Thread: Scope question

Default Scope question

I was out at the range the other day and had a target set up at 200yds. With my scope set on a higher power I was missing, but when I zoomed back out I was nailing the target perfect. Can anyone explain what was going on with this? Thanks

What kind of scope? And how big a target?

Default impact point change.

It is possible and actually common for a variable power scope to change point of impact when the power is changed.

Move your target to 25 yards and shoot at the original power you sighted in with. Then crank the scope up and shoot at the same POI and take note of changes. They could be small, but will become huge when you jump out to 100. Shoot @ minimum power, a mid range power and cranked all the way up and compare. Then step out to 100 and do it again. The changes you saw at 25 yards will be multiplied by 4 @ 100 yards. and double again at 200. I'm sure this will explain your misses.

example: a 1" change in POI @ 25 yards will become a 4" change @ 100. And all said and done at 200 yards will be an 8" change. The math doesn't lie, only changes to the math come from shooter induced inaccuracies. (sp) HA Sucks, but that's the way it is.

It's good that you're finding this out on the range rather than on the hunt.

Far as I know, there's nothing you can do to correct this other than spend more money on another scope.

Come to think of it, I need to check for this kind of thing on my new scope as well...... thanks for the reminder. I'm betting that there's gonna be a POI change in my VX-III, just hoping it's something I can work with.

Hope this helps explain. Even if it don't help with the frustration.

Good luck,

Mike

I would really like to know the name on your scope.

I have heard of this problem all my life and have been very careful to check my scopes at low and high power settings.

I have never seen this problem in any of my Leupolds or old Redfields but I did experience it in a Burris scope on my muzzle loader. I was working up a load for an Elk hunt and was extremely frustrated for about 2 weeks before I realized what was happening. I loved the compact size of the scope but did not hesitate to dump it.

I got on Ebay and located a used Leupold Vari-X III 1-5 for not a whole lot more money than I paid for the new Burris.

CGSwimmer25, By posting this at this point in time you are helping a lot of hunters, (if they will check their scopes before season opens).

Simply shoot a group at 100 yards (or 200) with your scope set at its lowest power then shoot another group at the highest setting. The pattern should be at the same spot on the target (and, of course, the groups should be comparable in spread).

Quote Originally Posted by CGSwimmer25 View Post
    I was out at the range the other day and had a target set up at 200yds. With my scope set on a higher power I was missing, but when I zoomed back out I was nailing the target perfect. Can anyone explain what was going on with this? Thanks
    Easy, your scope is broken.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by rdklinak View Post
    It is possible and actually common for a variable power scope to change point of impact when the power is changed.
    Only if the scope was a piece of crap to start with. Any modern scope even remotely decent should hold point of aim at any magnification. That said it could be a piece of crap or it could be broken.

Brett

My scope actually cost more than the gun it's on!! Im am shooting a Remington model 700 300WSM. The scope is a Leupold VX-L 4.5x14x50. Thanks for all the advice, I am going to go back to the range this week and try adjusting and see where the bullet hits. I have been out to the range 4 times the last two weeks and blew through two boxes of ammo (at $68 a box) before it dawned on me that the point of impact might be off if I zoom in too far. Thanks again

My scope actually cost more than the gun it's on!! Im am shooting a Remington model 700 300WSM. The scope is a Leupold VX-L 4.5x14x50. Thanks for all the advice, I am going to go back to the range this week and try adjusting and see where the bullet hits. I have been out to the range 4 times the last two weeks and blew through two boxes of ammo (at $68 a box) before it dawned on me that the point of impact might be off if I zoom in too far. Thanks again
    Are you adjusting the parallax setting? While this sounds too substantial a change for mere parallax issues, it could be a contributor.

All screws and mounts are tight?
    Action tight in stock?

Way we sight in is to go to max zoom.
    Then shoot at low zoom.
    Should be very close.

Have done this with a bunch of rifles from .22,300wm,338wm and 45/70.

If that does not work have somebody else shoot the rifle.
    Then talk to scope manufacture.

Default Leupold

If it was my scope I would be talking to Leupold ASAP. I have never had this happen to a scope and usually sight in with the highest scope setting and check the lower settings.

http://www.leupold.com/corporate/con...-support-u-s-/

Here is their phone number. I have heard many good stories with the Leupold service. Let us know how this turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by Badriverman View Post
    All screws and mounts are tight?
    Action tight in stock?

Way we sight in is to go to max zoom.
    Then shoot at low zoom.
    Should be very close.

Have done this with a bunch of rifles from .22,300wm,338wm and 45/70.

If that does not work have somebody else shoot the rifle.
    Then talk to scope manufacture.
    +1

I wouldn't go crazy on the phone with Leupold just yet! Take the scope and rings off. Make sure the mounts are tight. Then make sure the rings are tight. then remount the scope and make sure the rings are gradually tightened by rotating around to the different screws and not just locking down one screw and moving to the next. Then crank that baby up to full power and sight her in. After turn the power down and see where she shoots. Remember your groups/aim won't be as good on 4.5 as it is on 14. At least mine isn't.

Brett

Leupold has excellent customer service. If you call them they will assist you with fixing your problem or replace the scope. LIFETIME WARRANTY FTW

I agree that Leupold has excellent customer service. I scratched the lenses on my binoculars, so I sent them back to Leupold. They replaced the lenses free of charge and had them back to me within 2 weeks. As for loose scope rings/mounts, wouldn't that increase the size of the groups, not necessarily changing the POI? If the rings were loose, doesn't seem like changing the power setting on the scope would make a difference. Seems to me that all the rounds would be all over the place no matter what power it was on.So my advice would be to take the scope off, check to make sure the mounts are solid on the rifle, but then install a DIFFERENT scope--even if it's a $40 Walmart special. If you're sure this scope is installed right, and it doesn't have the same problem, then you've identified your problem--the scope. Your only problem there would be if the second scope did it too...

I had this "loose" ocular lense/tube problem with a vari-x ll. it may be slightly bent somewhere near the ocular lense. could have come from the factory like that......mine came right out of the box doing the same "exact" thing. It made me go crazy......I bought tools, lapped the rings, checked ring alignment.......and now have tools i didnt even need. Watch through the scope as you slowly change the magnification.........watch in horror as the crosshaires change position on the target. let me guess........when you change power......it hits high and to right..............

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I have a pos
    BSA 3x9x50 that now has three sets of cross hairs when you look through it.... they hold a three inch group at 100yds okay... wanna trade?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Let me go to the range one more time then you might have a deal!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    I have a pos
    BSA 3x9x50 that now has three sets of cross hairs when you look through it.... they hold a three inch group at 100yds okay... wanna trade?
    So you didnít know cross hairs breed in the dark corners of a gun case?
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

also, you might want to get some cheaper ammo for your "testing". I was having some fun the other day with some cheap federal stuff I got on a sale last year for something like $15 per box (300 win mag). I had a lot of fun, shot pretty well, and didn't break the bank.