Thread: Here's something you don't see every day

Default Here's something you don't see every day

I took my Dad out in PWS today to go shrimping. On the way out there was a commotion--splashing and thrashing so we went over to it. It looked like two mammals fighting. As we got closer it was a sea lion throwing something into the air and tearing it up. Eating it. I thought it was a shark or porpoise, but when I got the digital camera home and looked at the pictures, I think it was a small whale. Anyway here are the two pictures I have, the blurry one is the one that shows it being thrown into the air one of the times. The tail makes me think it is a whale, but what do you people think?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default Shark

Second photo looks like a small shark....due to the outline of the tail and pectoral fin.

Hard to tell what proportion things are, but I'd guess that it's a shark, too. Just from shape alone.

I have to agree the second picture looks like a dogfish, the small sharks that get caught out there. Cool pictures what ever it is.

Default I go with Shark

Great Pictures, That would be something really neat to see. The second picture definately looks like a shark. And judging by the size I would think it's too big to be a dogfish. It's not a huge shark but I've never seen a dogfish that had a tail the size of a seagul. Plus in the first picture you can make out the head of the shark and it's head is roughly the same size as the sealions head. Once I saw a sealion go after a salmon shark it took awhile but in the end the sealion got his meal.

Default Salmon Shark

The second picture is definately a Salmon Shark. We had about 7 salmon sharks patrolling our beach in Kodiak for about 5 or 6 days one summer. They would swim around their prey in 25' circles, then surge up out of the middle catching some air, then thrashing their tails as they landed back in the water... VERY COOL to watch.

~AKBoatR

Yep...I`d say a small/medium salmon shark...you can see the gill cuts upside down in the first pic. Very cool!

No idea what is being thrown...but that is just sick. Something you do not see everyday!!

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

Default Appears to be a salmon shark

Look at the tail dogfish have a smaller bottom lobe on the tail. Salmon sharks have more equal sized lobes to swim faster.

Cool.

I saw one fighting (choking on an octopus once). It was holding its head out of the water choking and gagging. Poor octopus almost got a sea but not quite.