Thread: My expierence on the Kenai for Reds

Default My expierence on the Kenai for Reds

Well guys here are a few things i found. One i dont like Coho flies. I dont think my hook ups were as good and i lost/missed more fish with them. I used Gamakatsu octopus hooks with a bit of yarn tied and glued to the hook. I also tied some with bucktail. Color did not make a real difference. I used them on a 3ft snell of 25lb mono to a swivel and a few really big splitshot next to the swivel so the swivel would not let it slide to the hook. you of course had to vary the number of splitshot to match the conditions to the get the tick of the bottom as you made your drift. I did not do the famous Kenai twitch. I found most of the fish right next to shore. 85% were caught within 5ft of shore. I used an 8.5ft Ugly Stick and i loved it. I used a Pflueger President spinning reel and loved that as well. At one point i was catching fish behind people. They finally got it figured out and backed up.

My biggest suprise was the lack of snagged fish. Of the many i caught only two were snagged. Both snagged in the tail. I thought it would be a much bigger problem. After a week of fishing and many fish caught it was a small percentage. Both fish were released and swam off like nothing happened. I also caught a 4lb Dolly and a 5lb Rainbow. Both were released as i had no clue about the law on them and i was not interested in them anyway and had no desire to catch any of them. Fishing Reds on the Kenai was a real blast to say the least. What a great fishery!

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    I did not do the famous Kenai twitch.
    My biggest suprise was the lack of snagged fish. Of the many i caught only two were snagged. Both snagged in the tail. I thought it would be a much bigger problem.
    There's a correlation there that some people just can't seem to figure out. Good on you. The Kenai twitch is completely unnecessary, as you obviously figured out.

Glad you had a good time fishing for reds. And congrats on the bonus Dolly and 'bow - always a nice treat. Now you just need to trade in that spinning gear for an 8-wt fly rod!
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo2AK View Post
    Now you just need to trade in that spinning gear for an 8-wt fly rod!
    I agree!!!!!