Thread: Fishing the Iditarod river.......

Default Fishing the Iditarod river.......

Hello everyone,

This will be my first post here.

My father in-law and I are doing a float hunt for moose down the Iditarod River in Sept-Oct time frame. Has anyone here fished that river or any in the same area? In my research the little info I have found is that the river holds pike and grayling that time of year..... is that accurate???? I know Pike and Grayling will eat just about anything that you hang in front of them but are there any preferred flies/lures that you suggest taking? How about techniques for fishing those waters?

Thanks in advance for all you help.

Welcome to the forum

I don't know jack about that river, but fishing for grayling and pike with the same gear is going to present some challenges. The flies that would attract pike may very well be inappropriate for grayling. Maybe a two rod set up is needed. Perhaps a 4 wt and 8 wt. One with big gaudy streamers and top water attractors for pike, and some #4-6 beadhead olive wooly buggers and such for the grayling. Good thread here a few days back about grayling flies. Hopefully others will have some more pertinent info for you. Glad to have you on the forum, post, and post often.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Sorry for the confusion.....

I will be bringing along 8-9 wt for pike and 4-5 wt for the grayling maybe even some spinning gear (don't tell anyone)

I just can't find any info on that river so not sure what my plan of attack will be.

Thanks for the info though.... do you know of any guides in that area?