Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: landlocked chinook

  1. #1
    Member Theone2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Valley,Alaska
    Posts
    229

    Default landlocked chinook

    how big do the landlocked chinooks get in lakes? what are some good techniqes to catch them?

  2. #2
    Member matjpow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    KGB
    Posts
    301

    Default

    I have never caught any in Alaska but I remember in Coeur d'Alene Lake in Idaho, they get about the size of a lake trout. You catch them by trolling because they hold in schools. They will run up into the creeks to spawn in the spring just like ocean run. I'm not sure what they do if they don't have a creek to run into.

    BTW where are there any up here?
    That's what she said...

  3. #3
    Member Theone2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Valley,Alaska
    Posts
    229

    Default

    they are in any lake that the f&g stocks them in. like mirror or bradley lakes

  4. #4
    Member matjpow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    KGB
    Posts
    301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Theone2 View Post
    they are in any lake that the f&g stocks them in. like mirror or bradley lakes
    No Chinook in Mirror

    http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/State...ail/LakeID/332

    none in Bradley either

    http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/State...ail/LakeID/403


    If you are refering to Coho's they get about the same size as trout.

    These do:

    http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/State...ail/LakeID/501

    http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/State...ail/LakeID/377

    also if you look at the sample data at memory they are smaller than rainbows. I think it requires a large lake with inlet streams and no drainage to the ocean to make big landlocked chinook salmon. All of which is probably nowhere in southern Alaska.
    That's what she said...

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by matjpow View Post
    I have never caught any in Alaska but I remember in Coeur d'Alene Lake in Idaho, they get about the size of a lake trout. You catch them by trolling because they hold in schools. They will run up into the creeks to spawn in the spring just like ocean run. I'm not sure what they do if they don't have a creek to run into.

    BTW where are there any up here?

    They die. To my knowledge the Coeur d'Alene strain and the Great Lakes strains are somewhat special in nature as they are fooled into thinking they are in the ocean somehow and actually enter their adult stage unlike in other closed systems where they stay stunted in their juvenille stages. However, I am not proclaiming any expertise in this area.....

    The biggest fish I ever caught in Idaho when I was a teen was a chinook out of Coeur d'Alene Lake and it was 17 pounds. But, mostly when my we fished it, we were pretty darn happy if we caught 3-6 pounders which we frequently did. I still go there in the summer every year and fish as my parents live close by. It is still good fishing.

    But to answer the question, there are a number of land locked king lakes around, this link shows which ones: http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Stati...al/SClakes.pdf

    Good Luck in your fishing

    Tim

  6. #6
    Member TYNMON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Corvallis, Oregon, United States
    Posts
    918

    Default What????

    Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    They die. To my knowledge the Coeur d'Alene strain and the Great Lakes strains are somewhat special in nature as they are fooled into thinking they are in the ocean somehow and actually enter their adult stage unlike in other closed systems where they stay stunted in their juvenille stages. However, I am not proclaiming any expertise in this area.....

    The biggest fish I ever caught in Idaho when I was a teen was a chinook out of Coeur d'Alene Lake and it was 17 pounds. But, mostly when my we fished it, we were pretty darn happy if we caught 3-6 pounders which we frequently did. I still go there in the summer every year and fish as my parents live close by. It is still good fishing.

    But to answer the question, there are a number of land locked king lakes around, this link shows which ones: http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Stati...al/SClakes.pdf

    Good Luck in your fishing

    Tim
    Coho and chinook can easily be stocked in lakes as freshwater residents and are throughout the NW...

    Kenai Pennisula lakes are stocked w/ chinook...

  7. #7
    Member WaterWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    411

    Default

    I have yet to catch a land locked Salmon of any type. I can manage everything els but I'm thinking the land lock God is frowning on me.

  8. #8
    Member Milo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,472

    Default Land Locks

    [QUOTE=matjpow;544809]No Chinook in Mirror

    http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/State...ail/LakeID/332

    Click the link for stocking data on that page and you will see that F&G puts 10,000+ chinock in Mirror every year. Never caught any big enough to clean and I mostly just find them annoying when trying to catch trout.


    Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    They die. To my knowledge the Coeur d'Alene strain and the Great Lakes strains are somewhat special in nature as they are fooled into thinking they are in the ocean somehow and actually enter their adult stage unlike in other closed systems where they stay stunted in their juvenille stages.
    The Great Lakes strain is of west coast origin and fall spawners - kings enter the rivers in September. The majority has been put and take management with fish being recovered and hatchery spawned, however the state of Michigan has been getting a substanitial amount of natural reproduction. I grew up fishing Lake Michigan and its WAY easier to catch kings there than Alaska (5/day bag limit and trolling with 3 lines/person). The trade off is size - average 4 year old king's weight is probably around 18#s. But that is variable from year to year depending on alewife populations. The other trade off is table quality - fair when compared to Alaska fish.

    Lake Oahe and Lake Sakakawea as well as a couple others in the Dakotas also have Chinook fisheries, but weights of mature fish are in the 10-15# range and dependant on forage and water levels.

  9. #9
    Member Theone2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Valley,Alaska
    Posts
    229

    Default

    I meant Matsu lake. how big do the chinooks get in there?

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TYNMON View Post
    Coho and chinook can easily be stocked in lakes as freshwater residents and are throughout the NW...

    Kenai Pennisula lakes are stocked w/ chinook...
    Yes they can. You are right. I'm not sure what the "what" is about though....

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    Yes they can. You are right. I'm not sure what the "what" is about though....
    I think the underhand belittling titles make him feel better about himself. Even though they are always completely irrelevant.
    -

  12. #12
    Member Hunt&FishAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Valley trash
    Posts
    2,316

    Default

    theres some good landlock chinook fisheries in western washington state, where some fish reach 25+ lbs. I have caught some really nice ones (9-10lbs) myself in coeurdelene lake and in the st.joe river. our farm is located on the st.joe just 3 miles upriver from st.maries, so we got a lot of time to fish it and the chain of lakes... coeurdelene, benewah and chatcolet lakes are so much fun to fish if you want variety.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •