Thread: New Savages

Default New Savages

Anyone have any experience with the new Savage rifles and the new smooth barrel nut? I have a line on a new stainless 30-06 with the new accu-stock. I'd like to convert it to .35 Whelen with a "drop-in" barrel available from one of the many that offer them. The only thing that scares me is that they changed the barrel nut from something I could easily get off to a smooth one. If it comes off easy the barrel swap is simple.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

From what I've read about them the barrel nut is supposed to be easier, no special wrench needed. I was looking at buying one in 7mm-08 for my 11yr old daughter. I liked what I read about the accustock.

Savage continually pushes the envelope. If you've watched the gun industry.....Savage are the ones responsible for changing the gun industry. For example, when Savage came out with the accutrigger, other manufacturer's payed closer attention to their horrible triggers. They didn't care about their triggers before....but when Savage made it consciously known to the Joe six pack rifle buyers of the importance of a good trigger.......that's when the other guys started changing things a bit. Now savage has a stouter stock........It's going to be shocking how accurate these rifles are going to be. Could they get any more accurate? Gotta love good old New England built rifles......now if only that kind of craftsmanship could rub off onto the New Yorker neighbors.......ahem......Kimber. Ruger have been a great company for building rifles in unique chamberings.......Savage needs to learn this lesson a bit and offer some more unique chamberings.

I have a pile of Rugers. I love their rugged reliability. They have never let me down.

I want to play with something different and stick in the 30-06 family. Today a 35 Whelen, maybe another in .338-06. The ability to order barrels and do it myself is definately a plus for the Savage family. I love the accu-trigger and thing their new stock will be a bonus for us that don't want to send their rifle off to one of the good synthetic stock builders.

I have an older Savage varmint rifle in 22.250 back when they built it on the long action. Terrible stock, terrible trigger that I smoothed up. Man o' man will that thing drive tacks. I've consistantly stomped varmint rifles of all brands with that cheap thing.

I think I will just buy the rifle and see what happens. If it's too tough to get apart I will just have another -06

I wish they would put sights on more than the Euro guns

If you like savage and like the idea of having a custom rifle then check out E. R. Shaw http://www.ershawbarrels.com/er_shaw_new_heritage.pdf

I actually don't want anything custom. I just a want a .35 Whelen in a Savage By buying a 30-06 Savage and going to one of the many drop-in barrel guys I can have one in an afternoon (once the barrel arrives)

e.r. shaw is one of those custom barrel guys. They are selling custom ordered rifles using the savage action fitted w/ their barrel. From what I have read they will put together some mighty impressive groups. I sent them an email to see if I could get a spec sheet w/ all of the options.