Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what do you guys think of this idea..

Default what do you guys think of this idea..

larry my brother has a system that seam to be a little an--- at times when comeing to reloading the rifle and pistol round that they use for hunting in the backcountry ,..

each bullet wieght gets it own color of nail polish and the own color mtm stowage box for that round weight..

for a each bullet wieght the stowage box gets a 3-x-5.sized card with all the info on it..
    bullet wieght
    powder charge
    primer
    game animal to be used on
    round ballistic performce out to max yards
    nail polish color
    etc etc etc

this is his color code boxs for diff 30-06-ammo

clear color ammo box mean small game load
    blue color ammo box means dear game load
    green color ammo box means elk game load
    red color ammo box mean bear load
    brown color ammo box means moose load

he has a color code set up for pistol ammo also that they carrie for the 44,mag handguns..

he telling me that color code system work very well when getting ammo out of the stowage rack..

and since iam starting back into reloading it best to follow a basic set up with a simple to follow reloading plan for each round ..

i was watching him reload last night and this was the talks was about not mixing diff bullets over a powder charge in the case..
    i do know this but it like iam going back to school at times with my brother..
    i was thinking of takeing the system and useing it ..

I do everything but the color thing and if I was not color blind I would do that also, kinda pointless if ya can't tell red from green.

Sounds like he will be a good mentor if the being brothers thing don't get in the way.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default IF....

If I shot different loads in individual rifles it would be a great system.

Personally, I'm pretty boring when it comes to loading for my two rifles. I have 1 load for each. Been shooting the same load in my 308 for 20 years give or take a little.

I'll try other loads in the "off season" and they go in seperate boxes with index cards in the box.

But when it comes to game time... there's nothing to think about other than pulling the trigger.

If you're carrying different loads, that sounds like a dandy way to keep them seperate

i love my brother but times he can be a really a----- at times about things,,
    but he reloads for four rifles in the house that all in 30-06 cal for that the only rifles that they own for hunting ..and pistol cal of 44 mag and 45.acp and 38.special cal ..
    so i understand the color boxs for ammo..
    but at times it like going back to school and i hated school ...

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

If he's got all those different loads for the same rifle, for which one does he have it sighted in for? Or, does he re-sight each time he uses a particular load.

I try to have only one load for each rifle. Sometimes, I have two, that will impact the same place at 100 yards, or very close.

I use color coding for lotsa things. Examples, boxes for 7x57 are red, 7mm Mag. is Blue, 280 Rem. is Smoke.

If I test loads with different charges, I code the bullets for the test rounds with Red, Green, Black, or Blue Sharpie pins, and record so I can tell rounds in the same box apart. They are grouped, but this makes sure which load is which.

The loading info/data is taped to each box.

I also use a lot of stickys, tags, etc. to keep track of which step brass in in, or which powder is in a measure, cup, or even in a trickler.

Bottom Line is,,, use whatever works for you. It may not be exactly like your brother does it, but I'd say he's on the right track. He probably enjoys handloading, and is wise enough to keep close track of things.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

he has the rifle scope sighted in at a range for the basic range of 100 yards mark for each round that he handloader ..
    he shot his handloader in the diff bullets wieghts so he knows what the bullets will do out to the 400.rd mark in the diff bullets wieght that he handloads

i use a bore sighter tool to check the scope

Default Coding ammo

Am working on some loads and have to keep them together but still know which is which. Use a Sharpie and mark the head stamp. Remington/Peters cases; mark through the R for one load, the dash for another, the P for a third, etc, etc. Works so far.

That's the craziest thing I've ever heard of.. Red is for lion not bear, grey is for bear. How could that get so screwed up!?

Actually it all seems perfectly normal to me, I do that and I'm normal, aren't I Doc, you said I was normal, didn't you?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    I do everything but the color thing and if I was not color blind I would do that also, kinda pointless if ya can't tell red from green.

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]
    Excuse me for asking, but I'm wondering about this.

If you can't tell Red from Green, what color are you seeing for both? Red, or Green?

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Excuse me for asking, but I'm wondering about this.

If you can't tell Red from Green, what color are you seeing for both? Red, or Green?

Smitty of the North
    I get asked this all the time so donít worry about it, your puzzlement is normal.

I don't know what to call it, red, green, gray?? I can see shades just canít tell most red shades from most green shades to name them right, they look very similar to me. Now on traffic lights the green looks like a white light shining through a lightly smoked lens, red and yellow both look red with the yellow a bit brighter side by side. From this I think maybe I just donít see green at all so green paint looks a shade of red maybe. My Grandpa was full color blind and to him everything was shades of gray, Iím just red/green color blind so I see blue and yellow fine if not mixed with red or green.

The trade off is I have better low light vision. Eyes have rod and cone receptors, the cones are for color and rods for low light, color blind people have more rods and less cones. The wife says I see like a cat at night, itís got to be a very dark night before I mess with a flashlight. Grandpa used to go look at the rose bushes just after dark because he said he could see some pretty colors in the flowers then. I think maybe in the dim light his extra rods didnít completely droned out his few cones, but itís just a guess.

If we could trade eyes for a day it would answer a bunch of questions for us both.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by henry2 View Post
    i love my brother but times he can be a really a----- at times about things,,
    but he reloads for four rifles in the house that all in 30-06 cal for that the only rifles that they own for hunting ..and pistol cal of 44 mag and 45.acp and 38.special cal ..
    so i understand the color boxs for ammo..
    but at times it like going back to school and i hated school ...
    thanks for sharing. this is an interesting concept, that may "take off" with many other handloaders.

i sight in all my (big game) rifles for the same zero regardless of load, that way there is no question about poi in the field.
    happy trails.
    jh

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    I get asked this all the time so donít worry about it, your puzzlement is normal.

I don't know what to call it, red, green, gray?? I can see shades just canít tell most red shades from most green shades to name them right, they look very similar to me. Now on traffic lights the green looks like a white light shining through a lightly smoked lens, red and yellow both look red with the yellow a bit brighter side by side. From this I think maybe I just donít see green at all so green paint looks a shade of red maybe. My Grandpa was full color blind and to him everything was shades of gray, Iím just red/green color blind so I see blue and yellow fine if not mixed with red or green.

The trade off is I have better low light vision. Eyes have rod and cone receptors, the cones are for color and rods for low light, color blind people have more rods and less cones. The wife says I see like a cat at night, itís got to be a very dark night before I mess with a flashlight. Grandpa used to go look at the rose bushes just after dark because he said he could see some pretty colors in the flowers then. I think maybe in the dim light his extra rods didnít completely droned out his few cones, but itís just a guess.

If we could trade eyes for a day it would answer a bunch of questions for us both.
    Thanks, that's interesting. I didn't know all that.

All I know, is that I'm NOT color blind, because I couldn't of had the job I had if I was.

We had to use the color code for wiring. (Blue, Orange, Green, Brown, Slate.)

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

All I know, is that I'm NOT color blind, because I couldn't of had the job I had if I was.

Smitty of the North
    Yup, I have missed out on some jobs because I'm color blind but it can also go the other way. One of my uncles in the Marines in WWII was loaned to the Army Air corps to look for camo netting from the air because he was color blind. If camo fools a color blind person itís some dang good camo since we see shapes more than colors.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Smitty of the North
    So you can read a resistor color code? B,B,R,O,Y,G,B,V,G,W GSN

Andy can you see this?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post

Andy can you see this?
    I remember that as:

Bad - black
    Boys - brown
    Rape - red
    Our - orange
    Young - yellow
    Girls - green
    But - blue
    Violet - violet
    Gives - gray
    Willingly - white

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post

Andy can you see this?
    Sure can, looks gray to me so I bet you call it green or red.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I know that sounds a bit excessive, but there are some instances where doing a better job documenting what you've loaded is worth the effort. Lets say you're on a hunt and happen to have two of those rifles and two different boxes of ammo. Somehow those two boxes of ammo get dropped, the ammo falls out and gets mixed and suddenly you aren't sure which is which? Or lets say you loaded up some ammo, stick it on a shelf and a couple years later you scratch your head as to exactly what the load is?

That said I'm simple minded and like simplicity for reloading. Find one good bullet and load that will work for the game animals you hunt, and use it for everything. That way you'll know the trajectory of the round and won't have to be adjusting the scope or doing mental gymnastics for where the bullet will hit.

my brother is trying to get the us optics scope company to build him a scope of his dreams
    the scope is a ss3-17-model with dual side bdc rings set up on the scope sides for use with the main two loads that he used for deer and other sized game and big game and long distance shooting with a custom lighted scope reticle system for useing the loads ..
    with each knob on the side of the scope a head of the scope windage and parallax knobs on the scope body..

tbey told him that if they can get to work they will build it for him

AD:
    Thanks for another interesting Tid-Bit.

Murphy:
    Yes, I learned the resister color code, but can't recall ever having to use it, unlike the wiring color code which I used almost daily.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast