Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: How 'bout that gun show?

  1. #1
    Member Diesel Nut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    354

    Default How 'bout that gun show?

    Is it just me, or are the pickings getting pretty thin at gun shows recently? This is my third of the year, and they just aren't what they used to be. I remember the shows years back at the Patty Center in Fairbanks where there was always three or four rifles that really interested me, be it an oddball chambering (264 Win Mag, 6.5/284, 358 STA) or a really nice older rifle (Voere, factory sporting Mauser, Mannlicher, Finnbear). There was also tons of ammo for guns the seller no longer owned, reloading components or tools at nearly every table, and a ton of pistol magazines and holsters. This show seemed to have the standard military surplus Mausers, a few custom ammunition vendors and a bunch of 30 year old pump action shotguns that must be made of gold for what the sellers wanted. Throw in the ARs that were priced at MSRP +40%, and primers at $50/thousand and it makes me wonder why I spent $14 to walk through the Sullivan Arena...

    Is this the norm now, or was this just a smaller than average show?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    welfare state of Alaska
    Posts
    5,153

    Default Changes

    I managed to pick up a couple of good rifles at good prices - seems like I always find something interesting. Shows are getting smaller -gun shows have to compete with EBay etc.

    Guess I just have to ask - what did you take over there to sell at less than current market prices?


    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Nut View Post
    Is it just me, or are the pickings getting pretty thin at gun shows recently? This is my third of the year, and they just aren't what they used to be. I remember the shows years back at the Patty Center in Fairbanks where there was always three or four rifles that really interested me, be it an oddball chambering (264 Win Mag, 6.5/284, 358 STA) or a really nice older rifle (Voere, factory sporting Mauser, Mannlicher, Finnbear). There was also tons of ammo for guns the seller no longer owned, reloading components or tools at nearly every table, and a ton of pistol magazines and holsters. This show seemed to have the standard military surplus Mausers, a few custom ammunition vendors and a bunch of 30 year old pump action shotguns that must be made of gold for what the sellers wanted. Throw in the ARs that were priced at MSRP +40%, and primers at $50/thousand and it makes me wonder why I spent $14 to walk through the Sullivan Arena...

    Is this the norm now, or was this just a smaller than average show?
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

  3. #3
    Member Diesel Nut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    354

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    I managed to pick up a couple of good rifles at good prices - seems like I always find something interesting. Shows are getting smaller -gun shows have to compete with EBay etc.

    Guess I just have to ask - what did you take over there to sell at less than current market prices?
    Glad you found something that filled a need or desire for you. I brought a Sako AV in 375 H&H that I was looking to trade for something in 280 Remington. I'm not interested in selling outright, but a trade for a nice scoped Remington or Ruger is certainly below current market price for a nice AV.

    I'm not upset about failing to find below market prices, but the market on AR platforms from actual gunstores with new guns is at or below MSRP. To think that someone can buy a Stag M-4, add a TAPCO stock and forend and jack the price by $500 is pretty absurd though,and there was a lot of that on display. The primers at $50/thousand are also overpriced by at least $10 (20%) over current market value.

    In any event, the only thing that was close to catching my eye was a Remington 700 with 26" Douglas bbl in 8mm Rem Mag. There wasn't a Sako or Steyr in sight, and I can buy a brand new 870 for $320 when folks were asking $350 for used. I guess its time to haunt the brick and mortar stores and keep hoping for something to pop up in the Swap & Sell Forum.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    201

    Default

    Primers at GNG and Mt View were both cheaper than the show today. Probably the other stores too, but those were the only ones I got to and looked at primer prices. OTOH, I saw primers with $50/1000 prices at the show, but didn't see anyone buying at that price.

    There was at least one DPMS that was stock M-4-looking except for a Magpul pistol grip for $950. Not bad, maybe not great, but not overpriced from what I've seen in the local stores.

    There were several nice Remington pumps in .30-06 for $250-350, and a couple of unknown caliber with scopes for $450. Nice guns, some wear, but looked at least as good as rifles I see people hunting with.

    And the buy of the day was a SIG P-226 for $350. If I hadn't just committed this week to buying about $600 in AR parts, I would have a nice finish worn but still superb SIG.

    Oh, and .380 for as low as $35/50.
    Last edited by scottr; 08-02-2009 at 00:27. Reason: Added .380.

  5. #5

    Default

    I don't even bother going to the gun shows anymore. Why bother? The guns are usually beat and the prices are obsurd. I'd rather not deal with the rif-raf scalper types anyways. You can get a better deal at a local gun shop on a new gun.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,805

    Default

    I didn't make this one today. Maybe tomorrow, but $14.00 ???? Gimme a Break.

    I like Gun Shows, and some are better'n others, but I agree that they have deteriorated. The prices for some things, are good for a laugh though.

    I see the same junk time after time, from the same vendors, so I know it's not selling, which would indicate they don't really want to sell anything, or they don't know what they're doin. On the other hand, they keep comin back, so I dunno.

    I've wondered if the tables were overpriced for the occassional vendor, and that's why we don't see them anymore.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  7. #7
    New member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    13

    Default

    I miss the gun shows of the 1960's and 1970's. Tables full of Garands, M1 carbines, 03-A3's and MILSURPLUS 30-06 FMJ ammo for $5.00 per 100 rounds.

  8. #8
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    Heck I wan't even around there, but honestly things have really fallen off even since the late 80's and 90's when my dad used to take me.

  9. #9
    Member Alangaq's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!
    Posts
    1,232

    Default

    Historicaly it has always seemed to me that the Anchorage show’s are a little “weak” when compaired to Wassila or Palmer, so I generaly don’t get my hopes up very much when attending.
    As many of you know, I am not one for “plastic” guns, so if it sports a synthethic stock, its pretty much invisable to me and as a result, I couldn’t tell you if they are priced high or if they were giving them away. I did however note a few lever guns and some decent bolt guns that were priced “ok”…. What I mean by that is that they were priced about the same as I would price them if I was selling, but not quite priced low enough to get me to buy. I cant really blame a guy for trying to make a buck off of his stuff, after all, the sellers are there to make money, while I am there trying to find a bargain, and in my case it all came together over one of those old lever action falling block Ithaca single shot .22’s. The guy was asking $135, but came down to $100 and after some back and forth, finaly settled on $90. I got a deal I could live with that allowed me to buy the little gun, and he likely made a few bucks off of something he didn’t really want or need anymore. Pretty much a win, win for everyone, and I truly think that is how it is supposed to work at a gun show….
    As far as the reloading equipment goes, I didn’t really see anything. No presses (other than shot gun stuff) only a couple of scales and some really old and over priced powder measures.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

  10. #10
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    419

    Default

    Usually the wasilla H-S and late winter one at the Fair Grounds are da good'ens.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    257

    Default Ithaca 49

    I been looking for one of them for the grandson. He's only 10 months old, so I guess I have a bit of time.... spent the day with him rather than at the gun show so I'm not complaining.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    3,568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seant View Post
    I don't even bother going to the gun shows anymore. Why bother? The guns are usually beat and the prices are obsurd. I'd rather not deal with the rif-raf scalper types anyways. You can get a better deal at a local gun shop on a new gun.
    Yup, it is always the same junk just moved to different tables. I stopped hitting the local shows about 4 years ago. I doubt ebay has hurt sales at shows as you can not sell guns, bullets, brass, etc on ebay.
    Tennessee

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    29

    Default

    How many people were you bringing into the show for $14.00?

  14. #14
    Member Diesel Nut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    354

    Default

    Me, the Chief Financial Officer (AKA: Wife ) and my two kids.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •