Thread: moose hunting in NW alaska

Default moose hunting in NW alaska

Just wondering if anyone has any experiences they want to share about moose hunting in NW alaska. I'm living in Kotzebue and was curious about others experiences on the Noatak and Kobuk rivers and if it was any good for you. Just signed up on the forum and I've been looking through and seen some pretty good info and feedback. Good luck hunting.

Lived in Kotz myself back in 2004. Interesting place. Hope you enjoy your time there. Be sure to check out Walt Maslen. He rents high quality gear/rafts/etc.. in Kotz and help many out in the area planning hunting trips. His website is www.northwestalaska.com
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Don't know about Kotz but I can tell you Bruce Werbar out of Holy Cross via Aniak is the sizzle for hunting the Innoko/Yukon area. He has everything you need for a DIY and has a 90% + success rate for his moose hunters and one heck of a nice guy.

He has the moose and bear down to a science.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Kobuk River is a fairly Moosy place.....not as much hunting pressure as the Noatak gets and theres plenty of River Delta to hunt.
    Seen LOTS of Moose this winter, a couple herds of 20+ and plenty just boating around this summer.

PM me if your needing more info on the lower Kobuk.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Default I'll second stranger

Seen plenty this winter and just about smacked four (two cows and two bulls) when I was cruising a creek and came around a tight turn several weeks ago. Nothing big, but looked almost as tasty as the little feller I got last year in the same area. You can do the Noatak and do well if you look in the right spots, but if you have a boat and the winds cooperate to getting across the lake you'll have better luck if you are new to this area and moose hunting in general. Are you a resident? did you pick up the RM880?

yeah boated across the lake a couple of weeks ago and it was choppy, some idiots got stuck on the sand bar at the mouth of the noatak i dont know what they were thinking they were running west to east trying to go across the mouth. didnt see much for moose though probably didnt go up far enough. last week went up the kobuk and a little into the squirrel. but just cows mostly and a couple of little bulls and i mean little like you had to look close to see antler.

Don't rule out Kiana either, thats a fantastic place to catch a float hunt.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed