Thread: 7/23 Quartz Cr. report- blanked, why??

Default 7/23 Quartz Cr. report- blanked, why??

On July 23rd, I got "blanked" while fishing for dollies and rainbows on Quartz Creek on the Kenai Penn. What's up? I didn't see anyone else fishing. There were plenty of large dollies. There was also a monster rainbow at the Crescent Creek confluence near the upper campground. I also fished a secluded section a mile below the upper campground. As far as I could tell, the red and king salmon were not spawning yet, but they were in. I tried red beads, flesh, a big olive woolly bugger, and nymphs with no luck.

Eventually, I got a dolly to bite a hare's ear nymph while site fishing in shallow water. It was a very week bite. A friend and I fished Quartz last September and did VERY well. He's always had luck there. Does anyone know why fishing was slow?

Did you have enough weight on or line out? I was fishing yesterday up in the valley and a gentlemen that I was fishing with had a bead about two feet below an indicator which resulted in the bead floating about 6 inches deep during the drift. We got that corrected and he started to get strikes. I've noticed that when I'm not ticking bottom, these fish get that sense of "somethings not right".

Additionally, did you have the right color bead or flesh? I didn't regular hits yesterday until I put on a small flesh color with pink tipped flesh pattern. As I didn't have the right color and size of bead, luckily I had something in flesh that they found appealing.

Lastly, I've come across fish that are just not feeding (due to numerous of situations). In this case, you can have a perfect drag-free drift, exact replica, and be at the right depth, but they just won't eat. Eventually they will feed, but I guess patience is a virtue or something like that. All the fish you encountered were snubbing, so I doubt this was the case.

Nothing is more frustrating than having large fish in front of you and you can't figure out what they're eating!

someone was probably fishing in front of you
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quartz is definitely a late summer/fall fishery for non-salmon species. Big difference between late July and September! Once the salmon begin spawning and the egg drop is on the dollies and the occassional rainbow will come alive for egg immitations. Also, as fall progresses the sea-run dollies will begin showing in the stream and increase the catch rate. Try again after the sockeyes start digging redds in a week or two....action will increase big time. Good luck.

wait a couple weeks and go back... always tough in july.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Nobody should fish quartz in july it simply sucks, there are no fish, and everyone knows the reds don't dig redds until late august. That place is a zoo, if you are the first one through you catch a lot of fish, the second one through you catch a couple but after that its pretty slow.

Also red beads don't work, try something that looks like a salmon egg (they are a milky orange) also sockeye eggs are about 6 mm early in the season and get bigger as the season wares on, i've seen fish key in on size more than anything else.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Surprising

Yeah, it was mostly a dolly affair, but it's fun. I read in the regs that they close the river above Sterling HWY for the dolly spawn. I'll probably try them later in the season with peach 8MM beads and flesh. Hopefully, I can hit the upper creek before the closure.