Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Most efficienct Tow Vehicle

Default Most efficienct Tow Vehicle

I searched the forum and could not find where else this may fit. Hope it doesn't get booted off.

I am looking on buying a used truck to tow my Hewescraft 240 Alaskan and save wear and tear on my Expedition which does fine but pretty much maxed out with a weight distribution system. Will be towing from Valley to Seward, Homer and Valdez.

Looking on info on gas vs deisel, what motors are durable (which ones to stay away from) and fuel economy. Boat weighs 7500 lbs but would like capacity to tow at least 10000 pounds. I want to add an extra 100 gallon tank in the truck bed due to tired of paying high fuel prices due to taxes on Kenai Peninsula. Any suggestions?

Mark
    Last edited by chico99645; 07-31-2009 at 11:32. Reason: add info

cummins....
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

If you're gonna hit Turnagain pass or the Haul road, I recommend a Diesel for sure, 3/4 ton minimum w/ air bags. I took the toyota tundra down dipnettin, 3rd stretch of incline headin sounth in Turny, dude with a cummins, 6" lift, fullsize camper and a 20ish ft jetboat spanked my ASS. There's just no comparison for the towing power and torque.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    dude with a cummins, 6" lift, fullsize camper and a 20ish ft jetboat spanked my ASS. There's just no comparison for the towing power and torque.
    sounds like it couldda been me...lol.....

if $$ is a real deciding factor for you Chico then the diesel will never pencil out...a gasser is cheaper in the short and long run....so if money is the main factor then gasser for sure, if a tow rig to get the job done well then diesel is your choice...but any heavy truck will tow like a dream compared to your expedition...

if you want to tow 10000# then you'd be grossing over 17,000#...that'd be a workout in most gassers....they'd get the job done but I'd go with the diesel....all 3 make good trucks these days (soon to be 4) so you'd be happy with any of 'em.....but only one of them is rated a 'medium' duty motor instead of a 'light' duty one......
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Couldn't agree with TJM more. Cummins baby.

I tow with a gaser and it does fine. Eats the gas though when towing. Diesel may be more expensive but when it comes to towing nothing beats em.

I used to tow my 22' Glasply with a chevy with a 5.7 vortec in it, coming up the hill out of Homer I would be lucky to be doing 35 mph when I got to the top of the hill, and I would burn almost a whole tank of gas. Now I have a duramax diesel, it has a smaller tank and I have over a quarter tank left when I get home, and going up that hill I can accellerate to over 65mph if I wanted to, So IMO go with a diesel.

Also think about getting the power to the ground meaning transmission. I own a duramax and love it. The Allison Tranny was the main factor for me. I love that transmission. An auto the feels like a manual. Cummins I feel is the best diesel motor on the market.

Default Plan B

I have a 2003 Chevy - Duramax - Allison and it pulls my 9,000 lb boat just fine, you will find that there is a lot of wear & tear on the equipment. I haulled for 3 years but now I store the boat in Seward and get 19 mpg in the truck, going faster and have a less stressful drive. I think that Storm Chasers out towards Lowell pt has inexpensive monthly rates. I park downtown and that is $107.00 per month.

Just a thought

Default Cummins

I have pulled various trailers all over the USA and Canada. If you are worried about it being easy on your truck, or having the power to climb those pesky hills then go with a diesel. As TJM said earlier, if you are just looking at the money aspect then the diesel will never pencil out over the normal life of the truck. That being said if you keep it for along time then you may come out ahead. The last truck I owned was a 97 Ford with the powerstroke and it had over 600,000 miles on it when I sold it. Bought a Dodge with a cummins and a manual tranny and haven't looked back. Can easily hall a trailer at over 20,000 lbs and still pull away from gassers with half the weight.

Default my $.02

For proven long engine life you have the dodge with cummins and Ford with the 7.3L diesel. I know for a fact that the weak point of a 7.3L Ford is the tranny. Not bad trannys, but they are the weak point of that truck. $3500-$4000 makes them bulletproof. have to talk to someone else about the dodges. Both makers have their own "issues" as does all the rest. Nothing wrong with the duramax. Haven't been around them enough to know how many 750K+ milers there are out there. I will say that if you're a chevy man.... the ONLY diesel they made that's worth anything is the Duramax. The rest are crap.

Want to talk Ford Diesel.... call Ron @ Different Strokes here in Anchorage.

If the truck is going to be a daily driver with occasional trips a couple of times a month in the summer hauling the boat..... I'd stick with a gas motor. It'll save you $ in the long run. Gas is cheaper (why??) and routine maintenance on a gas motor is less expensive.

Yes, I'll admit it's pretty cool to weld everyone's doors shut running up the hills while loaded to the gills.... but it does come at a cost. $120 to $150 for fluids and filters every 3 months/3K miles. I know, I know .... manufacture recomendations on my 6.0 is 7500 miles...... don't believe it!!!

My bone stock 6.0L Ford gets 14mpg no matter what I ask of her. unloaded during the week running to work and home or loaded with a monster cabover camper hauling a 24' kingfisher full of gas (cuz it's cheaper in town) and not being "THAT" guy holding up traffic OR pushing snow all night in the winter.... I get 14 mpg. The gassers (can) get better mileage unloaded. But load them down and you're looking at 6 to 8 mpg (so I'm told).

I'd compare costs between the two and go from there. I'm not brand loyal, I bought the Ford cuz I got a smokin deal on it, went with diesel cuz it saves me money when I'm workin it hard (pretty much all year long).

That's a lot for 2 cents.... but I've never been known for not having something to say. HA

What about fords V10??? We've had ours for 9 years exclusively towing a 6500 pound boat and a 2-3k pound camper. Over 95,000 miles on it and its just now starting to hint it might be getting tired. Only major repair was a center U joint that snapped going up turnigan pass.

Thanks for the info guys. Lots of great knowledge as I had none before about deisels. I think I will look into a Used Deisel with 100000 miles or less as I only plan to tow and stay with the boat. I already store my boat in Seward for the summer, but would like to make a day trip or so to Homer when Seward WX sucks or take it to Valdez once in a while for change of scenery but not brave enough yet to make the trip from Seward to Valdez by water. Went to Homer this spring and was sweating bullets getting back up that hill, and wouldn't even dare try Thompson pass with the Expedition. Will surf the classifieds until one comes along.

Thanks Again
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by griff View Post
    What about fords V10??? We've had ours for 9 years exclusively towing a 6500 pound boat and a 2-3k pound camper. Over 95,000 miles on it and its just now starting to hint it might be getting tired. Only major repair was a center U joint that snapped going up turnigan pass.
    I had a 2001 Excursion with the V10 and thought it towed great and was very reliable. Never had any issues towing over Thompsons pass or any other pass for that matter.

Just thought I'd add my piece..... I'm all for the diesels (my dream truck would be the duramax/allison) but like others said they never pan out if your wanting to save money. I picked up a gas 3/4 ton GMC with the 6.0L and six speed tranny. I love the transmission, I don't think there is another tranny out there in a gasser that compares. Now I bought this truck new in 2007 and I haven't test drove anything since so don't eat me up on that statement. All I know is I tested them all in 07 and nothing compared. For a couple/three trips a month towing the boat it does everything I want it to. I get an honest 17mpg on the highway which I was way impressed with and I get 9mpg when towing my boat. Total boat and trailer weight is close to 10,000lbs. Homer hill..... If I want to she will just hit 60-65mph working real hard but it will do it. I've only done that once just to see. Way better than my 1/2 ton single cab dodge with the 360. The best it would do was 45mph and burned way more gas. I used to have to stop at the bridge in Kasilof to get gas. Now I can cruise from Soldotna to Homer and back with a little gas to spare.

Default Diesel

For sure.
    This might sound crazy but I pull our 26' Alaskan Hewescraft with our motor home and get pretty decent mileage considering. It's nice to be able to stay a week fishing in Homer (four boys) without pitching a tent. The kids can play cards at the table and find a bed if they are tired. Yeah I go pretty slow up Turnagain and other hills, but it pulls 65 no problem otherwise. The weight of the motorhome actually handles the boat weight better than my F350. (exact same motor and year). If I had a gas engine I don't think I could do it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

You don't put gasoline in a dozer.

Diesels will thump on through.

They cost more but if you want to throw some extra dough at setting cruise control, diesel is the only way to go.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Another vote for diesel. While the diesel might cost more, it will save you on fuel when hauling. A gasser with a big load will be getting single digit mileage, the diesel will be getting much better mileage.

To me it's also a safety factor. If you have a rig that can't make it up the hills at freeway speed, you're holding up traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    I searched the forum and could not find where else this may fit. Hope it doesn't get booted off.

I am looking on buying a used truck to tow my Hewescraft 240 Alaskan and save wear and tear on my Expedition which does fine but pretty much maxed out with a weight distribution system. Will be towing from Valley to Seward, Homer and Valdez.

Looking on info on gas vs deisel, what motors are durable (which ones to stay away from) and fuel economy. Boat weighs 7500 lbs but would like capacity to tow at least 10000 pounds. I want to add an extra 100 gallon tank in the truck bed due to tired of paying high fuel prices due to taxes on Kenai Peninsula. Any suggestions?

Mark

Book specs list that boat at just about 3,000#. Do you have 4K worth of stuff in it? Half ton truck should pull this all day long...I`m confused.

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    Book specs list that boat at just about 3,000#. Do you have 4K worth of stuff in it? Half ton truck should pull this all day long...I`m confused.

That's boat alone I believe. Not including gas, otors,gear and trailer.

I have a 2007 GMC 2500HD with the 6.0L/Allison combo and am very happy with it. Diesel is nice but I prefer the gassers. I have heard negative things about the 5.3L but don't have first hand experience with them. Either way a 3/4 ton should be minimum.
    Former A.F Staff Sergeant

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast