Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .303 British Ready For The Range

Default .303 British Ready For The Range

I am finished with my initial loads using 180gr SPT, Rem Brass, 210 Fed primers, IMR4895, A-XMR2495 (AA2495BR). Will go Monday are Tuesday if all goes well with the weather.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Looking at the picture it looks like the light of god has shown upon it and it should be divine.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Looking at the picture it looks like the light of god has shown upon it and it should be divine.
    Yes I got the effect I wanted. I wanted it to look like the cartridge was traveling pushing the wind aside while at the same time allowing the cartridge to stand out on it's own.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

beartooth have a ? for you! Did you load 308. dia. or 311 bullets in there??I have a friend that had a bunch of these, enfields i beleave If i remember right ? that 308 raddle up in down the barrel they wheren,t tight in the rifling? In the end he had made a bunch of other rifles in different Cal. out of those actions.

Quote Originally Posted by SusitnaAk View Post
    beartooth have a ? for you! Did you load 308. dia. or 311 bullets in there??I have a friend that had a bunch of these, enfields i beleave If i remember right ? that 308 raddle up in down the barrel they wheren,t tight in the rifling? In the end he had made a bunch of other rifles in different Cal. out of those actions.
    I am using a 180gr Sierra SPT ProHunter in .311"
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default Beartooth, what rifle?

What rifle are you shooting those through? Standard issue Enfield? Sporterized? Custom job? I like the .303--much history in that round. The only one I have is a completely worn out old No. 1 Mk III* made in 1916. By the looks of it, it may have been worn out before Armistice Day. One of those guns you wish could talk. But it still shoots OK.

Default Ah, guess I missed that thread...

Looks like a nice rifle. Probably what mine looked like about 90 years ago...

Well it truly was a good day.

Anytime you have a rifle that is 96 years old and is a military rifle with open sights and you can shoot it under 2" at 100yds with your initial reloads and have velocities above average without pressure signs or being over max - I CALL THAT A GOOD DAY!!!!!

This .303 No.1 MKIII made at the Lithgow factory is really one fine shooting military rifle. I did not touch the sights because I was firing for accuracy of groups and desired velocity without going over max.

I know why the a soldier could put a lot of rounds on a target fast with the 303 Enfield, because you want to talk about a smooth shooting rifle. I does not beat you to death with sharp recoil nor violent push. It is a piece of cake to shoot. Really nice indeed. It has a two stage trigger and once I got use to it the second stage broke clean and with out much effort.

Here are pictures of my chrony, targets and brass using A-XMR2495 which is know by many as AA-2495BR. It gave the best accuracy and above average velocities without pressure signs or being over max.

CHRONY READINGS:

40grs of 2495BR at 2392FPS

41grs of 2495BR at 2447FPS

42grs of 2495BR at 2523FPS

43grs of 2495BR at 2591FPS
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

44grs if 2495BR at 2614FPS

TARGETS:

Largest group

Smallest group with 42grs of 2495 at 2523FPS and group was 1.446"

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

BRASS:

Here is a piece of brass using 44grs of 2495 at 2614fps

Here are all the brass shot with 2495
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Adjust my sights to 3" at 100yds and good to go.

Ballistic Chart
    .303 British
    180gr Sierra SPT
    2523fps

Sight in at 3.0" high at 100yds

1000 foot pounds energy as minimum on deer size game

Yards--------Velocity-----Energy-----(above/below line of sight)

0--------------2523------2544-------------(-1.5")

100-----------2319------2149-------------(+2.7")

215-----------2096------1756-------------(Zero)

270-----------1993------1588-------------(-5”)

308-----------1924------1480-------(-10” P/B-hold top of shoulder)

365-----------1824------1330--------(-10” from top of shoulder)

384-----------1791------1282--------(-14” from top of shoulder)
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

44grs of 2495BR really shot well today and a little tweaking of the OAL and I think it will be my load at 2614fps.

Adjust my sights to 3" at 100yds and good to go.

Ballistic Chart
    .303 British
    180gr Sierra SPT
    2614fps
    Sight in at 3.0" high at 100yds

1000 foot pounds energy as minimum on deer size game

Yards--------Velocity-----Energy-----(above/below line of sight)

0--------------2614------2731-------------(-1.5")

100-----------2405------2312-------------(+3.0")

225-----------2159------1862-------------(Zero)

281-----------2053------1684-------------(-5)

320-----------1980------1568--------(-10 P/B-hold top of shoulder)

380-----------1873------1402--------(-10 from top of shoulder)

400-----------1838------1350--------(-14 from top of shoulder)
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

While I applaud your working with this fine old cartridge, I believe your loads are excessively hot. The design of the action is what limits this cartridge to the pressures listed in reloading manuals.

You are 214 fps over the maximum listed load out of Nick Harvey's manual, and this cartridge is like our .30'06 in Australia. The best load off the Hodgdon pages is 2500fps using BL(C)-2 @ 43k CUP.

I truly do not think you want a case head separation due to the receiver spreading at 45k CUP.

Just a warning.

So what are you going to hunt? And when?
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    While I applaud your working with this fine old cartridge, I believe your loads are excessively hot. The design of the action is what limits this cartridge to the pressures listed in reloading manuals.

You are 214 fps over the maximum listed load out of Nick Harvey's manual, and this cartridge is like our .30'06 in Australia. The best load off the Hodgdon pages is 2500fps using BL(C)-2 @ 43k CUP.

I truly do not think you want a case head separation due to the receiver spreading at 45k CUP.

Just a warning.

So what are you going to hunt? And when?
    First of all I am not over pressure with the 2495BR. In fact it is publish load data. This data is pressure tested and this charge is under max. On top of that my brass base is not expanded any where near unsafe limits, primer pockets are fine and ejection of the case is very easy. As I said this is published data using 2495 and I am not over the max charge. Nick Harvey did not use this powder with the 303 so how would he know.

I have also used this with the 358Win 2495BR produced above average velocities and low pressures just as it has done in the 303. I appreciate your concern but I have been down this reloading road for over 35yrs and I assure you I made sure this powder and charge were published and safe.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default Good chamber

I will assume that the Lithgow chambers were closer to tighter tolerances than the general majority of British made SMLEs. They had pretty generous chambers so that the rifle could function with sizeable amounts of grunge inside. This didn ot make for numerous reloads on brass. Also, the chambers were often not cleanly concentric so just neck sizing did not always resolve the problem. I had a 3-1 that I had the barrel set back on and rechambered just to see and the groups were very impressive after that. Yours seems to be well set up with the group sizes you apparently were able to achieve. Probably a better shot with open sights then these old eyes could do.

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    I will assume that the Lithgow chambers were closer to tighter tolerances than the general majority of British made SMLEs. They had pretty generous chambers so that the rifle could function with sizeable amounts of grunge inside. This didn ot make for numerous reloads on brass. Also, the chambers were often not cleanly concentric so just neck sizing did not always resolve the problem. I had a 3-1 that I had the barrel set back on and rechambered just to see and the groups were very impressive after that. Yours seems to be well set up with the group sizes you apparently were able to achieve. Probably a better shot with open sights then these old eyes could do.
    mauserboy, this Lithgow being a post war production must have tighter tolerances than the general majority you mentioned. It is certainly more accurate than the Enfield I bought back in 1968 for $13.50. I was lucky back then with factory ammo to hit the target at 100yds much less think of good groups.

My brass does not expand at the base of the brass very much at all and ejection is really easy. This seems to be a very well made rifle. As you can see with the picture of the brass that there aren't any signs of being over max.

I will be adjusting the OAL and hope to even do better on the groups.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Beartooth, I look forward to hearing about your hunting experiences with this rifle. I am somewhat of a collector of WWI and II era military guns, and have decided it might be fun to take them hunting at some point. My Garand took it's first Arkansas hog a few weeks ago (I was not the shooter, but was along for the hunt). It's nice to get the old warhorses out in the field from time to time.

Yes, I can't wait to take this one hunting. Here is some results from this morning.

Here are four rounds of 44grs AA2495BR at 100yds and also their chrony readings. The military open sights are holding me back. I waited three minutes between shots because it was 84 degrees with 95% humidity this morning. In waiting three minutes between shoots my lighting changed back and forth due to cloud cover and the the sun braking through now and then.

Four rounds at 100yds

My handloads are showing very good consistency as seen by the chrony readings. The following is the order in which I fired the four rounds.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Here is my fourth round chrony reading:

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast