Thread: Hidden Lake

Default Hidden Lake

I hear nice things about Hidden Lake Campground. I have not been there yet and had a question before going.

How large of a boat can be used on the lake? How's the fishing? How far is it from a launch site on Skilak?

I have a Tolman boat. It is fairly shallow draft and 24' long. I use it a lot at Seward and it is great to camp on. Is it to large for Hidden Lake? I am curious before I pull it all that way and discover it isn't suited for the area.

Your boat will work fine on Hidden lake. The lake has a lot of deep water with only a few shallow spots. As far as I know, there is no size or motor limit, I have seen a 26' cruiser out there. My boat has a 115 and the F&G has never said a thing. The campground is very nice, but there are no hook-ups. The upper skilak launch is maybe 5 miles away.

Hidden has an awesome campground. The boat launch will handle nearly anything you could put in the ocean. It's even set on a roundabout so that it's one of the most logical and easy to use boat launches around. I've launched 24' Vee inlet boats there many times. No problems at all. And the lake is plenty large enough and deep enough to run with a bigger boat. In fact, as you run up the lake from the launch you'll see bare rock cliffs all the way to the water on the left. I've had the bow of the boat in contact with the cliff face and the transom-mount depth sounder is showing something like 80 feet of water IIRC. It's a very deep lake. It can also kick up pretty nasty and quickly in the afternoons, so having a bigger boat is a good thing.

The closer Skilak launch isn't all that far away. Perhaps 5 miles on the loop road.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Thanks to all for the info. Is this area getting any of the rain and flooding like Seward. Does the Skilak glacier release effect this area or just the rivers. Sorry for all the questions but there is a lot of informed readers here. Thanks again, thinking I may make a run this weekend.

Default No problem for Hidden

Lake is big and a watershed that leads INTO Skilak, not viceversa. Your boat will be just fine on it. It's a clear lake. There's a long bay about halfway up on the left (west?) side where you could anchor up for the evening. You'll probably see blackies and moose.

Are ATVs allowed on the gravel road down there?

I don't think so. I didn't see any over 9 days down there. I did see lots of bear batting the spawning reds
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

It's been a while since I've been down there and would like to take a nice leisurely drive on the quads, taking in the sights but I don't want to haul them all the way from Anchorage only to not be able to take the ride or do it and get in trouble.

Even without the machines, Hidden Lake still sounds like a good spot to pitch a tent.

We'll be back there Friday through Monday this weekend. If I can get into Skyview 9, I'll be there.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Default No ATVs

No ATVs in the Skilak Loop area. You could call the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge office in Soldotna.(907) 262-7021 for more info on where you could ride. Hidden lake campground is paved all the way through, lots of hiking trails around the area. My wife and I got married up there last August. A black bear killed another campers dog during the ceremony. I have seen lots of them in that area, but there is no hunting on the loop either.