Thread: 416 Ruger

Default 416 Ruger

Anyone have the 416 Ruger yet? What is your opinion on it? One followed me home yesterday and I would like to hear what others have to say about it. Won't get to shoot mine until sometime later in August though.....

I picked up that cannon a few weeks back. As you I haven't been out to shoot it yet. Loaded up 20 rounds off some reload data that Hornady had sent me. Was a big pain in the butt trying to find dies for it but finally got some from a company on the internet. The one thing I did find out was that after loading the rounds in the mag...full with all 3....the first round jammed more then half the time trying to feed those 400 gr hornady DGX's. It feeds fine with just 2 in the mag and one up the pipe. I'm going to try and hit the range at Birchwood sometime Tuesday or Wednesday next week. I'll post and let you know how it was. If I survive

Terbear, I had the same feeding problem with a Hawkeye Alaskan in .375 Ruger. I sent it back to Ruger twice and they never fixed it, so the third time I told them to give me my money back. I have no use for a "dangerous game" rifle that won't perform as advertised. Obviously, I was pretty disappointed and frustrated with Ruger. Next time a different company will get my money.

I have the 375 Ruger as well and have had no problems with it. I hand load the 260gr Nosler Accubonds for it. Love that bullet. Its knocked down several black bears and a couple moose that have traveled not far after being hit. My boy anchored a small brown this spring with my old 375H&H with the same bullet. I'm wondering on the 416 if maybe a different bullet might not fix the problem....say a 350gr barnes What looks like is happening is that the bullet is so big its catching on the feed ramp on the edge of the bullet as it travels up. But it only does it when the mag is full with 3 bullets. I think maybe the shells are to big for the mag size or the spring tension is to much making it jam....I dunno. I will try different things once they (Hornady) and or Nosler finally come out with the reload data for it. 4 rounds would be better then 3 but I guess 3 is better then none. Just glad I discovered this before I have a brown in front of me with bad intentions on his mind.

Quote Originally Posted by c04hoosier View Post
    Terbear, I had the same feeding problem with a Hawkeye Alaskan in .375 Ruger. I sent it back to Ruger twice and they never fixed it, so the third time I told them to give me my money back. I have no use for a "dangerous game" rifle that won't perform as advertised. Obviously, I was pretty disappointed and frustrated with Ruger. Next time a different company will get my money.
    Sorry to hear about your frustrations with Ruger. I have a .375 Alaskan and no problems at all.

I've loaded Accubond, Partition, Game King and TSX's in 260, 270, 300gr ranging from deeply seated to 3.365 COL.

It's a bummer that the idiot in customer service didn't take care of your needs. I've had great service with a different firearm in the past. Life isn't always fair, sometimes you get a bad deal.

Default I have had mine for about 3 months now

And love it. I am a little confused though why you didn't buy factory loads for it out of the gate. Ruger did have some big issues with the bullets not ejecting or feeding correctly so they pulled all the rounds across the country. However, they started selling them once again in May when I picked mine up. I shot 2 box's of shells at the range my first weekend with it. Ouch is all I can say but it was fun.

I also went to New England custom Guns who specialize in Ruger http://newenglandcustomgun.com/ and purchased their peep sight since I don't want to shoot with a scope on it. Awesome set up. pulled my shots into very nice groupings at 100 yrds or less. (Which is all the distance I will shoot 99% of the time.)

Lastly, I had a friend of mine heading up to AK from the lower 48 so I purchased 7 more box's of shells from Midway (at $56 ea) and had him bring them up for me. I am only shooting the DGX and not the DGS but my understanding from Hornady and a few other sites is they shoot exactly the same.

As for reloading this gun, I plan to and will but not until RCBS make a die for it. Redding makes them but I have been using RCBS for about 30 yrs now and they have been good to me. If I really think I need them sooner then I would send a spent shell to RCBS and they will take care of it for you, but I have the time.

2 weeks ago I took mine out with some family and friends (5) of us and we all took turns shooting it free hand and we all were able to shoot within a 8" plate. So I am pleased, very pleased... Havent killed anything with it yet, but I have not doubt it will do what I want...

Good luck.
    Tony

I did buy redding dies.....I emailed Hornady and they sent me the reload data but its far short of the factory 2400 fps. The most on what they sent me is 2250fps and the only bullet was the 400gr. The brass I got from Cabela's.......Hornady brass. The case length and COL I got from an artical on the web from someone who had played with the round as Hornady did not put that info with the reload data. The one thing I did not think to do was go to the factory length....I'm between that and max......might solve the jam problem but I'm doubting it.

I think the feeding problems come from the 30 degree shoulder, straight case (no taper) and the blunt 400 grain bulets. A good bullet design for terminal performance but not to feed from this gun. I made a 416 on the Ruger case when I got the first batch of basic brass (actually pre formed with 375 headstamp) I shortened the length to the shoulder, giving it .400" of neck and added another .015" of taper in that base to shoulder dimension. I have made three 416 rifles one .411" and one .423" from this design. All have fed without a hitch and two were in Ruger rifles. Two of those rifles are in the hands of folks who visit this forum. Also these 416 load to 56,000 psi and give 2370 fps to 400 grain bullets. I use H4895, my case has less capacity than the new 416 Ruger. As I evaluate my design, I think I would go with a 25 degree shoulder as an aid in smooth loading. My next venture with this case will be 2.570" trimmed length, .030" of taper, 410" of neck and a 25 degree shoulder and will hold .411" bullets, 350 grain A-frames at 2500 fps. I like this case for wildcattin'.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I have a friend interested in the .416 Ruger. We were talking today and he was concerned about the velocity from hand loads. What have people been getting from hand loads? I saw the post bellow about 2250fps. Has anyone reached 2300fps+? Has anyone put a cronograph on the Hornady factory to see if they're full of it?

Brett

Default yes

If you do a search you'll see my post's on the 416 Ruger. Very close on factory loads... But if I recall about 2350 to 2375 from a crony. I am pleased. Let me know if you can't find the thread and I will search for it.
    Tony