, and every Alaskan should realy have at least 1 30'06.

Custom barreled Savages

"they are built on a savage action"

Seriously? Custom rifle and Savage action just sound foriegn in the same sentence!

You buy, I brush

Or you could just buy a drop in barrel, a go and a no-go guage and do it yourself

My only issue with E.R. Shaw is that they do away with the barrel nut setup that Savage uses. It's aweful nice to know you can change barrels on a Savage by yourself.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

You get what you pay for in a custom. You could pay a little bit more, and get alot more gun. If you want a mountain rifle for $1k, just get a kimber montanna.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    You get what you pay for in a custom. You could pay a little bit more, and get alot more gun. If you want a mountain rifle for $1k, just get a kimber montanna.
    Agreed! That or one of the Ti Remingtons.

Brett

If you want a mountain rifle for $1k, just get a kimber montanna.
    And pray its one of the ones that shoots

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    And pray its one of the ones that shoots
    Unfortunately there's some truth to that. I got lucky as have others. Some have not.

Brett

The part about the company using Savage actions is enough to turn me off and I would look elsewhere.