Thread: Knife sharpner

Default Knife sharpner

Does anyone have a favorite knife sharpener that you would recommend? I want one to use for my hunting and fishing knives.

Wet/dry sandpaper on a piece of heavy duty glass. Start with 400 grit, then 800, then 1200, then 2000 grit. Finish off with a few strokes on a razor strop and you can shave with it.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbrier View Post
    Does anyone have a favorite knife sharpener that you would recommend? I want one to use for my hunting and fishing knives.
    Yup, I ran accross something at a garage sale, and then made another one. It was a small stone glued to a strip of thin board.

It worked so well, I made one of my own. I got a small hard Arkansas Stone and Gorilla Glued it to the end of of a strip of thin board, and put a knob on the handle end on the underside.

It's lightweight, and easy to carry in my pack. The board and the knob, makes for a handle, and so there's no longer the problem of holding a small stone, and trying not to cut yourself.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Both Lansky and Smith make good sharpening kits. I have a couple of these and keep one in my pack and one in my kitchen. They are about $30 a pop but I have had mine for years with no problems and end up with razor sharp knives. The kits come with three stones, (fine, medium and course) and you can buy additional stones or diamond sharpeners. I found the ones it comes with are all you need, unless you're sharpening serrated blades, and they make a stone for that too.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Default Lansky

Have had one for years - good kit. However, I make my own also - if you can find a source some of the big bulbs used in street lighting contain 2 ceramic sticks. These are the elements - I think 400 watt High Pressure Sodium lamps are what I have used???
    Anyway break bulb - remove sticks - drill a couple "V" shaped holes in a 2 x 2 and you will have a superb sharpener that will keep a razor edge on a knife. Now, you may need the Lansky to get the first edge on....
    Check with a college, hospital, city works person for a source....

Get a Havalin knife so you don't need sharpening equipment in the field. Get a Lansky diamond sharpening kit, so your day to day pen knife is never dull.

Brett

Default There are so many

out there I decide to buy one form Eagle River Knife Company and support the local economy. They advertise them as a Ulu sharpener but will work for all knives and hooks as well. Small and compact ,will fit in your pocket.
    http://www.eagleriverknife.com/ulu.html#sharpener
    Fish IT! Hunt IT! or *#%@ IT!

At home I use a Spyderco Sharpmaker. It's so easy to use.......a caveman........well you know.

One recommendation I would make though is to spend the extra money on the diamond sticks for it. They are especially helpful when reshaping the the edge.

Out in the field I use a DMT diamond stick.
    Now what ?

Good old fashioned stones is still my favorite.

Default Will be giving

the havalon the solo test on sheep. Will not take another knife with me, so also no sharpener. I think it will do just fine! I really like the $10 pull through sharpeners for a quick hit on the blade. Works great on my knives.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I have a Lansky, and it does have some value for sharpening a THIN bladed knife, I guess.

The only thing the Lansky accomplishes is to help you keep the same angle. You don't need it for that.

IMO, they're more a gimmick than anything else. The different stones are part of it.

For working at home, I reccommend a W*******a stone. For on the job, the "small stone glued to a strip of thin board" that I mentioned before.

I usta have a Gerber Steel, and later, a Dimond Steel, but I had no luck with either, or any steel I've tried. I do pretty good with a stone though. I learned the secret.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
    At home I use a Spyderco Sharpmaker. It's so easy to use.......a caveman........well you know.

I have been using this same sharpener for years now and love it, very easy to use and puts a long lasting edge on any blade out there.

I did run across a small Benchmade sharpener that I decided to give a try. It is about the size of a quarter and weighs next to nothing, comes with a small hole for a lanyard, piece of 550 cord, or whatever you want to use to secure it. I have played with it a bit and it does put an edge on blades but they do not last as long as my Spyderco does. I think it will work great for pack in hunts or any other hunt where one is limited on weight and space.
    http://www.benchmade.com/products/pr...?model=983902X

Looks like they have added a few others to the line up since I purchased mine.

gatco sharpening system for at home, getting the proper bevel on your blades EVERY TIME will help them stay sharp ALOT longer than if you have a curved bevel or off set one from sharpening by hand..some guys are that good...i'm not.

for my backpack the little blue or black DMT folders you get at wall mart..awesome little sharpeners.

but the havalon knife is all i carry now...soooo i don't even use sharpeners anymore.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Have had one for years - good kit. However, I make my own also - if you can find a source some of the big bulbs used in street lighting contain 2 ceramic sticks. These are the elements - I think 400 watt High Pressure Sodium lamps are what I have used???
    Anyway break bulb - remove sticks - drill a couple "V" shaped holes in a 2 x 2 and you will have a superb sharpener that will keep a razor edge on a knife. Now, you may need the Lansky to get the first edge on....
    Check with a college, hospital, city works person for a source....
    The ceramic sticks work great if you can find them.

Jason