Thread: It's unbearable

Default It's unbearable

That time has arrived. The weather is close enough to evaluate. I've got a tag in my pocket. The rifles are tuned. My gear is clean and ready to get dirty.

The season for me starts Monday and I've got a goat hunt planned with my friend, partner, and wife Kathleen. I love this lifestyle.

I need a good 3,000' push to get all the nerves settled.

Here's to a week or two of unsettled nervous anticipation.

Default thanks

for nuthin. You just set me off. I was cool, kind of relaxed, just taking it one day at a time. Now you went and ruined it. Heart rates up, I'm nervous, excited. Now I feel like I am out of time. I'm having a panic attack.
    Oh well, guess if the wife can't handle me until next weekend she has options. The first will be to kick me out in the garage with the dogs.
    I went and picked up all my tags. Or I thought so. I forgot the first set of tags I am going to need. The ones for sheep. Go figure.
    Good luck, have fun, be safe.

I was ready for deer tommrow but its to hot for me to think about going.

Default me 3

It's starting to kill me, 27 days till i'm back in the great state of Alaska!!! Look out Moose here I come.........Wish everyone the best of luck and I hope that God is watching over all the members and that everyone comes home safe.

Yup, I hear you guys.... headed up to the Brooks next saturday with my ol huntin buddy silvertipgriz for a rifle walk in sheep hunt. Neither of us have been in the Brooks before. We have an idea of where we want to go but will see how it pans out when we get there. Lookin forward to a new adventure and to pitchin the new Hilleberg in the Brooks for it's maiden voyage!

Good luck in the Brooks Snyd, take lotsa pictures. Has the smoke around FBKS had an impact on your training in the runup to the hunt?

Steady, boys, steady.......Breathe deeply, now let it go......OK, check that rifle again, and go over yer gear again.... Anything to pass the time now....

Good luck!
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I finally drew my first sheep tag after 16 previous attempts and I can't hunt until the 26th of August. Luckily my partner is going the second week of the season so I get to tag along and play spotter/packer. I can hardly contain myself after hearing some reports from some guys that hunted there last year. Should be a great hunt, it's been a long time since i've had sheep meat. Good luck to all you guys this season, fill the freezers with meat and those walls with antlers,skulls, and hides!!

Quote Originally Posted by mdhunter View Post
    Good luck in the Brooks Snyd, take lotsa pictures. Has the smoke around FBKS had an impact on your training in the runup to the hunt?
    You know, it has off and on but not too much and I did get an early start this year. A couple times when it was real thick I'd just ride my stationary bike and/or squat. I can do both at the house so that helps. It's been real bad the past few days but monday was good and a few of us from the forums made it out. Here's me, a 49 year old hauling 75-80lbs trying to keep up with 23 year old bohntr21 who was hauling 88lbs he said and man, I think he was leaving a vapor trail humping it up that hill! I was hot on his heals though If it's not too bad we'll hit it in the morning once again.

What range are you hunting this year?

I just changed jobs so no Alaska trip for me this September...I'll have to live vicariously through all of you. I'm already scheming on where to hunt next September.

I never get to sheep hunt at any case, I'm always after moose and bou. I have the utmost respect for all you sheep guys and gals, it takes a lot of commitment and desire to train through the dark cold months in preparation for the early August adventure! I wish all of you safe travels, fresh mountain air, and memories to last a lifetime, whether you bag one or not.

Quote Originally Posted by mdhunter View Post
    I just changed jobs so no Alaska trip for me this September...I'll have to live vicariously through all of you. I'm already scheming on where to hunt next September.

I never get to sheep hunt at any case, I'm always after moose and bou. I have the utmost respect for all you sheep guys and gals, it takes a lot of commitment and desire to train through the dark cold months in preparation for the early August adventure! I wish all of you safe travels, fresh mountain air, and memories to last a lifetime, whether you bag one or not.
    You could always put in for the DC001 permit and have a sheep hunt for caribou.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by garnede View Post
    You could always put in for the DC001 permit and have a sheep hunt for caribou.
    Great point G!

Default Anticipation!

A hunt only lasts a few days, however, for a real hunter the anticipation starts for the "next one" as soon as the one your on ends!
    I am glad to see, and read, about so many that truly love and live for the outdoors. I am glad many others know what its like to push yourself "too" far and still have a smile on your face as you walk back half frozen, soaking wet, on legs of jelly and never pulled the trigger that day - yet the heart is full as you challenged yourself one more time.
    Good Luck Bighorse - while you head out Monday I will be mowing as that has become an every 3 day job here in IL this summer. Although tomorrow our squirrel season opens and while you may be worried about bears, I could be wondering if my 22 is the right choice to stop a charging Fox Squirrel!

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    You know, it has off and on but not too much and I did get an early start this year. A couple times when it was real thick I'd just ride my stationary bike and/or squat. I can do both at the house so that helps. It's been real bad the past few days but monday was good and a few of us from the forums made it out. Here's me, a 49 year old hauling 75-80lbs trying to keep up with 23 year old bohntr21 who was hauling 88lbs he said and man, I think he was leaving a vapor trail humping it up that hill! I was hot on his heals though If it's not too bad we'll hit it in the morning once again.

What range are you hunting this year?

THE ALASKA RANGE!!!! I did the Brooks last year, You should do well in the Brooks, There's good pickens in there if your willing to push through into some good areas. I'll be bummed if I don't score, but I'll give it my best, good luck to all going affield...be safe!

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    THE ALASKA RANGE!!!! I did the Brooks last year, You should do well in the Brooks, There's good pickens in there if your willing to push through into some good areas. I'll be bummed if I don't score, but I'll give it my best, good luck to all going affield...be safe!
    Excellent. I've been in the AK Range twice and the Wrangels twice. And now the Brooks.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    There's good pickens in there if your willing to push through into some good areas.
    That's the key isn't it! Trying to find those areas. This will be one big scouting trip for us being first time Brooksers... is that a word? hmm, I guess it is now Good luck to you.

Default Sheephunters

Like to see pics of your camp set up while affield...just curious, to see different set-ups and how good some of you got it. Might give me ideas of what I can do better next time.

Default Brooks too

I'm heading into the Brooks too. I've got a friend in Coldfoot thats dropping us off with plane and then we'll hike out. He and the Bio have seen some sheep in the area we are heading into so I'm optimistic before even seeing em. We'll see though. The mountains have a way of making things difficult. I hope the fires don't screw things up for us.

I talked to the bio here in Sitka yesterday not 30 minutes after getting back from arial goat survey and he gave me the skinny on the current goat patterns. The bad news is they are hot and sticking to the tippy tops of the highest peaks we got here. The good news is they are dense in an area where I can access. I think a four day goat hunt should be a good primer for sheep.

Good luck everyone. I hope the clouds stay high and the wind lays smokless in your face.

Well I was cool and collected w/ 375 days left to plan.... Then the boss called...again... The guy who I was supposed to cover for next rotation IS going to make it now so I am suddenly headed home in 30 days!!! SO now I am harrassing internet vendors w/ questions and orders to get my new gear in on time. Working absessively w/ Dan McHale to get my new Super INEX pack done in time. I have my plane ticket booked for Kodiak the first week of August and my wife just went by ADF&G in Palmer to have them print up my Goat tag.
    Talk about nervous! I have been doing a LOT of walking and a little bit of packing but it is all on flat land in the heat so not as helpful as I would like...
    So I am flat out FREAKING out right now! I am also trying to stuff in a short sheep hunt in the Talkeetnas if I can pull it off. A quick over night alpine bear hunt is on the list and I am hoping to fill in every spare minute w/ chasing Moose around at our little honey hole in 14A. It should be my 7y/o first time out chasing moose w/ me so I need to get him geared up and ready to go as well.

SO MUCH TO DO!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I have my plane ticket booked for Kodiak the first week of August and my wife just went by ADF&G in Palmer to have them print up my Goat tag.
    Well you may be a bit early for the goat hunt then. I need to get over to ADF&G and get my goat permit printed up again.....as I lost mine.