Thread: Canon EOS 5D Mark II... Any hands on experience?

Default Canon EOS 5D Mark II... Any hands on experience?

Considering this purchase -- I have heard the video component is quite impressive (OK, so that was edited, for the board!)...
    Not that it wasn't from a reliable source, ... just looking for further input...

Canon EOS 5D Mark II link

Anyone here have hands on experience with this model?
    I have been a 'Nikon' shooter, since I retired my Kodak Brownie . . .well, you know what I mean, I didn't really have that top end model.

TIA-
    Doc

if you want it for the video mode then your money would be better spent on a good video camera....the video is HD (full 1080p I believe) so it's gonig to be stunning, assuming you have the computer/software to handle the file size and an HD TV to enjoy it on...lol....the depth of field is cake with the camera lens versus most handheld video cams...but for that much $$ the video cams will have a manual focus ring on 'em too.......

if you're looking for still photo info I'm your worst source.......point and shooter here...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

That is an awesome camera. But video is not the reason I would drop that kind of dough on a camera. Better to get a $300-500 fancy camcorder if that is the goal. The 5D is an amazing camera and being full frame, it is the choice of many serious landscape photographers. I would research this further at www.photo.net in the "Canon" section. Tons of knowledgable photographers there and many own the 5D. Post this question there and watch the replies fly in. Also, check out the "Nature" forum there also. Tons of activity on Photo.net.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

But...

If you need very shallow depth of field, or very high ISO that's still clean, it is perhaps the best deal out there in "video cameras."

I would agree though, the 5DII is primarily a really good still camera, that can be pressed into doing some high end video work.

The video on that is amazing... assuming you have the right equipment to compliment it.

Here is an example that blew me away when the camera first came out:

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/control...articleID=2326

Thumbs up

Thank you all for the input.
    Dang, that video clip makes me miss NYC!

Yes, I still want the 'still photo' option. I was rather bummed to find there wasn't a video function on my D-80.
    Not sure where I was led astray on that, either... Of course -- I bought it - without fully checking it out.

I am happy with my D-80, otherwise, however.

At the risk of hi-jacking my own thread:

I was also interested in the Optio W-80.

OPTIO W-80 Link

My local camera shop said they no longer carry the Pentax brand.
    Said since Pentax was bought by a 'filter company' that their service is virtually non-existant.

Any insight into that statement?

Again, thank you!

For the 3+ years the D80 has never mentioned or ever implied having video(assuming this is the Nikon you are talking about). Either your research was backwards or the people who sold it to you were excellent liars. The D90 was the first to offer video on the Nikon side and the 5D MKII was the first on the Canon side.

And as for stills with that Canon... you really shouldn't need to research much on it as it is at the top of its class.

Quote Originally Posted by RSKY BIZ View Post
    :

I was also interested in the Optio W-80.

My local camera shop said they no longer carry the Pentax brand.
    Said since Pentax was bought by a 'filter company' that their service is virtually non-existant.

Any insight into that statement?

Again, thank you!
    Sounds like BS to me. I just ordered a Pentax W60 for my wife. I have had the W20 for about three years and love it. Great cameras. I am not as familiar with the W80, but Pentax is a great company. I think your local camera shop was blowing smoke up your azz. Check out B&H Photo/Video website. They sell the Pentax cameras you speak of. Great place to buy from as well. A very trusted name.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Sounds like BS to me. I just ordered a Pentax W60 for my wife. I have had the W20 for about three years and love it. Great cameras. I am not as familiar with the W80, but Pentax is a great company. I think your local camera shop was blowing smoke up your azz. Check out B&H Photo/Video website. They sell the Pentax cameras you speak of. Great place to buy from as well. A very trusted name.
    So THAT's what I felt!

Seriously, I am not so concerned with the servicing for the Pentax. I have two of the earlier models and they have been great -- both at sea and around car racing events.

Just kind of interesting that there was no more Pentax ANYTHING in the store... and I now have to look elsewhere.

Yeah, the ol' shutter shop just ain't the same, since my 'camera guy' left there to sell bicycles!

So -- you workin' the night shift along with me tonite, Dan?

On duty man

Treat'em and street'em.

So far so good. Nothing in need of the chopper. Gives me time to research important stuff. Like flyfishing the Kenai, cameras, etc... ha ha ha...

Default Work Two Weeks; Take Two Weeks Off; Rinse, Repeat!!

Yup -- flying solo til 0700 here... now to catch up on documentation... arrrgh!

Got flights for September! Will secure RV in the AM!! Woo-Hoo!