Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jim Teeny TFO

Default Jim Teeny TFO

I am still debating the new fly rod for my Sept trout trip on the Kenai. My local fly shop now recommends the Jim Teeny 7wt 10 foot (4 or 5pc) for the Kenai trout bead fishing. For $200 is this my best choise? I know fishing is in full swing up there guys and I appreciate your time and input. I just want to get this right. I will be out of town for a week or so and will look forward to your responces when I come back.

Default TFO Jim Teeny

I have a 10ft 10wt Jim Teeny rod, and I really like it. It is a fast action rod, which is great for casting heavy flies and split shots. It is also a pretty accurate rod, even with big weighted flies. I think the 10ft 7wt rod would be great for the Kenai. The only thing I don't like is that the 10ft rods only come in a 5 piece. Nothing wrong with the way it fishes, I just prefer a 4pc.

Jake
    All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

Default 5 piece...

I have a TFO 10' 7 wt four piece. Perpaps a "Pro" or "Lefty Kreh", can't remember.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Reasonable Rod

Reasonable price and exception warranty. I have been fishing TFO for a couple of years and have found they are a respectable rod. I like the Axiom the best but it comes down to preference. For the money and the warranty the J.T. 10ft 7W will work very well. I lean towards a little shorter rod and have found that 10ft is a little long for my style of fishing i.e. not trying to fish the world with one rod and with in my limits and ability.

Might I suggest if you are comfortable with a 9ft or 9ft 6in rod you look at what you might feel fits your ability and casting style to your standard method of fishing then make your best choice. I can't ever remember over the past 30 plus years of fly fishing thinking Man I wish I had a 10ft fly rod.

Sorry for rambling

Best of lick in your choice and purchase.

Blue Moose

I just ordered a Teeny 10ft 7wt and an 9ft 8wt for kenai pen fishing in sept. Sounds like we are thinking along the same lines. I have fished a 9ft 6wt teeny in the lower 48 as a streamer rod, and love it. I would compare the action to an old sage XP, moderately fast by TFO standards. I have a suspicion that the Teeny Rod is just a Professional blank with a paint job and clear coat to speed it up a bit. Like the TiCR & TiCRX. Anyone know? Any rate, good rod for cheap IMO.

I have two TFO rods; a 9ft. 8 wt. with an Okuma large mid arbor reel that I use for silvers (also great for permit and peacock bass down south) and a TFO 12 wt. with a TFO large arbor reel that I use for tarpon and sailfish. Both are lefty kreh models and I have been nothing but happy with them. One of the best bangs for the buck out there in flyrods IMHO.

Good enough, I am going with that rod! Thanks.

I am sure you will be happy with that rod. Nice choice for your intended task. Below is an older thread that may be worth reading over...

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...to+fish+a+bead
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I fish one 9' 6wt and love it
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Do you have the TFO Teeny 6wt? I like the 10ft idea (I have a 10ft fly rod already and like it) but the fly shop here says the 7wt is the way to go. However, I like the idea of a lighter rod. What do you say Chuck 6wt or 7? Thanks!

Default Either or...

I would decide what flies you plan to throw and such and then decide. Not enough difference in weight to matter (to me) at only 3/10th of an ounce. Honestly, I got the 10 foot 7 wt rods because I was all stocked up on 6 wt and 8 wt rods. Not alot of difference in the two when comparing 6 and 7 wt. 6 wt will be a little lighter, 7 wt will have just a bit more backbone. Could come in handy on bringing fish in quicker and also if you are throwing big wet esl, articulating flesh flies, etc... Half dozen in one hand, six in the other if you ask me.

From TFO website...

TFO 6 wt. 10' 5 piece 6 Wt. 10'-0" 5 Pc. 5.4 Ounces

TFO 7 wt. 10' 5 piece 7 Wt. 10'-0" 5 Pc. 5.7 Ounces

Quote Originally Posted by chitownflyfisher View Post
    Do you have the TFO Teeny 6wt? I like the 10ft idea (I have a 10ft fly rod already and like it) but the fly shop here says the 7wt is the way to go. However, I like the idea of a lighter rod. What do you say Chuck 6wt or 7? Thanks!

I fished the upper with my 5 last year. while alot of fun I think it was a bit light. I have fished with 6's and 7 wts for the last 4 years before that. Im totally pleased with my 6. Im gonna keep it. I dont even own a 7wt anymore. All 4's 5's 6's and 8's. Most of the guides put thier clients on 7wt's. It is a good solid rod that will play well with the quality of fish on the kenai. It is just about your preference now. Oh and I used my 6wt for reds all year this year. I had the room to play them and run them and it was a fish slayer for sure. It got a nice break in along with my 2 new solitude reels.

Oh and I am fishing a 8'6 2 piece 6wt lefty during fishaplooza
    June fishes the TFO Breast Cancer Awareness Rod 8'6 4 piece 5wt
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Thanks for the reply. Time to start packing!

Lightbulb

I'd be happy to call Jim for you if you had questions. He used his prototype TFOs during our pilot episode shoot. I have a few rods in my truck and like them but Im a crappy fly fishing guy so what do I know
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

A 10' stick is nice when you are nymph style fishing because you can mend better and high stick better. It's also nice if you are fishing from a boat, you can reach out around the oars with a lot more ease.

As far as line weight, a 7 is a better choice for the bigger water and possible bigger size fish you may encounter, a 6 works but you have to play the fish to long and that is a bad thing for the fish. The quicker you land it, the quicker it will revive. Over playing those Bows will only increase the mortalirty rate.

Get the 7 wt. 10' for mending, fishing in a boat, wind, roll casting and big fish.

Fishing with a six weight on the Kenai is a sure way to kill a couple Kenai trout. If you want any chance at all with a legendary Kenai bow, then get the seven or even an eight. I've had clients get schooled with eight weights in their hands!

I'm sold on the 7wt. I am a firm believer in getting them in as fast as possible as a lot of other people on this site are as well. I can't help but ask myself however (every time I read a post on the subject of bigger rod = getting them in faster ) if it is not the rod but the line diameter that makes the difference there. I can use a 8wt rod with 5lb line and still take a long time to get in a big bow. I can also use a 5wt with 12# tippet and drag them in (I know I would snap some rods). I know I have read that the fish are not line shy and I guess I plan on using 8# maxima ultragreen for my tippet. On a 7wt I think that sounds about right.

For fishing streamers I use 12 pound Maxima on my six and seven weight rods.

I will be fishing beads on the Kenai in September. I usually fish a heavier line when fishing streamers. In Michigan we use 6 or 5# Maxima UG for the trout and Steelhead but the rivers are much smaller and flows are less. Is 5 or 6# Maxima too light for the bows in the refuge?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast