Thread: Making a Parachut jig from a simple jighead?

Default Making a Parachut jig from a simple jighead?

Hey guys,

I have a bunch of jigheads ranging from 8oz to 24oz.
    I know the most common use for them is to simply put a grub tail on them.

However, I really like the looks of some of those parachute jigs. The part of jigging that I enjoy the most is actually imagining what my jig is doing down there and if its attracting fish or not.

So, Im wondering if anybody knows how to make a parachute jig from a simple jighead?
    What is that material? Can you buy it somewhere? How could you keep it on?

Any suggestions would be great.

Ive also attached a couple of pics of parachute jigs so you know what Im talking about.
    Attached Images Attached Images

anybody at all?

I have not made jig, but I do tie flys. Here is a link for tying a parachute fly, similar techniques would be used for the jig. I would use nylon material for durability.
    http://straycatfishing.com/flytying.html
    NRA Lifetime Member

Default stop by your local fly shop

Hey soda,

I can't tell exactly what the material is on those parachute jigs (I haven't fished with them before, although they look pretty sweet), but it looks like fishair or some other synthetic hair. There are all sorts of synthetic fibers/hair used for tying saltwater/streamer flies. I'd check out your local fly shop and see if you can find something similar. Just to give you an idea...
    http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/...=65000&start=6

As far as how to attach it, buy a bobbin and thread and tie it on. Coat with a little cement/glue. Or maybe you can use some sort of collar/band similar to what people use to make spinnerbaits and skirted lures???
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...=cat190004&rid=

I do use grubs mostly on my jigs, but I also like to take a skirt and put it on backwards between the grub and jighead so it flares out similar to those parachute jigs. I'm a long-time fly tyer, and this summer I've started transfering some of that over to making/customizing my own saltwater jigs. I spend a lot of time wandering around fly shops and tackle stores just trying to think of new ideas to try (and how I can do something better and cheaper). Use your imagination, play around a bit, and I'm sure you can come up with something similar that will catch fish.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnngrinn View Post
    I have not made jig, but I do tie flys. Here is a link for tying a parachute fly, similar techniques would be used for the jig. I would use nylon material for durability.
    http://straycatfishing.com/flytying.html
    Cool.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

I cant believe I didnt think of fly shops. Thanks for the links guys.

Yesterday, I actually looked up wigs on ebay to see if I can cut them up for the hair. Im laughing out loud at myself right now for having done that. Those would be some expensive jigs! I didnt know the prices!

Wyo2AK Ive seen that before, the flipped over skirt. I never knew how they did it though.

Im often looking up different types of jigs and lures online and I figure for bottom fishing, since I already have the jighead, I can try a whole bunch of stuff to diversify.

I'll post some pics after I done with these wigs I ordered

large tubes work good I use the 7" tora tubes on my large jigs if you like to tie some rabbit fur also works good.

I've run large hoochies backwards on leadheads to make a parachute rig. I've never caught a fish on them and have done better running just a straight large grub or scampi. I also like the fish style jigs, butterfly, point wilson dart, crippled herring, diamond jigs etc.