Thread: Umiat Closure

Maupin, OR

Default Umiat Closure

According to, the camp at Umiat will be closing mid August. Anyone have any additional details on why that is happening? Seemed to me like there was a lot of oil activity in the region and it was a busy place.

I think they lost the contract on it or let it expire. I was there 2 years ago and they had just changed hands and were swapping out folks and gear.

North Pole, Alaska, United States

Default This Sucks

I work out of Umiat at least one week a month and it really puts us in a bind because we relied on them for power and Jet A. I think they lost money on it the last two years. I think they are going to keep it though and maybe reopen in the winter or when companies decide to do more drilling. I heard about possible gas field development in the future there too. I'll see what happens when I'm up there in late Aug.

I went out there a few times last winter and this spring. I thought they were doing great according to the sign out there that said Future Home of Umiat Walmart!

I heard some rumors about ownership change, but didn't catch the full story. Man I love that country out there, I'd love to spend a couple months in the fall there.