Thread: Seward Harbor

Default Seward Harbor

My son wants to go catch some flounders this weekend. As we don't have a boat we usually go to Seward and fish the docks in the harbor. Just wondering with all the rain and flooding down there this week if it would still be worth it or should we try some other type of fishing? I don't want to spend money on a charter at this time and my buddy we usually go out with is out of state visiting family til tonight. Not sure if he would want to go out tomorrow morning(I believe he comes in around midnight).

I was just out there last weekend during the rain and took my son fishing off the docks (railroad side) and didn't even get a nibble. We were out there about 45 minutes. Normally, we get hits alot. In fact, at the end of June, my friend caught a 20 lb halibut off the docks. Only cost us $5.00 in parking And it was on a 5lb test with a teeny hook.

She was lucky.

It's a bit of a ride, but the area near the dolphin pilings in Homer is loaded with flounder. Caught a few dozen each time out last year. Just go to lands end hotel and fish on the left side of the hotel. Cut flounder makes a great bait. There is a discharge pipe that spits out ground up fish and it attracts all sorts of critters. You can hook an occasional pollack also down there. The falling tide seemed more productive.

I was going to mention that too. Camp on the spit, and fish right by lands end hotel. Let the kids fish for fun, and you could try to put big bait out at low tide, and keep backing up. Salmon heads will be plentiful by the lagoon!! You might get lucky.

Default A few

We spent the day Saturday fishing the docks in Seward. Got a few cod and a few flounder. Met a really nice guy doing the same. He even gave us some he caught. Just before we left my son caught a 30 gallon rubbermade trashcan that must have fell off someone's bost. We left it on a post by the dock for the Army boats. Cooking the fish up tonight.