Thread: Cuddy or no, which would you choose and why?

Default Cuddy or no, which would you choose and why?

So my wife and I are looking at boats and have settled on a Hewes 22' ET HT. We are working on a pros/cons list between the Searunner and the Pacific Cruiser with dinette and galley. We would love to hear from others regarding their expierences. We do have a pair of 7 year old twins, and that has to figure into the equation as well.

Thanks!

Default Cuddy

Quote Originally Posted by akfishin View Post
    So my wife and I are looking at boats and have settled on a Hewes 22' ET HT. We are working on a pros/cons list between the Searunner and the Pacific Cruiser with dinette and galley. We would love to hear from others regarding their expierences. We do have a pair of 7 year old twins, and that has to figure into the equation as well.

Thanks!
    Cuddy. No brainer now that I have a 26' Alaskan. It's the ONE thing I would change about my boat. Well one of three things I guess--two other things I can think of. I have four boys and after a long day of fishing they are sleeping on the bench seats and falling off, sleeping on the floor, etc. Yeah get a cuddy if you have kids. Definitely.
    Also 22 feet is pretty short for fishing out of the back. I have a 26 and it's enough room, but I look at those 22 footers and there's not that much room to fish back there, put ice chests and gear, stuff like that.
    One of the things I have learned from owning boats is that space is a premium. You just can't get enough useful storage space.
    Good luck!
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Ditto on what Wildog said.....I own a 22' weldcraft and the one thing I would change is to have a cuddy for sleeping. Plus you have more room for your sleeping bags and other things. I only have one kid and wish I had a cuddy.
    Weldcraft Oceanking 220

Default Yes!!!!!

I like the layout of my C-Dory 22. It is not the fishing machine that the Hewescraft is, but it is nice have the berth up front. The trade off: well you guys can anchor really easily and have more space for other stuff. And unlike you, I get to walk along the side of the boat and risk certain death to set the anchor.......... So, far so good on that one With that said, I really like the 22 and 26 foot Hewes as I think they are really nice and the price is very reasonable. Good luck with your purchase!

With kids I would definitely suggest the cuddy
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

I now have a bayliner trophy with a cuddy. I would never be without one again. Especially with the fuel prices the way they are now. Run out in the middle of the sound and fish somewhere, anchorup and stay the night, and do it again tommorrow without having to fill the 85 gal tank again! I love my cuddy.

Smile cuddy..

I have the 26" Ak. Sea Runner. I guese it is just me and the wife now, sort of, so it is ok. But, when we head out tomorrow with 4 grandkids, 2 daughters and 1 son-in-law I would love to have a V berth. I need a 28' boat that is 9' 6" wide with a big cuddy and a table. I hate porta potti's. I never used one and always had to dump it. Yuk! I like our flushing toilet for the kids and ladies. I will stick with a bucket because those marine heads are made for midgets. Buy the biggest boat you can afford with a cuddy for Mom and the little ones. I know when we head in tomorrow Grama and the kiddies will be stretched out on the bench seat because the halibut kicked their rear.

Smile Gotta have it!

Bought 22'SeaSport this sprng and have had her out on 5 multiple night trips. Having the cuddy cabin is the only way to go in my opinion. As mentioned in previous post, huge fuel savings, not to mention just the excitement and enjoyment of being anchored up in a different cove every night with the most gorgeous scenery in the world!
    Just got back in yesterday from a trip with my wife which lasted for 8 days. First 6 were nothing but rain, rain, rain. On a trip like that, I need all the inside dry space that I can get. Made a great trip out of a possibly ugly memory.
    Not too sure what 22'er's you guys are talking about, but I love all the rear deck space this SeaSport offers. Its the Coho model, so no galley, but plenty of space to cook on counter top behind captains chair, and gas grill out the back.
    If you are really gonna use that boat, go for the cuddy cabin and enjoy!

Default Having the cuddy

When we were looking at boats a couple years ago i was leaning to the searunner but the wife said she wanted the berth. Well that was the best choice we could of made for sure.
    When i am home we spend a lot time out in the sound for a few days at a time, the berth makes life much easier for sure.
    We have the small galley without the dinette but two captains chairs instead. I have since then built a small table to dine at when not under way.
    Bottom line is if you are going to be out there and can afford the extra cost it is well worth it for all in volved to have the berth. We have the 26' PC and love it but would like to get into a 28' or 30' sometime in this life time.
    Good luck and hope to see you out there.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

For those with Pacific Cruiser versions of the Hewes, does that cabin configuration take away from the back deck square footage? Wasn't sure if the actual cabin "footprint" is larger.
    Jim

With kids, I'd say a cuddy is a necessity. My kids pretty much camp out in the cuddy, either reading on the way out, or napping on the way back in.

Even if you give up a little bit of fishing deck, a 22' boat is at best set up for 4 people to fish off the back. The more warm dry space you have in a boat, the better off you are.

Definately give a nod to the cuddy.

I just bought a new 22 Hewes Ocean Pro and have 2 little ones. I don't regret not having the cuddy but we use our boat differently than most others. We have a cabin and go visit other people with cabins and need the walkthrough and the Ocean Pro is the largest boat I dare beach and load supplies. The Hewes Pacific Cruisers do have a hatch good for loading people while beaching but not cabin supplies.

In your case cuddy.

Sobie2

Big Jim,

The cabin configuration on the Pacific Cruiser doesn't take away from the fishing deck space unless you get the Cruiser with the stand up head. Then you give up some deck space. Almost 2 feet.

I have to agree that a cuddy is great with kids. You don't have to fold out the bed for naps! (for kids or big people) I am not sure your budget, but buy the biggest you can afford and tow. Two footitis is a very contagious ailment that will hit you. We started with a 24 foot Alaskan that was just great for the two of us, but not very conducive to tired, little people on extended trips. We sure are enjoying our current setup. The nice thing about the boat you are considering is that once you have been struck with two footitis, there will always be someone out there willing to buy.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Used Cuddys On Craigslist - Today

There was some respectable deals on a couple used cuddys on craigslist today. Maybe buy a nearly new unit and save the additional charges.
    With the technology today it makes buying used a little safer.
    How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

Yes you do give up a bit of the fishing deck with the stand up head.
    We get by and have had up to 4 fishing at a time and it is a bit crowded but you can't have any coolers on the deck. The stand up head sure does make it nice as well for the ladies.

That also frees up the berth. we will store a lot of gear on the cabin to free up the fishing deck.

There have been a couple hewes pc on CL that are priced pretty good.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

If you plan to overnight, spend the extra cash for a cuddy.

If you plan to do day trips only, the cuddy is not worth the extra $$ IMO.

Of course, if you have extra cash floating around go with the cuddy.

A cuddy is a must!!!
    I'll hold on to my Bible & my Guns, you can keep the change!!!