Thread: Primer/bullet sealants?

Default Primer/bullet sealants?

anyone out there use a primer and bullet sealant? I've never used them but find it to be a decent idea considering all the rain we get during hunting season.........................

Never seen a need to venture into this area. I can't recall any centerfire misfire by myself or anyone in my family in the last 30 years or so and we shoot only our reloads in our centerfires. Have hunted in down pours for days and never had any ill effects from it except maybe some rust on the rifles on occassion.
    Tennessee

To me it's only an issue if I were planning to stash the ammo for years. Exposure to liquid water short term should not affect well loaded ammo. Itís the long term exposure to water vapor or humidity combined with temperature and barometric pressure changes that can cause moisture to get in the round. My Dad blew the snot out of an M1 Garand in the 80s with moisture damaged WWII surplus 30-06 ammo, the stick powder inside some of the rounds had become like a dirt clod.

The military specs it on all ammo because they donít know how long it will be sitting or in what environment. Like they are with crimped primers, many of the guns the ammo will be shot in donít need crimped primers but if they are all crimped then a potential problem is avoided for a little money up front. I have heard of using ladies nail polish to seal primers and bullets, but never tried in. Midway has dedicated sealant, but I never used it either.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default Been there...

...done that, and won't be doing it again. I was worried about wet hunts on the islands outside Cordova, so I loaded a bunch of ammo with primer sealant and bullet sealant. Turns outs if you get even a little sloppy with the lacquer, it can actually creep into the primer cup and soak the charge. A solution to a non-existent problem actually created a problem. As I've never had a load clump even slightly, even with ball powder, I'll not waste the time again.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Nut View Post
    ...done that, and won't be doing it again. I was worried about wet hunts on the islands outside Cordova, so I loaded a bunch of ammo with primer sealant and bullet sealant. Turns outs if you get even a little sloppy with the lacquer, it can actually creep into the primer cup and soak the charge. A solution to a non-existent problem actually created a problem. As I've never had a load clump even slightly, even with ball powder, I'll not waste the time again.
    It soaked between the primer and primer pocket wall on you? What was the sealant you used?
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

now my brother he uses diff color of nail polish on the primers after sealing them with the bullet and primer sealer ..each color is for a diff load of the rifle round that they used in the rifles..
    he does not over do and its a quick brush of the stuff that really light coat and put under a fan to quick dry the sealer stuff ..

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

One time ago, I got me some of that "George & Roy's" Custom PRIMER SEALANT.

I wasn't able to apply it evenly, so I gave up on it.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

larry just puts a thin layer of the primer sealer stuff ..then under a fan to quick dry and then a thin layer of nail polish to mark the round for want it for ..the under the fan to quick dry..

he has a rack of wood that he drill out to sit the round upside down in then put them under the fan in groups of 20,.yards..

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    It soaked between the primer and primer pocket wall on you? What was the sealant you used?
    George and Roy's primer sealant. I've tried to use it on the outside of a loaded round, but it seemed to either run and dry across the center of the primer, or it didn't fill all the way around the primer edge. A few of the loads that ran across the primer face turned hard and gooey, almost like pine sap, and I figure that's got to be hard to ignite in the winter when it's frozen, so I started lightly coating the edges of the primers before I seated them. I had great coverage with pretty blue edges around each of my primers, but that's when I started getting the misfires. Gave up on the stuff and haven't had a problem since.

Default primer sealants

Herter's and another outfit or two used to sell the stuff. I've had some samples I picked at the Shot Show years ago and played with it but never saw much difference.

Some of the commerical stuff is also sealed. I guess if you soak your gun in oil it could be an issue. I've used it on hunting ammo but never saw any difference one way or another.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Great info! If it wasnt for savvy, experienced folks from this forum with objective experience........I would have wasted a few dollars of money on something that makes little difference. Thanks everyone.......for saving me a head ache that you already experienced. That's why I like levers/w hammers on my rifle......no fire? Pull the hammer again! If not........shuck the lever in a halfa second and fire another one!

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Nut View Post
    A solution to a non-existent problem . . .
    Pretty much sumed it up right there . . .

Default Hmmm..

I am no expert, and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express, but for shorter term sealant couldn't you use wax?
    Bowstring stick wax would probably work good. Just smear it on.