Thread: Down the Yukon....

Smile Down the Yukon....

If all goes as planned I will be heading down the Yukon to the Koyukuk again this year with 2 friends from work. Does anyone have a phone number for the old gas place on the river at Galena? I was going to call and check on prices and hours. One friend has a permit and this is a "first moose hunt" for the other one. I am the primary boat driver, cook and movie/picture taker. They are both years younger then me and strong and healthy. I have not yet decided if I will shoot a moose. Wife says I should, so I don't know why I just said that. I would like to spend 2 weeks a year there for the rest of my life, maybe longer when I retire. I will probably take the custom Mod. 70 in .338 caliber since I have so much faith in it. But, since I don't have a trophy permit I am sorely tempted to take the long octagon barreled Marlin 45-70, also, there is the wonderful pre-64 Mod. 70 Featherweight 30-06 that has not been moose hunting in quite some time.

Good luck on your hunt....whether or not you shoot anything....enjoy the experience....the clock is ticking!

I have heard that Vern is no longer in Galena so I am not sure who you get fuel from.

I have Ruby Contacts though that should be good.

Ruby Washateria - You can shower here if you ever need. follow the road from the gas dock up through town on the right by the Post office.

468-4490

Ivan at the Gas dock 468-4436

If it is on the weekend you need to call him at home. He also runs a B&B I think or I know he has a connection for one.

Ivan home 468-4478

If you need fuel on the weekend and he isn't gone hunting he will come open the gas pump for 20 bucks I think it was.

Will be headed down myself. Neither of us drew a tag, so we are going for a vacation and maybe take a moose or two. Looking forward to the duck hunting, fishing and general laziness, and just to get away from the Kenai River! We will head down around the 16th or so from the bridge. I'll keep an eye out for the 26'. Ultramag thanks for the Ruby info. Ran into Vern the other day in Kenai. Pretty sure he will have Jake running things again this fall and he said he will be up there himself, but I bet he will be hunting not pumping gas.

Way to cool,, While reading your post, For an instant or two i was right there on the Yukon.. Sounds like a dang fine couple'a weeks..
    Never seen , Or carried a finer gun than a pre 64 .. My vote is for the that..My dad just gave me three of his,,In very mint condition..They will only go on fine hunts like the one you described above..
    Gook luck Hope to see some pictures..

jtm9....(so we are going for a vacation and maybe take a moose or two. Looking forward to the duck hunting, fishing and general laziness,).....YEA!!!! Good luck to you to..