Thread: Cabela's Berber vs. Revolution fleece

Default Cabela's Berber vs. Revolution fleece

Good morning to you. For those of you who have used Berber vs. Revoultion fleece jackets and pants, would you kindly comment on pro's and con's of these 2 products?

From what I gather so far, Berber is very quiet yet not water proof. Revolution products seem to have lots of features I am looking for except I am keep hearing that they are "not as quiet".

I would like to hear from those who have used these products. Thanks in advance for your time.

Regards,

yhc

I love the Berber fleece with windstopper Cabelas sells, but its not designed to be water proof. It is very quiet and will dry quickly if wet but I wear raingear over it if its raining. If I was going to stalk something in the rain up close and had to be quiet I would wear my MT050. Havent found a do it all product that works. Even Rivers West which is fleece and claims to be waterproof, everyone I know that has used it says the inside turns into bath tub (sweat) if you moving around a lot. Have also been told it gets water logged and heavy when exposed to wet environments for long periods. Dont think you can kill 2 birds with one stone on this one in Alaska. Your either warm or your dry, no one clothing covers both. Personally I wouldn't want my main clothing wet all the time, shedding raingear to dry clothes underneath has a greater appeal if you know what I mean.

I just bought the revolution fleece,i have only heard good things about it
    It is insulated and have scent lock

Default Berber's great

I agree with Akcub..I too use Berber w/windstopper and it's great. A little warm if it's not cold out but other than that I love it. And the only way to be waterproof is good quality rain gear, but if you sweat then you're getting wet anyway.....just not from the rain.

Smile something else

something else you might try. I have used the Cabela's dry plus gear and hunted in pws in torential down-pour for days and stayed dry and warm. The only problem I've found with it is...it too is very warm.

Good Luck

Default both

I have both...both are good.
    Go with either.
    Psalm 18:34
    He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

Default Thank you

Thanks for your replies folks.

One f/u question on Revolution products...how is the noise level from the fabric? Does it sound like an average Goretex jacket or is it a bit quieter?

Thanks again for your time in advance.

Regards,

yhc

Default comparisons

YHC-

The revolution fleece is pretty quiet. I found it was a little too loud for still hunting blacktails in the timber/brush, but it would work for nearly anything else. I would say that it's less noisy than your typical gore-tex jacket.

Buying gear is like buying a boat, and no one product does it all, it's a big tradeoff. You're quiet and warm with wool, but it's wet and heavy. You're warm and dry with raingear/fleece, but it's loud and doesn't breath. It's all a trade-off IMO. You just have to find which aspect you are willing to sacrifice. For me, I will sacrifice being dry in order to wear something quiet that will retain it's insulating ability even when wet. So, I usually end up with woolies or my new rivers west gear. I get soaked and stay soaked, but I'd rather be soaked and packing out a deer that couldn't hear me, than dry (loud) and skunked. But then again I do a lot of shorter hunts too. It all depends on what is most important for your hunt-

I have the berber with windstopper and the new windshear stuff too. I use it as my go to gear if is not going to flat pour rain, a steady light rain does not seem to get me wet and I have yet to find a membrane that breathes as well as winstopper. as for stalking.....berber is deadly silent

I have used Cabela's dry plus in rainy conditions and it has done everything but keep me dry. The River's West gear has kept me dry but while hiking I sweat too much. I am hoping Santa brings me a berber fleece pull over and a balaclava for xmas.

Default Zip-up or Pullover with hood?

I've got the berber zip-up jacket. Do you all prefer the pullover with a hood? The ONLY thing I don't like about mine is that the cuffs and waistband are the cotton elastic material and when it gets wet, it stays wet. I'm thinking about having Coral cut it off and replacing it with something that dries quickly. I noticed today that the pullovers don't have the cotton stuff.
    thoughts anyone?

I wear mine so much I am on my second Berber Windstopper Jacket except this one is the Windshear which I dont think is as good as the Windstopper (which is discontinued but thats another story), anyway, that my son just had to have the same coat as his dad and Cabelas had them on sale last fall for the little guys so I got him one. Here he is fat and happy in Berber.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ep4me/hunt.jpg

Josh dont sweat the waistband thing its really not a big deal. I like the coat better than the pullovers cuz if you get hot you can unzip it and let it breathe. Thats just me.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    I wear mine so much I am on my second Berber Windstopper Jacket except this one is the Windshear which I dont think is as good as the Windstopper (which is discontinued but thats another story), anyway, that my son just had to have the same coat as his dad and Cabelas had them on sale last fall for the little guys so I got him one. Here he is fat and happy in Berber.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ep4me/hunt.jpg

Josh dont sweat the waistband thing its really not a big deal. I like the coat better than the pullovers cuz if you get hot you can unzip it and let it breathe. Thats just me.
    I'm not a pullover guy either and won't invest in a pullover for the same reason you stated and I don't like the hood in my way, but I am still considering having Coral do a aftermarket job and get rid of that cotton...I suppose she will be the final say on that!
    I noticed your little rolly-polly displaying his "just-like-daddy" fleece so proudly on your four wheeler picture! Cute kid.

I picked up a set of the Berber from Cabelas for my wife for a late season caribou hunt on the Haul Road, late season moose in the FMA, and late season predator hunting. She has the windshear parka and bibs. We were outside last weekend in temperatures below -20 and she was perfectly fine sitting for about 90 minutes at a time with just a skin tight base layer, a light weight fleece middle, and her Microtex over that. Hers was much quieter than my Browning Pro Series which was touted to be pretty quiet as well.