Thread: Kicker prop selection

Question Kicker prop selection

I recently picked up a used Honda 9.9 to replace my 8hp 2-stroke Johnson. But, the 240mm x 220mm (9.4"d x 8.7"p) three blade prop on the Honda is hammered and I really need to replace it before it goes in the water.

I'll be using it for trolling, and as a backup to the main on my 17-foot Arima. Loaded, the boat weighs in at 3200 pounds, and has an 8-foot beam. It also has a fairly high wind profile due to the hardtop. I want to be able to troll slow (~1mph) or fast. I also need it to be able push the boat to hull speed (~6.5mph) in bad weather and still be able to maintain control.

Using these criteria, I'm leaning towards a 10"d x 7"p four blade Solas. Does anybody have any experience or opinions about this motor/prop combo? Any other recommendations?
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Anybody?

Default If it were me..........

I would go with the [10 x 5] 4 bladed prop. I think it would be better for non planning purposes. The closest prop I have used was a Solas [9.25 x 8] 4 bladed prop, but that was on an inflatable that needed to get up to planning speeds. If you are overpropped on your kicker it won't give you as much thrust, and it is harder on the motor.

Thanks for the input.

Default Check out this web site ----v

I have used these props on smaller, up to 90hp and they work great, a big boat/inboard they don't sem to do well. Takes a licking and keeps on trucken----v

Default big 4-blade

I would go with the largest diameter, lowest pitch that will fit.
    Kingfisher 2525. 225, 20, and 2hp Hondas.

Thanks guys. With the advice I got here (and elsewhere) I decided to go with the 10 x 5 Solas 4-blade. I'll try to remember to post how it performs when I get it in the water.

Rod, good choice. I run a 4 blade on a Honda 15 hp and it runs great. Its not on a big boat but pushes a Zodiac faster than a 3 blade.

Got the new prop in today. Now I have to get it on the motor and splash 'er in the water for a test run. I gotta say, there sure is a lot more blade area on this unit than there is on the old three blade. Yeah, I was expecting more area with one more blade. But I didn't expect the individual blades to be so much bigger, too.

So, I said I'd post the results of the new 10x5 4-blade prop. Well, I have to say I'm not really too happy with its performance. It seems to push the boat pretty well on the slow end. But, at WOT it only pushes the boat up to about 4 MPH. I was hoping for more like 6 or 7 MPH.

So, I'm gonna get another prop. Do you think I need to go up in pitch, drop the 4th blade, reduce the diameter, or some combination of these?

And... anybody need a barely used prop?

Default Find the RPM's...

you're running on that Honda. Cabela's has a small & very easy to hook up tachometer called a Tiny Tach (I think). I bought one to check RPM's on our Yamaha 25 4 stroke. That will tell you a lot about what that little motor's doing.
    Jim

Default Here are my thoughts......

The new Honda 9.9 full throttle operating range is 5000 - 6000 rpms. It's rated at 9.9 hp at 5500 rpms. The gear ratio is 2.33:1. This means that the prop shaft should be spinning at about 2360 rpms at max power. Your 5 pitch prop moves 5 theoretical inches per rotation. 2360 x 5 = 11802. This means that if you are running at 5500 RPMs with zero slippage you are moving 11802 inches per minute which is 983 feet per minute or .186 miles per minute or 11.17 mph if my math is correct. Keep in mind this is theoretical. You aren't reaching this theoretical speed for two possible reasons, either slippage or you aren't reaching maximum power (read max RPMs). Going to a three bladed prop or decreasing diameter will increase slippage, more slippage = less thrust. Going to a higher pitch prop will decrease RPMs, thus decreasing power. I would hang on to your prop until you find a better one which may not happen. Good luck and let us know your results, math and theory don't always translate into the best application.