Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brooks Range Weather?

Default Brooks Range Weather?

What are the normal temp. ranges in mid August?Anybody have pic. of the country?

Thanks

It can range from the 60's all the way to snow. You can almost guarantee that it will frost at night and be hunting in the middle of the day in shirt sleeves. If it's raining you can count on temps in the low 40's to low 50's. Oh, and wind, lots of it
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default Brooks

Been there twice, once early September once mid August. Both times the weather was beautiful, probably not representative of the average though. But, here is a picture of the area in the foothill on the north slope of the range.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Generally your first 2 weeks of August, the weather can be awesome. Sunny, warm but not hot. Then it goes in the toilet. Thick fog rolls in and you can't see anything, windy, little bit of rain.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Based on almost 15 sheep hunts in ANWR plan on some sun, lots of fog, rain, and wind. There is a sig difference between the north side and the south side. Temps can range from maybe 10 to 20 to as hight as 75 depending on the year. Good luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Brooks Range...

That is a big area man. Conditions will vary obviously depending on where you will be. www.wunderground.com mentioned earlier is a great way to check weather patterns in a given area for a specific time. I use this tool to plan float trips. Go to the site, select "Trip Planner" then enter the town/village geographically closest to the area you are visiting. Then select dates, like Aug 10-20, or what ever. Then it will pull up averages for that area. Info will include temp highs/lows, wind, precipitation, etc... This is a great way to learn about the weather you can expect for an area you have not visited. For mid Aug about 75-90 miles north of Kotz, on three float trips, we saw avg highs around 50-60 and lows in upper 20's to 40. The wind makes a huge difference of course up there. In Sept, we would see low 20's to mid 30's for the low, and highs of 40-50. I would go a tad over prepared if I were you. Extra clothes, zero degree bag instead of 20, extra fuel, etc.. Error on the side of caution when visiting the Brooks Range. Nothing you don't already know I am sure, but I could not help but to mention that.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

i live in kotz a little south of the range and its been rainy the last few days. its usually pretty hot the first couple of weeks then it can dip pretty low, it was in the fortys already yesterday.

I've only been up there three times and only for a few days on the north side. Never been west of the haul road and never later than about August 18 or earlier than about July 25. In those three trips I have seen everything from a foot of snow to sunny and mid-70s.

To the original poster I suggest that you do some research before posting a question like this and/or be more specific. The Brooks span 3/4 the width of Alaska. It is a big area and there are some big differences in geography, vegetation and weather across the range. The Baird Mts are a whole different ball game than the Phillip Smiths. Your question is sort of like planning a hunt in the Revelation Mts and asking what things are like in the Nutzotins.

How much daylight this time of year that far north? Do you guys pack a headlamp for anything other than in the tent? Trying to decide which one to bring.

Quote Originally Posted by coues32 View Post
    What are the normal temp. ranges in mid August?Anybody have pic. of the country?

Thanks
    Hey I sent you a PM on another topic.

I sure hope to hear about how your trip goes I am hoping to get up there if I am stateside next year! Good Luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    How much daylight this time of year that far north? Do you guys pack a headlamp for anything other than in the tent? Trying to decide which one to bring.
    I do bring a headlamp, but last year we finished packing out our sheep at 3am and never turned them on.

Default It still gets dark

Although the days are still longer up there, it still gets dark, mostly because of cloud cover and fog...yes LOts of Fog!!! the fog was a hinderance last year because it was quite warm up there on the north side, but we had lots of sunny days, we did spike up at between 3000- 4500 feet and woke up with ice on our bivy's.

Default Questions

Anyone has questions on the Brooks, better ask now, because I'm headin' out the door Friday (7Aug) evening, to fly into a remote location to chase a "white Ram", Good luck to all who seek the "Ovis Dalli" I'll post pics of my hunt, wether I get a sheep or not"...hey , at least I'm out there enjoying the great wilderness adventure, they say thats what you really pay for...the sheep is just a bonus......Be safe!

Default On another note:

Get good pics of your pack load and tent setup in the field....Thanx!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Anyone has questions on the Brooks, better ask now, because I'm headin' out the door Friday (7Aug) evening, to fly into a remote location to chase a "white Ram", Good luck to all who seek the "Ovis Dalli" I'll post pics of my hunt, wether I get a sheep or not"...hey , at least I'm out there enjoying the great wilderness adventure, they say thats what you really pay for...the sheep is just a bonus......Be safe!
    Excellent, have an awesome trip. My buddy and I feel the same way. Sheep or not we are going to be able to spend 7 days backpacking in the Brooks Range. A first for both of us. And of course the obvious question..."where is the best spot to hike in that holds the most/biggest Ovis Dalli rams!..." You can pm me the answer

Thanks for the replys not sure where I'm heading yet.Great pics guys.

Default Don't know where your heading yet?

What???? you gotta be kidding! season opens Monday (Aug 10th) or are you going in late season? you still should have a plan.

My planning starts as soon as I find out, I didn't get drawn for any hunts. then I decide what range I'm going to then stick to that plan and then start my research and getting some intel. I try to make my flight reservations by summer, because they do fill up quick. The bottom line to Sheep hunting is LOGISTICS!!!!

My original plan fell thru this week.have a plane to use,my brother is working on a spot,just tring to get some info from guys that have spent some time up there.

Unhappy nice

Kahahawai - great pics of you and your son in the AK mtns! I cannot wait til my son is old enough to do that with me. Good luck and do post pics...I am stuck in Baghdad right now and will miss this entire season!
    Psalm 18:34
    He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast