Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: respect for fish

Default respect for fish

Went fishing last week at sheep creek watched and boiled all day watching person after person hauling dogs or humpys on the beach unhook and then kick them back in. finally told one what i thought of this and was told to mind my own busisness. dosnt anyone have respect for what these fish went threw to get back to this place. I dont really give a rats a what kind of fish they are. Just a little respect for a resource. am i alone here because it seems this was practiced by most there.

They must have been rodney dangerfield fish "what i gotta do to get respect around here!" "i get no respect no respect!"

Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by thinice View Post
    Went fishing last week at sheep creek watched and boiled all day watching person after person hauling dogs or humpys on the beach unhook and then kick them back in. finally told one what i thought of this and was told to mind my own busisness. dosnt anyone have respect for what these fish went threw to get back to this place. I dont really give a rats a what kind of fish they are. Just a little respect for a resource. am i alone here because it seems this was practiced by most there.
    Next time just call that phone number on the back of your fishing license. That's what it's there for.... just a thought.

Default did that

no body available to stop by and check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by thinice View Post
    no body available to stop by and check it out.
    Well that sucks. Hey, you did your part and that's all anyone can ask for. Me personally, I quit getting into people's "business" a long time ago after an argument that almost went too far. You never know who'll freak out on you or physically act on pure emotion. That's why we have law enforcement. They get paid to take the risk. I always bring my 10 year old son so it's not worth it for me.

thinice, I understand just how you feel. But some folks just ain't raised right and there's no telling them how to properly respect the outdoors. If it isn't the "fishhaters" you saw, then it's some jerk stripping the bark off birch trees for his campfire, or some other bozo killing birds just to see them fall to the ground.

Not everyone was brought up to respect nature and learn to live within it...

Default That's a bummer

I hate it when that stuff goes on. But you did your part.

They trash the resource because the resource is still relatively abundant.

Just about the time the resource is on the brink of extinction and its too late, a conservation ethic will take hold.

Human nature ain't pretty.

I saw a guy foul-hooked a silver in Ship Creek 2 days ago. The guy unhooked the fish and then threw it over backwards. It was some throw! The fish landed with a loud thud on the water edge and then bled.

The guy's son (he called the guy 'dad'), seeing the fish struggling in the low water went over to assist the fish to swim out. But the fish continued bleeding and soon it wasn't able to swim. The boy continued trying to revive it but was unsuccessful while his father just didn't give a **** and continued fishing.

The boy released the fish after numerous attempts to revive the fish in the water. The fish just floated away. Seeing this the boy chased the fish and picked it up again and tried for the last time to revive it. The fish continued to bleed.

Didn't stay on to see what became of the fish. It was really disgusting to see an adult do such cruel acts while his son did the opposite. It appears that the boy had better ethics and compassion than his "grown up" father. I hope the boy doesn't follow his father's ways as he grows up.

A simple unhook and release without tossing the fish would have be more humane. Why do some people have to resort to such cruel acts?

Just because one doesn't get to keep the fish doesn't mean that he/she has to subject it to torture.

I spent a good part of yesterday showing my kids how to properly release these fish. They really enjoyed watching them take to life and swim away.

As far as the people just kicking them back into the water. Somebody ought to just kick them into the water. I realize with todays day and age you never know what kind of person that you are dealing with. I also have kids with me all the time so I try my hardest to stay out of it. It makes it even harder though when my 10 year old or 6 year old points out some ***HOLE acting like that.
    I have seen plenty of heated arguments get started from people giving their two cents.
    That is why I now go out of my way to get away from all the people. Even if the fishing isn't as good. It is at least peaceful.

I see this kind of behavior all too often. Most of the time I keep my mouth shut as most of the time I fish by myself and its usually a group of guys doing the wrong thing. On a couple of occasions I have just walked and and said "Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that the guy that just walked by called the troopers on you for snagging". It seems to work, as you are being a good guy by telling them they are in danger.

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    I see this kind of behavior all too often. Most of the time I keep my mouth shut as most of the time I fish by myself and its usually a group of guys doing the wrong thing. On a couple of occasions I have just walked and and said "Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that the guy that just walked by called the troopers on you for snagging". It seems to work, as you are being a good guy by telling them they are in danger.

OH your THAT guy!
    Semper Fi!

For the last week I've sat and watched the folks fishing pinks at Allison Point in Valdez around lunch time and in the evenings. Amazingly, over half of them are doing exactly what the OP described. Many are intentionally snagging, even though there are a million fish visible right in front of you and they are biting anything. For whatever reason they feel the need to fling out oversized hook pixies and do the "jerk" all the way to shore with retrieves so fast that a fish doesn't even have a chance to bite it.

I watched these guys drag them in by the tail time after time. Then they drag them up the beach and let them flop around for awhile to "settle down" (i.e. "die") and work on getting the hook yanked out. After ensuring their gear is in good order, they proceed to start kicking the fish all the way back down to the water. Then they are right back to another cast. I have to wonder what the heck is the point? They aren't "fishing", they are snagging. There can't be any enjoyment in the method. Most of them are wearing tennis shoes and seem to have an aversion to actually touching the fish. What the hey? Go back home and play video games if this is what you think fishing is about.

Most of those who are keeping the fish aren't treating the catch any better, dragging it up through the mud and rocks, then kicking the fish around, smashing the head with a rock, then unhooking it. Some just let them lie out on the beach, others toss them into a bucket/bag/cooler and go back to fishing. I'm sure most of them will complain about how the pinks don't taste as good... even though it's their own dang fault for not taking care of the catch.

I've only seen one guy all week bleed his fish and handle them like they are food. I'm sure he's going to eat well.

And by the way... snagging is legal in PWS salt water, so there is nothing one can do against these folks.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

You don't suppose that would be considered molesting the resource?

Maybe there should be 2 lines of fishermen on each shore. One that fishes for fish and the second to fish for the molesters to show them what its like

Then there are the people who walk all over the bank even though the signs say to NOT do it since they are trying to revegetate the area. I guess the sign is for everyone BUT them.

I guess they just don't get it. I'd love to see the man write them a little love note for their ignorance.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I am glad that as a society... this is all we have to whine about... how other people treat their food...

dead is dead...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thanks for reminding me why I quit posting in these forums.

Call Fish and Game, they'll know what to do.
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

ysr, you're little smiley trap shooter keeps shooting way under the birds, yet they keep breaking. How's he do that? Cuz it would really help my game next Sunday at the gun club.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I completely agree with how aweful people treat the fish, but whats the difference between killing a fish with a rock to the head or cutting the gills...its going to get filleted and eaten anyway.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast