Thread: Caribou hunt this Fall

Wasilla, Alaska

Default Caribou hunt this Fall

OK, I want to hunt Caribou this Fall, a general season hunt for the first time here in Alaska.

How do I get started?

"If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. ....."Tight Lines & Best Fishes"

With your background, I would definately entertain the idea of a float hunt. NW is a popular spot. I have done three rivers up there that could be productive in mid Sept. As a bonus, you would have excellent dolly and grayling fishing as well. Mike Strahan's book, "Float Hunting Alaska" is a great book. If I were you I would pick up a copy as I am sure it would give you tons of ideas. Info in that book on all aspects of the trips. Gear, food, rafts, safety, caring for meat, and of course descriptions on many rivers suitable for float hunts. Walt Maslen, "Northwestalska" on the forum, rents quality gear/rafts/etc.. in Kotz and is a great source for info on anything in NW Alaska. Check out his website and shoot him an email. Nice guy and he knows the area like the back of his hand. He gave me some insights that helped with the planning on a few of my float trips up there. Most these rivers are 75-100 miles north of Kotz. Aside from the hunting and most excellent fishing, the land itself is very special. Something one just has to experience for themselves. I can assure you it would not be your last trip to NW Alaska.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Big Lake

Default its a little

LATE to plan a flyout hunt of anykind at this point. Most air taxis will booked up.
    There's always the haul road - lots of info in the archives on this.

Try ADAK...its doable.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel