Thread: Hornet nest

Default Hornet nest

Looking for all ideas for getting rid of a hornet nest that has our garden and yard abuzz this summer.
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

Talking guess you didn't press 1

si usted sabe donde está espera hasta obscuridad y entonces apagúela la jerarquía con una antorcha del propano.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by ACNDHO View Post
    Looking for all ideas for getting rid of a hornet nest that has our garden and yard abuzz this summer.
    That wasn't the missus was it?

Tell her hi from all of us.

Default spray

There is a great hornet spray out there. A black label it shoots as far as 15-20 feet. Don’t do anything to the nest before your ready to spray the poison, do a sneak attack. Just spray the nest and watch them fly in a rage then spiral out of control, crash and die. When things settle down get a shovel or something to knock down the nest. Make sure you get rid of the larva. They will live for several days and some will even hatch. Taste like chicken. Good Luck!

Make sure you have a clear path if you have to run!

I would use two people with two seperate cans spraying at the same time. It's called interlocking fields of fire in combat.
    That's what she said...

I just put on my snowsuit,gloves, and facemask, along with my full face helmet. Once I tape up all the cuffs and what not, I walk in and remove the nest and destroy it. In a few minutes the hornets will leave as they have nowhere to go. I have done this a few times, it works well.

Also, conduct your eradication activity early in the morning on a cool day. All the "members" will be inside, lethargic, and slower. They are much faster and more aggressive when fully up to temperature like at 4pm on a 75F day.

Default The EXTREME way....

It is the time of year where it is getting dark out. Darkness is a good time to kill them as bees do sleep at night in the hive. As others have pointed out, it is cooler then (at least temporarily) and a good time to go and get em! I have a long handle and hose on my propane weed burner and actually enjoy cooking them. The can't excape because the flame blocks the hole and their wings catch on fire. The entire nest is gone in less than 15 seconds. Effective, quick, relatively safe, and somewhat fun for the twisted at heart. None the less, a sneak approach no matter the method is good advice.

I was at the cabin for the last few days and was going to put some gas in the 4-wheeler day before yesterday. Well I pulled the pump out of its holding place not really paying att, put her in the barrel, turned around to put the hose in the wheeler, turned around to start pumping and was covered instantly by those yellow missles. Talk about a cripple doing a funniest home vid, lol they got me about 15 times, lucky I'm not allergic, scared me for awhile tho. Now that I know where there at, I'm going in with the armed forces when I go back.

I just took one down a few days ago. It was about the size of a cantaloupe. I went out late one evening and clipped it out of the low hanging limb it was on then ran like hell, came back about an hour later (it was just about dark) picked it up and dropped it into a plastic trash bag while they were all snug as a bug. Tied the bag up real good, then shook it up real good just to make sure that the bag was sealed tight. Tossed it in the freezer overnight, and by the next morning my 6 year old boy had a great, little, safe science project to dissect. There were well over a hundred mature yellow jackets in there plus many more larvae in various stages of development. I got to admit that I felt quite pleased with myself afterward.