Thread: how to call moose?

Default how to call moose?

I'm relatively new to calling moose. Does anyone know of any DVD's I can find around Fairbanks, or perhaps on the internet, which are respectable/informative/realistic? What has worked for you in the past? Thanks a ton.

The "Love, Thunder, and bull" series are great.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Love, Thunder, and Bull is good, there's no doubt about that, but, like everything having to do with the outdoors, a lot of people will tell you that you need all kinds of gadgets that cost money when you really don't, especially to get started. Anyone can call moose with nothing more than their hands. If you feel you need more volume, a roll of birch bark or a 2 liter soda bottle works just fine. Search for moose calling on youtube. There are some great videos there to learn the basic sounds from, and you can learn a lot on the web, including this forum, about what sounds work when. Take a look at the recent thread on hunting moose Sep. 1-10 for some really good info.
    Last edited by ironsights; 08-02-2009 at 15:36. Reason: added mention of another thread

Sportsmans has Love Thunder and Bulls on their shelves

I drew a Once in a Lifetime Bull moose tag here in Colorado for this October.

I bought Love Thunder & Bull, along with the Bull Magnet. I also bought Alex Gouthro's Moose Madness - Quick Fix. Between these two guy's info, my knowledge base is about ready for fall. I just want to go hunt!

If you use moose calling technique from other states be sure to dail one(1) if useing it here

YOUTUBE!!! You can see a whole slug of moose calling videos by every day joes and even some free videos of experts who seem to enjoy making videos of themselves calling in bulls. You kind of have to sift through some of the silly ones, but there are plenty of vids that can show you how to call a big bull right up too you, and like i said.........ITS FREE

I recommended this on another thread, but look up "the king is alive" on youtube, its a good video of a guy messing with a moose, doing some cow and bull calls. Also check out "frank ritcey" videos, he lays it all out there for you. I used to hunt by crashing through the woods on atvs till a moose ran out, but the finess of calling them in makes it so much funner!!!

Smile practice....

Practice cow and bull calls. I am no expert, but I am lots better then I was 44 years ago. The cow call came easier for me then bull grunts. It is worth learning for sure. A scapula scraped on a tree or branches works good as does the Bull Magnet. I do pretty good with my hands, but I believe the Bull Magnet or other moose calls can be heard further away. The best teacher I had was being around bulls and cows when they were being vocal. We hav lots of moose around our house and the grandkids and I call to them all the time. Those cow moose make some really weird noises. Watch all the videos you can and practice. You can do it.

Gentlemen (and ladies if I missed any!) thanks for the ideas and info. I never thought of YouTube...I dig free! Hope to see some of you out there on a successful hunt this year. Good luck and stay safe.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

well you all forgot the ol standby...

you know the one reeeeeeeQUIRED by state, federal , and canadian... moose calling orgs...

opening day and every day on the hunt... over coffee in the morning and zipping up the bag at night......

the loud, bellowing...

HERE MOOSIE, MOOOOOSIE!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

not sure where you are at, but i think the state fair in fairbanks is having a competition on the 13th at the fairgrounds....should be fun to watch

Default calling moose

hey c.

check and see if you can see "the man who would be moose" on pbs i think, the whole show may not be worth watching but the bit with the guy working the rut was really good...

b

Default HA! Thanks!

My wife is a professsional "heeeeeeeere moosie mooosie mooooosie!" caller...it seems to work equally as well for fish, as in "heeeere fishy fishy fishy!" (She keeps the table full, I just play guide now-a-days!) Thanks for the PBS reference Slim...later on all...

Default moose call

I was at screaming eagle archery in wasilla today and noticed both copies of the DVD and a moose magnet on the shelves. Trying to get my arms in shape for the season. Good luck to you!
    Justin

"respectable/informative/realistic", Here is a novel idea,
    Get out in the woods and imitate what you hear.
    To many people are always looking for shortcuts

Chris,
    Come see me and Ill give you a "free" lesson

If all you are wanting to do is make a sound like a moose, any tape will work. I would recommend you tape your voice and listen to what you’re saying to make sure you are doing it correctly.

Once you have master the sounds, you need to learn difference methods of calling to become really good. Read everything you can find on calling. When a hunter is telling you about his hunt, a lot of times he will mention what a moose did or sound it made. I have a note book full of information and just before hunting season, I look at the notes. Several times this information was the difference between killing a moose or not.

I called a lot of moose before I learned what I was doing, so you don’t need to learn anything more about calling other than how to make a sound.

Have you every wondered why some hunters, killed moose every year? Could it be they have a note book of hunting secrets? 

There is one call I will tell you that does not work, when a big bull is leaving.

“STOP YOU SON OF A BXXXXX” *#@$#%$%^

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    “STOP YOU SON OF A BXXXXX” *#@$#%$%^

"HEY" in a deep voice works to an extent.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default Free?

Yeah, I'm sure it's free Bowtech.... Your mid coitus guttural bleats won't work, son! Haha! Later dude, I owe some 'bou sausage this week.