Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lever action in pistol caliber

Default Lever action in pistol caliber

I'd like to hear some opinions on the various lever action rifles chambered for handgun cartridges... specifically the 44 magnum, but also the 357. How fun and or useful are these as opposed to just getting a 30-30.

P.S. I'd be getting a 44 because I already have a 44 revolver and I think that would be cool to have a set shooting the same cartridge.

schmidty

My little brother trudges over hardwood ridges and cedar swamps back home with a deerfield carbine chambered in the 44 mag. He'll put two in a deer of bear faster than you can blink. The kid weighs all but 65 lbs......but what a deadly lil rifleman with his deerfield carbine....he swears by it.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty_dog View Post
    I'd like to hear some opinions on the various lever action rifles chambered for handgun cartridges... specifically the 44 magnum, but also the 357. How fun and or useful are these as opposed to just getting a 30-30.

P.S. I'd be getting a 44 because I already have a 44 revolver and I think that would be cool to have a set shooting the same cartridge.

schmidty
    You won't regret the 44 over the 30-30 for pure fun. The 44 yields some to the 30-30 in range, bu not all that much. Already owning a 44 revolver, it would just make sense for you over some of the other pistol rounds. I'll give you a heads up though that some Marlins don't particularly like cast bullet loads due their Microgroove rifling.

Already owning the 44, I've got a hankering for a light lever in 454 Casull. If the 454 is suitable for bear protection in a revolver, imagine how much better it will be at 300 fps or so faster from a small lever action rifle. And easier to shoot accurately and fast, to boot.

They are fun and pistol/rifle same bullet rigs have been around for at least 140 years.I think if shooting fur animals to sell fur the 30/30 may be better for the hide.If you fine you just need a little something extra than your handgun at times then the same bullet rifle should fill the bill

I have owned a few 44Mag M-92 clones and a Marlin in 44 Mag. The best rifle was a Browning B-92. I must also admit that I like the 92 action over the Marlin.

I loaded 300 grain hard cast bullets and used a max load of H-110 with a mag primer. I was getting almost 1700 fps from the carbine barrel. That is some serious whammy.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I hunted the northern Missouri hardwoods for years using my Marlin 1894 in 44 mag and killed many deer with it. Never, ever did I feel undergunned.

FloatPilot is right though! The 92 action is a much stronger action than the Marlin 1894. Puma uses the 92 action for their guns and they chamber the 454 which boast pressure in the 60,000 plus range. Those pressures would wreck a Marlin in short order. However the Marlin is very suited for the pressure levels that the 44 operates at and I never had any trouble with mine!

Somebody stole mine a while back and I have been looking at getting another 1894 only in 41 mag. They are out there but the sellers are a little fonder of the them than I am willing to pay!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post

Somebody stole mine a while back and I have been looking at getting another 1894 only in 41 mag. They are out there but the sellers are a little fonder of the them than I am willing to pay!
    That's a dandy, alright. While you're looking, keep your eyes open for a 25-20. I think they're even scarcer, but if there was ever a more fun round in either a 92 or a Marlin, I've never found it. You won't be sorry to have it alongside the 41, and I bet you end up using the 25 lots more. And speaking of pistols, it's baffled me all these years that no one ever turned out a pistol in 25-20. That's my fondest daydream.

I bought a Marlin 44 many years ago for my left-handed wife.
    She didn't like it so I hunted with it. I was surprised by the recoil. Not bad at all but more than I expected.

I took several deer with it and I was really impressed with how well it dropped deer in their tracks.

There is a lot to be said for that fat, slow movin' boolit.

I never used it on anything past 100 yards.

Thumbs up I like them...

We have an old Mod. 94 Winchester .44 Mag. My wife takes it bery picking and sometimes carries it on our hunts together. It has a 20" barrel and holds 10 rounds. To me it is a hoot to shoot. So far I have only killed 1 coyote with it. I also think it is a pretty darn good "home defense" weapon.

I love them, have some in 357 and some in 45 Colt. I want one in 460 S&W mag and hope someone makes them someday, may settle for a 454 for a while. Get ya some!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

The 44mag and 357 both turn into different animals in a rifle. Amazing amount of power in such a small package with all that extra barrel.

I had offered to buy a first year production Ruger Deerslayer (before Ithaca made them change the name to Deerfield) from a friend for years; I figured what the heck, the worst he can do is say no, right? He is no dummy and came back with a very enthusiastic reply that cannot be repeated on here so we will just say no. What a wonderful little rifle- feels like my 10/22's in a way.

Brown Bear, I just bought a 16" barreled Puma 92 in 454 casull- I have some 400gr, 325gr and 255gr hard casts and some H-110, lil gun, and unique to try. Ill let you know how the load development goes, I cant wait!!!

I keep hoping and praying someone will make a lever in 500 S&W. That'd be just the ticket for fishing or berry picking. I imagine it'd have some pretty significant recoil, but imagine how many .500s I'd be able to stuff in the magazine tube

Default Model 94

I have a Win mdl 94 in 44 mag that I love. It is my favorite rifle for just plinking at the range. I shortened the stock for my 10 yr old daughter and she shoots 250gr cast bullets out to 75 yards into a pie plate. She is going to carry it moose hunting again this year and hopes to call one within 75 yrds. She likes to shoot the 44 more than my AR-15.

I loaded some light loads with Trail Boss and she shot all 100 that I loaded in one trip to the range. John

My absolute favorite rifle is a Marlin .357. I use it on everything from grouse to black bear. very handy, versitle, and cheap to feed.

Also have a 92 action in .454...almost as much smack as the 45-70 (untill you get into the heavy 405gr loadings anyways)

The marlin 44's do not have a twist rate condusive to stabilizing the 300gr class bullets (from my understanding from info gleaned at Marlinowners)

doubt you will regret getting your paws on one.

I have my eye pealed for the new stainless .357 marlin is starting to send out.

Talking Win. 94

About three years ago I took the wife with me to the local gun-shop hoping I could convince her that I needed the latest and greatest, and she conceded! Then she promptly said, "If you're getting that, then I'm getting this!" She held-up a blued Win. 94 Trapper in .357mag. I grinned ear-to-ear, and said, "Sure-thing honey."

I still grin ear-to-ear when I get to sneak her gun out, it is a great companion for my old S&W Mdl-19!!

My wife likes it too. It is slim and easy for her to carry, and she loves plinking with 38s, she is deadly to 100yds. So I am a happy and well-behaved husband!
    -J
    Last edited by jay51; 08-07-2009 at 11:42. Reason: shpelling

Quote Originally Posted by jay51 View Post
    About three years ago I took the wife with me to the local gun-shop hoping I could convince her that I needed the latest and greatest, and she conceded! Then she promptly said, "If you're getting that, then I'm getting this!" She held-up a blued Win. 94 Trapper in .357mag. I grinned ear-to-ear, and said, "Sure-thing honey."
    All my 94s are 30-30 but my Dad has 2 357s, a 44, and a 45 in his gun room as well as a bunch of true Winchester 92s. I like my Rossi made 92 copies fine, but when I go to Dad's house in Arizona it's the pistol chambered 94s I want to play with most out of his 200+ long guns.

If you want to get a wife or kid hooked on shooting it's hard to beat a good lever gun.

Quote Originally Posted by jay51 View Post
    My wife likes it too. It is slim and easy for her to carry, and she loves plinking with 38s, she is deadly to 100yds. So I am a happy and well-behaved husband!
    -J

So you donít think you can make it 100 yards before she gets to the rifle and draws a bead? I plan on running (or in my case waddling) an up-out-up route if mine ever gets after me.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Thumbs up cool....fun... moose and bear fear me

I have both !! "Browning 92's" one in .44. And one in .357 that has ONLY 1 box of ammo thur it in the org box. I don't know why i got the .357 as i shoot the he-l out of the .44... it's just to have matching guns!
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

I have three, 2 win 92s in 25/20 and 32/20 and a rossi 92 in 454 and now I want one in 357/38. Very neat rifles and fun to shoot. My wife shot the 454 the other day and now I'm worried she may decide it's hers. I shot one black tail with the 454 and it worked very well. I may try to use it on moose this year. Very fun guns and practical in 357 or larger calibers. Sure would like to find one in 41mag.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    My wife shot the 454 the other day and now I'm worried she may decide it's hers.
    Just give it to her then go get yourself a replacement.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Andy.
    I just spent my allowance on powder, primers and other gun stuff so a new 92 in 357 is going to have to wait. Oh well, maybe the wife will let me shoot the 454 some if I'm a good boy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast