Thread: DVD players

Default DVD players

We are looking to put an under the counter DVD 10 inch player in the boat. I am not sure what to look for since these types all are plug ins (is that DC?) I need a 12VDC type is what Scot says and I am a bit at a loss. Help. Sqeex

Karen is that you? Welcome to the forum.

I think what you need to be looking for is a dvd player that comes with a 12 volt adapter. Might be hard to come buy in the under counter mode. Have Scott put in a 12 volt outlet for you near where you will put the dvd player. Then you just plug the dvd into the 12 volt outlet using the adapter. The other option is to buy an inverter. They are fairly cheap and you plug the inverter into the 12 volt outlet and the dvd player will plug into the inverter with the regular cord. Inverters(change dc to ac) come in different sizes so get one that will handle the watts for your dvd player or whatever else you may want to plug into it like a coffee pot, cell phone charger, laptop, etc...

Marvin
    "Ebbtide" 27 X 9 GlacierCraft
    MMSI#

Thank you and yes it is me. How did you know? The spastic question??? You have helped lots and it seems the boat is coming along. Karen

Karen,

I was planning on doing one up by the windshield but I think I am just going to do as Marvin mentioned and put in 12 volt outlets everywhere. That way I can use a portable and use it in the cuddy, on the dinette, galley, etc.

I am going to have an extra long speaker cable that I can plug into the stereo for better sound.

Best of luck. The boat is looking closer every time I stop by!

Derrick
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

I thought about adding one during our build process (we had plenty of time to think about it) but finally decided on the portable unit. We have 12 volt plugs placed through out in addition to AC power. A bigger screen would be nice, but I don't go out there to watch movies. Are you putting in a house battery bank? If not, I highly recommend it. Good luck.

Pete
    Last edited by spoiled one; 08-03-2009 at 11:50. Reason: Forgot something
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default dvd player for your boat

Karen when i had my boat built I had to go out and purchase a unit for my boat, Scott had not installed one before. I have a multiunit that play's DVD,CD,weather band AM/FM and IPOD hook-up. It is made by Jensen and it is a Marine enviroment unit. Take a look at www.ultimatepassage.com and then look for JENSEN brand. They may have several models. The unit I have play's on my 17" drop-down monitor for the DVD's and audio is in all four speakers (two inside & two outside).

This works great for us.

Pete's a fish -a-holic!

Carey

Why don't you look in to all of the various aftermarket automobile DVD set ups?
    My Yukon has a DVD on the ceiling and there are all kinds that mount on the ceiling or in the back of a headrest.

Obvoiusly they are already going to be 12v.

Just a thought, good luck.

Post DVD Player in your GC

Weíre having an A/C powered 22" LCD installed onto a hinged drop down configuration panel that's suspended above the galley with audio feed thru a 5 channel amplifier & controlled thru a Multimedia DVD receiver into overhead speakers & subwoofers to achieve the home theater style of music & video clarity {very close to true surround sound video & audio}.
    Weíll also have a generator to provide ample A/C power along with an inverter, not sure how your GC will be equipped. I'd highly encourage having a DC/AC inverter installed with house battery banks {6 volts AGMís}, itís a small additional investment for such a nice boat.
    Iím by no means an audio / video chip head, but do like home theater movie & audio clarity when I do take a break from catching fish, pulling shrimp & or crab pots, socking up the sun rays, getting wet in the rain, etc.. WE DONíT EVEN OWN ON OUR OWN BOAT YET & HAVE TWO FREEZERS ALMOST COMPLETELY FULL; PETE MUST HAVE A WAREHOUSE FULL OF SEAFOOD?
    Anyway, just my two cents on DVD players & electrical power for such a nice boat.

Mitch