Thread: Starving Bear Scared by Helicopter

Default Starving Bear Scared by Helicopter

HI,

I'm writing a novel and I have an instance where a starving grizzly bear (in its own hunting grounds in the Alaska bush) is attacking two people even though the bear is in the vicinity of a hovering helicopter, perhaps 200 yards away. Is this realistic, or will a bear, even a starving one, run away from a helicopter if it gets that close? Or, better, how close does a helicopter have to come before it will spook a starving grizzly?

I know it's hypothetical, but any info would be helpful. Anyone?

I don't think that bear that was killed tredwell was all too worried of the plane that was bringing supplies. As he did fly overs I believe the bear just kept eating
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Thanks ironartist. Anyone else care to weigh in?

Default Revenge of a Grizzly.

I think it would depend on if the bear thought the helicopter was a threat or food.

Before the pipeline helicopter pilots would harass grizzly, which stop when a grizzly found one on the ground and ate it. The pilots and passenger were on a hill hiding when they were found, scare ****less and it was not because they had no food.

OK, I guess I was unclear. This would be a flying helicopter, blades whirring, very loud. Do bears always avoid/run away from them no matter what the circumstances are?

I don't know about a helicopter but I've seen a brown bear ignore an F-15 passing buy within 200 yds while the bear was feeding on a whale carcass. That's louder than a chopper.

Whoa! Yes, that's louder than a chopper.

Having worked for a helicopter company that did LOTS (over 20 yrs) of tagging of bears for AK. F&G for I can clearly state that if the bear is in a mood he will not be driven away by the helicopter.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Well now,

That's the kind of hardcore, definitive experience that I'm looking for.

Thanks Vance

I've seen bears walk through oilfield facilities without any apparent concern for loud noises or other activities. It's hard to say how one would react.

Generally, bears will run away from my Blackhawks.

However occasionally, they just don't really care that you're there. On one of those days, I imagine short of landing it on him, he wouldn't really care I was there.

AK and all others,

Thanks again for posting the information that I need.

Peter

Default Additional factors

"In the bush"... a bear that grew up far removed from human activity is more likely to be spooked by humans. A bear that grows up adjacent to humans will tend to ignore us.

"Attacking 2 people"... bears very rarely attack groups of people unless there is an aggravating circumstance, such as defending food (animal kill) or sow with cubs.

Even a wild bear won't be overly concerned about a helo 200 yards away. That's a pretty good distance. It would probably be more curious than afraid.

A "starving" bear will be much bolder than a "full" bear. A bear that is being predatory (looking at you as food) will be much more persistent in its attack over a bear reacting defensively.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I'm not going to recommend Helicopters for bear defense

I can tell you from personal experience that a Kodiak bear can stand up to a helicopter if it wants to. I had one on it's rear legs staring me down in an Astar.

HMMM a pack of bears? Interesting.