Thread: From the horses mouth

Question From the horses mouth

We're living in New Zealand and have a fairly large family. We've always wanted to come over there but there are concerns regarding the kids safety. We have kids ranging from teens right down to an 8 month old, four around 10 to 12 years old and a 5 year old. These 6 kids would be our main concern as they are more likely to want to run round playing outdoors.

The main worry is predators, over here we have no predators so the kids can play around anywhere in relative safety. What my partner wants to know is, what are the REALISTIC chances of the kids being in danger from predators? We're not wanting to relocate into a city but neither are we looking at being in the middle of no where, say a small town or a place fairly close to a town.
    Also would the chances of a predator encounter be higher close to a town or way out in the bush? How do you guys with kids get on?

Thanks in advance.

Maarty and Shenah
    Last edited by maarty; 08-02-2009 at 02:52. Reason: forgot one question.

Depends. Are you talking about visiting? Are you talking about permenant residency? It makes a difference.

Oh sorry...missed the relocation part.

I won't say its totally safe to let kids "run around" outside but the dangers are probably less here than most places. That being said...a child is more likely to be attacked by a bear in Alaska than in L.A. All in all I would say once you and your children are aware of the possible encounters and what time of year these encounter are likey to occur, the dangers can be managed easily.

I would guess the odds are about like the Airs Rock dingo taking the baby in the other land down under. Yes there is a chance but them playing in the yard in Alaska is far far safer than riding with you in the car to the Auckland Airport. Like any new environment they (and you) will need to learn the ways of the critters, what is safe and what drives the risk up. Truth is ATVs, snow machines, and the cow moose all pose much more risk to youths in Alaska than predators do.

Alaska’s land mass is about 1/3 that of Australia so we have a wide diversity in critters from one place to another. Moose live in down town Anchorage among the tall office buildings, but can be very hard to find on hunting trips to the back country so to be less vague it would help if you had a town in mind. I would say think about the Matanuska Valley towns of Palmer or Wasilla for a small town feel where you can find work. If you like it cold, and I mean cold, Fairbanks or North Pole, and if you like wet with NZ like forests think South East Alaska. Tundra is Western and Northern, but work is all but nonexistent out there.

Give us more info so we can help more.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default Thanks Andy

That's the sort of info I'm after.
    That Dingo was pretty cool, not many animals know how to fold clothes like it did.

For kids my concern in a big or small town would be moose in the winter on the walk to a bus stop. Come late winter or deep snow the moose are hungry and grumpy and people don't think they are dangerous. People in Anchorage are more likely to be killed by a moose in late winter than by a bear in summer.

If you keep a clean yard - no bird feeders, dog food bags, chickens, rabbits, goats, open garbage bags/cans - then there is very little to draw a bear into the area. However, you can accidentaly buy a place that was built on a historic bear travel route and no matter how clean your yard is you will have bears walking through - see several Eagle River subdivisions on the north side of the river.

Wolves and coyotes are not a concern unless they are really hungry and have been lured in by food sources.

In some very remote areas there are still rabies outbreaks in the local fox populations and they can get to sled dog yards and kids, but it is a rare thing.

If AK had a decent mountian lion population then there would be cause for concern, but the one or two seen in the Kenai every few years is not enough to be an issue.

Thumbs up

No problems mate.Come to the SouthEast and give it go. Maybe damp at times but not wet,we still have dust but its from Glacial silt not dirt.

No problems here. We have a neighborhood full of kids and they just all run loose. I'm far more worried about cars and four wheelers than bears and moose.

I worked out in bush Alaska for eight years in over a dozen villages all over the state. Obviously the folks out there aren't too worried either..the dang kids don't even go to bed at night..LOL... I'd never seen so many kids running around loose at 2:00 am as I did in the villages in N.W. Alaska and along the Kuskokwim
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

i remember larry and mike telling me storys about the kids getting into trouble for staying out late and playing around the house and the open field next to the house..
    larry and mike wives where telling the kids to come in when was dark and get readly for bed ,..
    they would be out there intill 1.am or 2.am in the morning still playing in the summer time..
    the moms would come inside and get ready for bed and the kids would but mom its not dark yet
    there we times that the kids would sleep for almost 24 hours saight and get up and go all day and night playing and haveing fun outside..
    they also kept and eye on each other in the house front and rear yards areas..

Default Preditors aren't the problem

There are only 150-200 people in my hometown, played in the woods next to my house without ever seeing a bear, saw tracks, but never a bear. To be honest, i think that even as a five year old runt running around, the bears were probably more scared of me!! Never even heard of a wolf attacking someone, just doesn't happen unless somethings wrong with them. (rabies)

That being said.............I've probably been charged by moose while walking or riding snow-gos about 20 times through out my childhood, but most of those were because I was being a dumb kid. A little "edu-macation" with your kids about moose, and I doubt you will ever have a serious problem with the local wildlife. With 6 kids, that dividend check in October will be quite nice as well!!!

Your concern about the wildlife here would be like me saying I am never going to move to New Zealand because there is a higher chance i could be attacked by a shark if i swam in the ocean!

Quote Originally Posted by BIGAKSTUFF View Post
    With 6 kids, that dividend check in October will be quite nice as well!!!
    The Fund took a huge hit in the stock market and if things don't turn around the checks may not amount to a hill of beans after the one for this year.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default Are you a jetboater?

If not, you need to make it a point to boat as many of your rivers as you possibly can before you move up here, then start on ours. What a huge treat to be able to have lived and boated in the worlds two greatest jetboating paradises! I'm not sure if you're aware of it or not, but we alaskans have a long standing love affair with Sir Jon Hamilton for his contributions to the developement of the modern jetboat which opened up a huge portion of this largely inaccessable state.

Quote Originally Posted by maarty View Post
    We're living in New Zealand and have a fairly large family. We've always wanted to come over there but there are concerns regarding the kids safety. We have kids ranging from teens right down to an 8 month old, four around 10 to 12 years old and a 5 year old. These 6 kids would be our main concern as they are more likely to want to run round playing outdoors.

The main worry is predators, over here we have no predators so the kids can play around anywhere in relative safety. What my partner wants to know is, what are the REALISTIC chances of the kids being in danger from predators? We're not wanting to relocate into a city but neither are we looking at being in the middle of no where, say a small town or a place fairly close to a town.
    Also would the chances of a predator encounter be higher close to a town or way out in the bush? How do you guys with kids get on?

Thanks in advance.

Maarty and Shenah

I never worry about it. I grew up running around the woods pretty much all the time and never had a problem. Just use common sense. If you are by rivers w/ spawning salmon then there are probably bears around. Generally they don't want to mess w/ you just make it a point not to surprise them. I have never had an issue w/ a bear or other predator near Palmer or Wasilla. In most places you are more likely to have a run in with a moose than anything else and the same thing applies there, give them plenty of room and you will be find. My 2 year old is always supervised but my 5 and 7 play outside all the time, my biggest fear of predators is the same in Alaska that it was in Tampa, the 2 footed kind. As far as real danger I mostly worry about them playing in the street and getting hit by a car.

Thanks in advance.

Maarty and Shenah

Default Thanks guys

These are all helping clarify things.
    "With 6 kids, that dividend check in October will be quite nice as well!!!"
    Actually we have 11 kids between us, those six are just the youngest. There's 2 18 yr olds, a 17 yr old and 2 15 yr olds as well.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i have 5 here at the moment...

teh run on 30 acres... most the year... i am begining to think that is why i had not bears this year... they could not stand to listen to the kids

never been an issue with us...

mine are 18 mo -13 yrs
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

These are all helping clarify things.
    "With 6 kids, that dividend check in October will be quite nice as well!!!"
    Actually we have 11 kids between us, those six are just the youngest. There's 2 18 yr olds, a 17 yr old and 2 15 yr olds as well.

Oh my..............You have bigger problems than wildlife!

Default Nah

Quote Originally Posted by BIGAKSTUFF View Post
    Oh my..............You have bigger problems than wildlife!
    Not too big, only four of them are girls