Thread: Alaskan Bowhunters Assoc.

Default Alaskan Bowhunters Assoc.

Are they worth the membership?
    Are they the "only game in town"?

Thanks.

Thumbs down aba

No.
    Yes, but still no.

Ouch Milo. Please Pm and let me know what you don't like.

GR, there are other org around here are a few SCI, Rocky mt Elk, FNAWS, I think there is still a moose org but I'm not to sure if it's running. Duck unlimited, ETC.
    Most of these have banquets during the winter month including use in March.
    Please stop by our web site to get more info on us. and feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
    http://www.akbowhunters.com/
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I also say no to the Anchorage Bowhunters Association.

There is/was a trad group in anchortown, and Golden North Archery Association that is slowing slipping backwards here in fairbanks. This state lacks organization in a big kind of way!

Default No Way

I have to say no as well. it would take me all day to type up the reasons why, it's a long list.

Question Confused...

I asked about the Alaskan Bowhunters Assoc. not the Anchorage Bowhunters.
    Is this a well deserved slip?

Gary,
    Is there a periodic publication (magazine) put out by the ABA with the membership?

Quote Originally Posted by GR View Post
    I asked about the Alaskan Bowhunters Assoc. not the Anchorage Bowhunters.
    Is this a well deserved slip?

Gary,
    Is there a periodic publication (magazine) put out by the ABA with the membership?

Funny you ask. We just finished up a magazine that will come out soon to all members. We put out a couple magazines a year IE one a quarter.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

GR,

It's one and the same. You'll understand over time. I applaud Paige for all the hard work and dedication over the past couple years. But to date I will not donate money to this group.

Hi Guys,
    Thanks for the kudos above. The ABA does mean alot to me and I try to work hard at it. But, what could be done to change your mind? Can any organization make everybody happy? I have been through it all over the last 12 years I have been on board. We are the Anchorage Bowhunters, we cater to the wheel shooter and hate trad shooters, we have closed door meetings to do what we want and I can go on and on. Bottom line is that we are a board, if you don't like what we are doing join us. This election period we have a South East director, Kenai director, and two director at large positions open. Or call into the monthly meeting held on the 2nd Wed of each month, 1-800-315-6338 and tell us how we are screwing up. As of last month we are partially responsible, along with the Turkey Federation, for getting the National Archery in the Schools program to Alaska. It has started out in 20 schools throughout Alaska and now we have another class scheduled to teach the next 20 teachers, in 5 years my hope is that is in every school district state wide. You might not agree with every decision we make but you can't think we are all bad. Any one can call me anytime and let me know if you think I am messing things up. I can handle the criticism, lord knows I have heard a lot over the years.
    Paige

Like I said Paige, you do great things. This group is not for me! It appeals little to none to the fairbanks sector! The downside to living in such a large state or just inactive'ness in the area from the ABA's board or members alike, which is more likely the case! I also don't agree on a propsal that is or has been currently drafted (and others in the past) though I cannot find the props on your webpage anymore so it's only a rumor at this point. Quiet frankly GNAA is on a slow toll to death. The only thing keeping me in is the indoor range. And even that (price wise) is to the point of not being able to compete with the local market. But that's another story in it's own right.

Hopefully Loel is doing well! Haven't heard from him in..oh...god knows how long!!!

Sounds like most.Gripe and moan but will not get involved.Always let someone else do it.Things could change for the better if you got involved and gave some of your time.

Question hey tradbow

would that be the proposal to rescind the current "wounding law" in an area of SE? the law says a wounded animal counts against your bag whether or not recovered, and ABA argued that for some reason that discriminated against bowhunters.
    none of the arguments i saw made a lick of sense.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default Far from it

Quote Originally Posted by TILT View Post
    Sounds like most.Gripe and moan but will not get involved.Always let someone else do it.Things could change for the better if you got involved and gave some of your time.
    Far from it. I donated a great deal of volunteer time to the ABA and got screwed in the end. And yes, those involved know all about it. I would be far happier with the organization if I had NOT become involved.

Fair,if you were treated wrong.Too bad someone didn't stand up and resolve it before bad feelings.Things can be fixed if people try.

Yes it is Dave!!!

Tilt, I'd gladly work for the ABA...IN FAIRBANKS!!! So far in my 10 years here there has been little to NO showing of the ABA here. There were some BH shoots back when I first arrived that have since departed, that I never did get the chance to go to due to service to my country!

The one group I am a member of currently is the PBS, and am still a member of GNAA. Got involved in a group going downhill fast. Sorry nothing I could do to bring it back so I backed off. Don't take part in it, but do still donate annually.

The PBS I'll never be able to go to, however they do great things. I'm sure the ABA does, or has the potential too however I disagree with more then I agree with that the group does, just not for me at this point. WHen they start making a showing here in town I might change that thought process of getting involved! Until then.................

Default akbowhunters

Hello Mr. Walker,
    I'm new to this stuff, I've been lurking for several years, my apologies. I signed up on the akbowhunters site several days ago and am still awaiting authorization. Is the site still active?
    I'm currently working as a contractor in Iraq installing motar protection for the military, however in the spring, I'll be moving to Alaska. For the past 5 years I've been able to spend a month or so hunting and fishing. I'm hooked. This past fall it was caribou out of Kotz.
    Thanks for your help.

Ray the activation should of got emailed to you right away.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Tradbow,sorry if I offended you in any way.It does sound like you have tried.I do know what its like when people around you just don't get it.After a person has tried I can't blame you on walking away.

Quote Originally Posted by Ms.ABA View Post
    Hi Guys,
    Thanks for the kudos above. The ABA does mean alot to me and I try to work hard at it. But, what could be done to change your mind? Can any organization make everybody happy? I have been through it all over the last 12 years I have been on board. We are the Anchorage Bowhunters, we cater to the wheel shooter and hate trad shooters, we have closed door meetings to do what we want and I can go on and on. Bottom line is that we are a board, if you don't like what we are doing join us. This election period we have a South East director, Kenai director, and two director at large positions open. Or call into the monthly meeting held on the 2nd Wed of each month, 1-800-315-6338 and tell us how we are screwing up. As of last month we are partially responsible, along with the Turkey Federation, for getting the National Archery in the Schools program to Alaska. It has started out in 20 schools throughout Alaska and now we have another class scheduled to teach the next 20 teachers, in 5 years my hope is that is in every school district state wide. You might not agree with every decision we make but you can't think we are all bad. Any one can call me anytime and let me know if you think I am messing things up. I can handle the criticism, lord knows I have heard a lot over the years.
    Paige
    why do you hate trad shooters? by trad shooter, i assume you mean traditional recurve type bowhunters. am i wrong here? i'm pretty new here, so i dont know what all the fuss is about.... elaborate?

Default Jmh...

I think she was trying to be facetious in the remark that she hates tradbow shooters...ABA cannot afford to be discrimintory, if they do, they will lose, & like tradbow said, too many people want something for nothing...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast